Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I looked at Defenders build and price last month and several times before that and it only showed a first edition 90 for 65k.
Now they show many models and the first edition is 76k and thats the cheapest one with the air suspension.
What did I miss?
Sponsored

saltyNarwhal

Wildtrak
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I looked at Defenders build and price last month and several times before that and it only showed a first edition 90 for 65k.
Now they show many models and the first edition is 76k and thats the cheapest one with the air suspension.
What did I miss?
The 90 comes standard with coil suspension on most models but air suspension can be optioned in. Air suspension is standard on the 110.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 90 comes standard with coil suspension on most models but air suspension can be optioned in. Air suspension is standard on the 110.
I see all that now.
Still wondering what i was looking at for 1st ed for 65k though.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great!
My build came out to 74k on the Defender!
Sure, I can whittle that down a bit but then what's the point.
Looks like its full speed ahead on the Bronco lol.
Its actually for the wife.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bottom line: I just called the dealer nearest me with the highest rating (there are four within a short drive from me) and scheduled a test-drive for tomorrow to see what I think of the 110 with P300 engine; of course I’ll also test drive the P400. And, heck, might as well check out the 90 while I’m there.
90s haven't arrived yet to my knowledge. I think they're expecting mid 2021' let me kw how.thr drive goes

Sponsored

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
90s haven't arrived yet to my knowledge. I think they're expecting mid 2021' let me kw how.thr drive goes
Thanks for the heads-up! I’d been so focused on the Bronco I had not realized the 90s haven’t hit the ground here yet. Bummer!

Primm907

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan S, Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Reading through this thread may end up being a very bad thing for me...

I've built out a 90 numerous times in the past, but yesterday I did more of a "what I really need/use case vs. want" build.

P300 S model with 18" steelies, air suspension, and couple more random items. It came out to about $57k. Once you throw on some Johnson Rods and 33" RWL tires, it's pretty much there.

Now the crucial question is whether or not the LR is worth $5k more than my $52k Wildtrak build; especially considering the historical LR dependability concerns. But, the ride comfort and interior build quality is quite attractive.

I was kind of leaning on the Bronco aspect of removable top and doors, but I've always kept a "fun" car in the garage, too. So, it's beginning to make more sense for the more daily-able vehicle to not necessarily be capable of toplessness, and go convertible on the toy. :unsure:

The struggle is real.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I've built out a 90 numerous times in the past, but yesterday I did more of a "what I really need/use case vs. want" build.

P300 S model with 18" steelies, air suspension, and couple more random items. It came out to about $57k. Once you throw on some Johnson Rods and 33" RWL tires, it's pretty much there.

Now the crucial question is whether or not the LR is worth $5k more than my $52k Wildtrak build; especially considering the historical LR dependability concerns. But, the ride comfort and interior build quality is quite attractive.

I was kind of leaning on the Bronco aspect of removable top and doors, but I've always kept a "fun" car in the garage, too. So, it's beginning to make more sense for the more daily-able vehicle to not necessarily be capable of toplessness, and go convertible on the toy. :unsure:

The struggle is real.
I am back and forth as well. The ride quality is tempting for a daily especially if I add an old beater without a top for fun.

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

...yesterday I did more of a "what I really need/use case vs. want" build.

P300 S model with 18" steelies, air suspension, and couple more random items. It came out to about $57k.

The struggle is real.
Yes, the struggle is real! So real, in fact, that I actually test drove the 110 with the P300. Had about 35 minutes with it and loved it! I had to consciously stop myself from impulsively placing an order right then and there!

Last edited:

Primm907

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan S, Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, the struggle is real! So real, in fact, that I actually test drove the 110 with the P300. Had about 35 minutes with it and loved it! I had to consciously stop myself from impulsively placing an order right then and there!
Any immediate thoughts on your test drive you might share? That's another potential negative for me... closest LR dealership is about 1.5 hours away. Thinking I need to make a quick trip soon to do a test drive myself.

Sponsored

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any immediate thoughts on your test drive you might share? That's another potential negative for me... closest LR dealership is about 1.5 hours away. Thinking I need to make a quick trip soon to do a test drive myself.
My immediate thought before I even got in the vehicle was that I loved the look and appointments. In terms of driving, I expected it to be sluggish given how heavy it is, but that was not the case. I left the music off for the first half of the drive so I could hear and feel more of the vehicle, and I was so impressed. In merging into the highway leaving the dealership in Bethesda, MD I was really surprised at the get up and go it had. I did not bother trying out the P400 because I was concerned feeling that power I’d reconsider, but driving only the P300 I was extremely satisfied. I’m also more than satisfied with the tow capacity for the P300, but would I turn down the P400 and its additional tow capacity? Of course not. Now I’ll admit I have no idea what the P300 would be like at higher altitudes, so that should be a consideration for those living in such an environment, particularly if towing up a steep grade I’d imagine. I think for me, the Defender will be able to do everything I want to do, BUT... I recognize there is a very spotty record of reliability with the brand, so that is my ONLY pause. We’re that NOT the case, I’d order today! So, I’m still in a holding pattern but I am leaning more toward getting a Defender than I was before the test drive. Oh, and the dealer/salesperson was awesome and didn’t pretend to know what he didn’t, but still had a lot of useful information. Hope that helps! Guess I have until March to decide which direction to go (maybe even longer if I place the Bronco order in March, then still have the option to cancel should I not be satisfied with it when it shows up for delivery).

Last edited:

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
New Smoking Tire video review just released where they FLOG this thing. Hard to resist...

Does reliability, a convertible top, and lower price mean more than day to day comfort? It's a hard question.

Sure would be nice to have some independent video reviews of the Bronco...

Edit:
Additional podcast where the same guys discuss Defender vs. Bronco/Wrangler, etc. Sounds like press cars for the Bronco Sport aren't available until March...

They really didnt do anything a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk couldn't do I dont think.
Not sure how much I trust Matt Farah reviews anymore now that he has become more of a salesman of products to support his purchases of high end cars......
But yeah, Im sure the Defender is as capable as almost anything out there.
He DID acknowledge the air suspension WILL fail. Thats probably a 4-6k dollar repair.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

The struggle is real.
Im not sure its so easy to lift an air suspension.
Have you checked that out?

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He DID acknowledge the air suspension WILL fail. Thats probably a 4-6k dollar repair.
I missed that when watching the video the other day before I went in to test drive one yesterday. I didn’t realize they’d said that, so I’ll watch it again. Thanks.

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They really didnt do anything a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk couldn't do I dont think.
Not sure how much I trust Matt Farah reviews anymore now that he has become more of a salesman of products to support his purchases of high end cars......
But yeah, Im sure the Defender is as capable as almost anything out there.
I really liked the podcast discussion where they discuss not just what different cars CAN do, but what the experience is like when you're doing it. It seems like the Defender pretty much puts offroading in "easy mode"... but I'm not sure that that's necessarily the experience that everyone wants. They liken it to driving a manual sportscar vs something numb and comfortable.

Then there's always the question of durability and how often these rigs really go offroad. Do you really want to bash and flog that air suspension on the regular?

Finally, you can tell that his buddy Zack (mostly off camera) is much more pro-Jeep, and gave a fairly positive review of the JL months back. Even Farah seems to recognize the Bronco appeal, but his love for nice exclusive things likely wins out. This is a debate that won't be ending anytime soon...
Sponsored