Roof rack carrier for 2nd row hard-top panel - 4dr

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While I love the fact that you can remove the panels from both the first and second rows with the 4dr hard-top, it's also a concern leaving home without the 2nd row panel. What happens if you want to park on the street later in the day? If it rains? People get cold/hot/etc.? The front panels can be stored in the back, but not the 2nd row.

What would be awesome is if there was a roof rack/accessory that you could attach the 2nd row panel over the rear part of the top that stays on. Pop the 2nd row up there, put the first row panels in the back and have all the pieces with you. Best of both worlds from a fun, protection, and security standpoint.

I know people will just tell me to get the soft top, but that opens up a whole new set of issues too.

Maybe I'll just have to design and sell it myself :)
Sponsored

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somewhere I saw a picture of a 4 door with a roof rack that only attached to the rear section of the hard top. With that rack, it would be easy to figure out a way to carry the mid section on the hard top.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I won’t tell you to get a soft-top. Get a 2DR. Problem solved. ?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Somewhere I saw a picture of a 4 door with a roof rack that only attached to the rear section of the hard top. With that rack, it would be easy to figure out a way to carry the mid section on the hard top.
Devils advocate - the whole rack would mount to that clamshell. You're mounting a "wing" onto (roughly) fiberglass with no tie in to steel. Not thinking that could end up very well after a trip on the highway.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here it is. It was on the fishing concept vehicle. I'd be interested in this roof rack.

Ford Bronco Roof rack carrier for 2nd row hard-top panel - 4dr 1610571085230

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here it is. It was on the fishing concept vehicle. I'd be interested in this roof rack.

Ford Bronco Roof rack carrier for 2nd row hard-top panel - 4dr 1610571085230
Ford said this was only a proof-of-concept and was not (currently) planned for production.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I love the fact that you can remove the panels from both the first and second rows with the 4dr hard-top, it's also a concern leaving home without the 2nd row panel. What happens if you want to park on the street later in the day? If it rains? People get cold/hot/etc.? The front panels can be stored in the back, but not the 2nd row.

What would be awesome is if there was a roof rack/accessory that you could attach the 2nd row panel over the rear part of the top that stays on. Pop the 2nd row up there, put the first row panels in the back and have all the pieces with you. Best of both worlds from a fun, protection, and security standpoint.

I know people will just tell me to get the soft top, but that opens up a whole new set of issues too.

Maybe I'll just have to design and sell it myself :)
This does not need to be solved by Ford.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It makes me laugh to think that we're trying to come up with a way to store the roof on the roof.
This is not a new problem. :) Here is a video on how to store your Corvette t-tops on the luggage rack.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It makes me laugh to think that we're trying to come up with a way to store the roof on the roof.
Now only if we could find a way to store the doors in the doors!

To be fair, I get his point. If you are leaving the Whole top on to venture out, decide later you want the roof open (cube on), I would also be inclined to store the roof panels on a rack on that cube if it ended up looking halfway decent an didn't cause 100db of wind noise, as the doors would be in the back also, leaving no room for the roof.
It is a quandary.
However, we are already an evolution step forward of the direct competitor on on-board storage in stock form.
I'm sure some aftermarket will come up with a clever way to store stuff.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford said this was only a proof-of-concept and was not (currently) planned for production.
True, but I think I'd still be interested. Even better if it had detachable rails the came to the front windshield. That would provide all sorts of options. Sort of a mashup of the standard rack and the fishing concept rack.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now only if we could find a way to store the doors in the doors!

To be fair, I get his point. If you are leaving the Whole top on to venture out, decide later you want the roof open (cube on), I would also be inclined to store the roof panels on a rack on that cube if it ended up looking halfway decent an didn't cause 100db of wind noise, as the doors would be in the back also, leaving no room for the roof.
It is a quandary.
However, we are already an evolution step forward of the direct competitor on on-board storage in stock form.
I'm sure some aftermarket will come up with a clever way to store stuff.
Now I want to find a way to hang the front set of doors off the rear quarters to have more space in the cargo area...

Door saddle bags?

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I won’t tell you to get a soft-top. Get a 2DR. Problem solved. ?
If I thought a 2dr would meet my needs I definitely would, but I know it's too small for my use. TBH the 4dr is on the small side too, but I can manage that.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now I want to find a way to hang the front set of doors off the rear quarters to have more space in the cargo area...

Door saddle bags?
Oddly enough...I would not be one bit surprised if something comes out just like that. Hmm. You may have a multi-million $ idea. Better patent that statement or screenshot it or something!
I mean, someone somewhere dreamt up the "angry eyes" Jeep grille, and someone took it a step further and made those hideous snarling, huge grille bolt-ons... and whoever it was is laughing while sipping cold drinks on his Caribbean yacht.
Sponsored