Sponsored

Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Nope, ain’t happening! Will get a smaller payload first!
Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I looked through the wght thread. My 2 dr non squatch, 2.3 manual isn't 700 lbs pathetic, but is not good. My crappy impreza has a 1300 lb capacity.

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yes, it's a major concern. As a FE reservation holder and family of 5, it's looking like a useless vehicle at the moment. An expensive one at that.

Not sure what we plan on doing.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Currently my largest concern, other than just constant delays

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’m just getting a skinnier wife and not inviting my kids
My wife doesn’t weigh all that much and wouldn’t go without her, kids are grown, and no more dogs. Maybe less beer? Not worried about it.

Sponsored

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife doesn’t weigh all that much and wouldn’t go without her, kids are grown, and no more dogs. Maybe less beer? Not worried about it.
How much shit are people planning to take overlanding?!? It’s insanity that people are worried about payload

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much shit are people planning to take overlanding?!? It’s insanity that people are worried about payload
My family is about 750 lbs, here in utah we often go to areas with no water and never went with less than 10 gallons, camping equipment, food, minimal recovery equipment, I'm looking at over 900 lbs if we travel light.

Edit: I just added up a typical trip and we are closer to 1000lbs.

Wonder what the filson bronco weighs.

Last edited:

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. Not considering other machines. I'm not going to work about exceeding some number rather than using my "Is that truck overloaded" eyeball-brain-meter. If it looks crazy unsafe then it is but that takes a lot of work "usually".

As long as you don't drive it like a Corvette then it should be fine.
Agreed. On the payload question and also on the towing question. I feel like I have enough experience driving both "within spec" and "over spec" to know when I'm asking for trouble. I don't give two shits about "but if you get in an accident you are liable blah blah". Ain't livin my life scared of that bullshit.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I kind of agree, but some of the numbers thrown around put four passengers at nearly the limit, add a few duffel bags and a cooler and you're over weight..

.... not that I have ever heard of a POV getting weighed by D.O.T., especially a passenger vehicle.

I suppose, you get in a wreck(not your fault) and it rolls andthey prove you're overweight....you may have to eat the liability.
Not sure if that's the concern?????

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m just getting a skinnier wife and not inviting my kids
I take it you’re either single or looking forward to being one? :devilish:;)

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was washing my stang today and decided to look at the GVWR sticker for kicks.

It has a payload of 700lbs

I’m sure I’ve exceeded that every time I’ve had 4 passengers in it. Not once has it ever affected my vehicle dynamics in any noticeable way. I certainly never felt unsafe.

There are probably so many factors of safety built into it. I plan on handling it on my bronco the same way I’ve been handling it in my stang. Not giving two craps about it lol ??‍♂

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. On the payload question and also on the towing question. I feel like I have enough experience driving both "within spec" and "over spec" to know when I'm asking for trouble. I don't give two shits about "but if you get in an accident you are liable blah blah". Ain't livin my life scared of that bullshit.
....and another thing....

I realize this is comparing apples to typewriters and is also just one anecdotal example....but walk along with me here for a sec....I got a 2000 model Honda 450 four wheeler I bought brand new. I'm not going google the specs, but I do recall laughing at the max load capacities of the front and back racks. They were like 100 pounds or so. We built aluminum full overhead cage racks with windshields, creating basically a mini side by side. I have carried two grown ass men, deer on front rack, pirogue on the overhead rack which had two climbing stands strapped in....you see what I'm getting at here? They gotta publish what the lawyers tell em. I mean if the Bronco payload spec is REALLLLLY way off of what you want to do with a vehicle, (I hate what I am about to say here because it has become such a smart ass go-to comeback on this forum...ok nevermind I won't say it). Bottom line, if its got 5 seats, I'll put 5 people. If the gear fits in the overhead racks, storage area behind the seats, and the dra tite hitch basket, load 'er up and have a great trip. F' that payload spec.
Sponsored