First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
True, but we don't know how much help the electric is, because they don't state that.
I agree that there are definitely some assumptions in my math, but my general take away, is that they are far closer in cost than I ever would have guessed. The jeep probably has the edge, but not by enough that it would ever impact my decision. I would have though there was a greater benefit to the hybrid powertrain (other than the obvious HP and torque benefits).
Sponsored

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm guessing they are using funky math to get the 50 MPGe.

They are assuming that for daily driving you will not drive the first 25 miles on the electric motor and then consume all the fuel until it's empty before charging the battery. But, you will drive your daily miles and then recharge the battery each night or extended stop. For daily driving it will primarily rely on the electric motor and battery for output. But the ICE is their to kick in for longer trips, so that the average expected MPGe is 50.
MPGe is actually a straightforward formula set forward by the epa. It equates energy density between the fuel types. To do the math, 1 gallon of gas has 33.7 kw Hrs of energy. To calculate MPGe, the car drives 100 miles and they calculate the total energy consumed (from both electricity and fuel combined over those 100 miles.

MPGe = (100 mi)/(Energy used/33.7 kwhr))

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm guessing they are using funky math to get the 50 MPGe.

They are assuming that for daily driving you will not drive the first 25 miles on the electric motor and then consume all the fuel until it's empty before charging the battery. But, you will drive your daily miles and then recharge the battery each night or extended stop. For daily driving it will primarily rely on the electric motor and battery for output. But the ICE is their to kick in for longer trips, so that the average expected MPGe is 50.
This is not a plug in electric, it is a hybrid, so it only charges when the engine is running, from the integrated system.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i don't care cuz i FKNG HATE the ride in a Jeep Wrangler ..... I hope the Bronco feels better cuz of a different suspension setup
Okay cool. Your comment has nothing to do with the discussion. Go post about that in one of the millions of ride quality threads.

OP is talking about cost to drive in this thread, not opinions on the ride quality of the two vehicles.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is not a plug in electric, it is a hybrid, so it only charges when the engine is running, from the integrated system.
It actually is a plug in electric. You can charge it from the wall outlet in your house.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Okay cool. Your comment has nothing to do with the discussion. Go post about that in one of the millions of ride quality threads.

OP is talking about cost to drive in this thread, not opinions on the ride quality of the two vehicles.
but the bottom line of the OP is selection! isn't it?

besides all that is based on Lithium ion batteries while Solid State batteries are coming soon with twice the range .... The EV game will be changing very soon anyways

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It actually is a plug in electric. You can charge it from the wall outlet in your house.
I missed that, I would hope it is a stage 2 charging system, 30-40 amp 220V, much faster charging as a 110v 15 amp would be slow.

*note* I checked, it is a stage two charger, so you need a permit and electrician to install the charger, unless you already have a 220 outlet in the garage.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, it will take approximately 2.38 gallons of fuel to travel 50 miles in the Bronco, and the Jeep is 1 gallon (equivalent) to travel 50 miles.

Fuel costs (equivalents) are significantly different.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

WOW!! don't forget to include the cost of the Jeep Charger from Amazon $621.00 plus install!!! that adds a lot!

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I guess the simplified version of this story is as follows:

*When driving in gas mode, the wrangler 4xe achieves a marginally better fuel economy (But very similar) to its non electric version.
*Your electric cost savings will vary based on when you charge and the cost of electricity in your region.
*Because of the comparably high cost of electricity in Michigan, it is actually more expensive to drive on electricity than driving on gas at current rates. (This does not go for all electric vehicles, just the wrangler since its MPGe rating is low when compared against other electrics)

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think your formulas are equivalent. Mine may not be either.

One of your formulas is cost per mpg and the other is range divided by cost to fill up.

Equivalent formulas are cost per gallon/mpg
Jeep is (2.33+.115)/50 = $0.0489
Bronco is (2.33)/21 = $.1109
The bronco math is correct, here, but the jeep math doesn't make sense.

Above you add ( $/gal + $/mile ) / MPGe. Purely from a units standpoint, this does not work. However, this is the exact reason why this comparison was tricky, because gas and electric cars mileage are compared based on an energy usage standpoint, but this has nothing to do with cost since gas and electricity have different fuel costs associated and they are calculated differently.

I came up with a better way to do the same math and summarized it below. The results were the same as the original post. This treated the electric cars in the same fashion as a gas car and calculated a Mi/kw hour rate for multiple electric vehicles. Using the cost of electricity, you can then calculate the cost per mile of travel.

Looking purely at the Wrangler 4xe in Electric only mode, you can calculate the miles it can travel per Kilowatt hour. For the electric vehicles, the higher the mi/Kw ratio, the more efficient the electric vehicle and therefore, lower the cost per mile of driving. Comparing the Wrangler 4xe to other electric vehicles, it is by far the least efficient electric vehicle. Even compared to the cyber truck it is garbage for energy efficiency. It shouldn't be a surprise since it has the same aerodynamics as a brick. It is so bad, that it is effectively the same efficiency as its own gas counterpart.

Now that being said, it still only uses the energy equivalent of 50 MPG to achieve this feat (Less total energy usage compared to gas engines). So you will save a few polar bears, but it won't save you any money at the pump where other electrics and PEHVs will.

Wrangler 4xe compared to other electrics
Range (mi)Battery Energy Storage (kw)mi/kwCost/mile MICost Per Mile US
Wrangler 4xe (Pure Electric)
25​
17.3​
1.45​
0.118​
0.093​
Nissan leaf
151​
40​
3.78​
0.045​
0.036​
Tesla model 3
310​
75​
4.13​
0.041​
0.033​
Tesla model y
250​
75​
3.33​
0.051​
0.041​
Cyber Truck
240​
100​
2.40​
0.071​
0.056​
Mustang Mach E
300​
88​
3.41​
0.050​
0.040​
Bronco (only gas in list)
0.111​
0.111​

Gas Cost
2.33​
Elect Cost
0.17​
National Avg elec
0.135​

Seralan

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 2500HD, Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco math is correct, here, but the jeep math doesn't make sense.

Above you add ( $/gal + $/mile ) / MPGe. Purely from a units standpoint, this does not work. However, this is the exact reason why this comparison was tricky, because gas and electric cars mileage are compared based on an energy usage standpoint, but this has nothing to do with cost since gas and electricity have different fuel costs associated and they are calculated differently.

I came up with a better way to do the same math and summarized it below. The results were the same as the original post. This treated the electric cars in the same fashion as a gas car and calculated a Mi/kw hour rate for multiple electric vehicles. Using the cost of electricity, you can then calculate the cost per mile of travel.

Looking purely at the Wrangler 4xe in Electric only mode, you can calculate the miles it can travel per Kilowatt hour. For the electric vehicles, the higher the mi/Kw ratio, the more efficient the electric vehicle and therefore, lower the cost per mile of driving. Comparing the Wrangler 4xe to other electric vehicles, it is by far the least efficient electric vehicle. Even compared to the cyber truck it is garbage for energy efficiency. It shouldn't be a surprise since it has the same aerodynamics as a brick. It is so bad, that it is effectively the same efficiency as its own gas counterpart.

Now that being said, it still only uses the energy equivalent of 50 MPG to achieve this feat (Less total energy usage compared to gas engines). So you will save a few polar bears, but it won't save you any money at the pump where other electrics and PEHVs will.

Wrangler 4xe compared to other electrics
Range (mi)Battery Energy Storage (kw)mi/kwCost/mile MICost Per Mile US
Wrangler 4xe (Pure Electric)
25​
17.3​
1.45​
0.118​
0.093​
Nissan leaf
151​
40​
3.78​
0.045​
0.036​
Tesla model 3
310​
75​
4.13​
0.041​
0.033​
Tesla model y
250​
75​
3.33​
0.051​
0.041​
Cyber Truck
240​
100​
2.40​
0.071​
0.056​
Mustang Mach E
300​
88​
3.41​
0.050​
0.040​
Bronco (only gas in list)
0.111​
0.111​

Gas Cost
2.33​
Elect Cost
0.17​
National Avg elec
0.135​
It won't make a tremendous difference, but EVs do not ever use the entire quoted capacity. Often only around 80% is available before the battery management system will cut you off.
Sponsored