Sponsored

Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload?

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After reading through the payload thread, I'm probably going to start looking at other options. I mean, I guess I could just wait until the kids are out of the house but with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, we're already over 600lb and I was looking at a 4-door 2.7 SAS BL. I thought my wife's TRD Off Road Tacoma was bad at 950lb payload...but ~700lb just does not work for us.

I won't consider a Jeep. Guess that leaves me with either a lesser Bronco, a 4Runner (depending on payload...local dealer has a TRD Off Road Premium and it's $12k less than the Bronco I had priced out) or just keeping my truck and picking up a SxS and trailer. Even though I love my truck, 5 years and 110k miles in, I've got the itch...

What to do...what to do...
Sponsored

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I looked at the 4Runner. It certainly ticks all the boxes for practicality and it's a well known off road vehicle, but I just can't get past the snooze factor.

I'm making some concessions to practicality with my Bronco build, but I want a fun car. I'm hoping the payload doesn't end up being a big ssue.

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know for sure what the payload will be? I know there has been some educated guesses but for gods sake my Jetta tdi sportwagen has a 990lb payload Capacity.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am just reconsidering the sas package. I think payload on that is going to be very small. BB, BD, and OBX should be fine for towing a small trailer which is all I need.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No. Not considering other machines. I'm not going to work about exceeding some number rather than using my "Is that truck overloaded" eyeball-brain-meter. If it looks crazy unsafe then it is but that takes a lot of work "usually".

As long as you don't drive it like a Corvette then it should be fine.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am just reconsidering the sas package. I think payload on that is going to be very small. BB, BD, and OBX should be fine for towing a small trailer which is all I need.
No on BD. It is very likely a top offender like a BL. Same armor

OP, I take it you are referring to my excel charts posted this evening?

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It definitely has me with a bit of a wondering eye too. I wish Ford would share some more concrete data. They are surely monitoring these forums and if they had good news to share I think they would.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very close. Depends on what the actual 4dr BL, non-squatch, 2.7, hard top, lux payload will be.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

700?! That is ridiculous. My family of 4 is over that. Hell, even at our fittest weights we would be at about 690.

Probably won't change my mind about buying, but jeez 700 is pathetic.

I'll have to look at the wght thread.

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No on BD. It is very likely a top offender like a BL. Same armor

OP, I take it you are referring to my excel charts posted this evening?
It won't be as good as BB or OBX but overall without Sas and disconnect it will be a good part better.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It definitely has me with a bit of a wondering eye too. I wish Ford would share some more concrete data. They are surely monitoring these forums and if they had good news to share I think they would.
I agree. I took the initiative to run the numbers to get a sense of things. Certain trims really stand out as being problematic. Although most seem manageable. What did I do? I tweeted Farley with a link to the thread. He acknowledged and commented with ā€˜Thanks!ā€™. They know. Theyā€™ve known since they published curb weights in July. it doesnā€™t take a genius to know that an FE with 5320 curb weight could become an issue if GVWR is capped in the high 5000s / 6000.

For what itā€™s worth, Jeep finally broke through a GVWR of 6000 by getting approved for 6100 on the Rubi Ecodiesel which made headline news. Why? Because it also opens up the customer to pass thru tax rebates for a different class vehicle if used for work. Donā€™t think itā€™s a walk in the park for Ford to eek out payloads greater than 6000. Although that doesnā€™t necessarily mean the chassis couldnt handle more weight, which Iā€™m sure it could.

If it wasnā€™t as bad as what we assume, Ford would follow up with good news. But thatā€™s not the case. Itā€™s quite the contrary.

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Right, I'm sure Ford knows the data and rather than share they are going out of their way to hide it. Even the dude in the Bronco Nation video last week said he wasn't allowed to show the door sticker with payload. We may not know until the first Broncos get delivered.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nah. I don't even come close to pushing the limits on my Jeep and I don't see that changing much with the Bronco. I don't have a trailer and I don't overland. It's just a DD/weekend warrior where the most payload will come from a passenger not cargo.

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m just getting a skinnier wife and not inviting my kids