Sponsored

Overlanding in a badlands 2 door (982lb payload)

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So im pretty much settled on the badlands 2.7 sas and i want to know if the small (982lb) payload is going to be a problem.

I know that jeeps have similar payloads and they seem to be fine. Any overlanders out there want to give me some advice on this? im ordering the car pretty much without any major accessories (other than flip down table) because i figure there will be better ones in 2 years.

plan is to start local (east coast) and then eventually branch out to do really hardcore stuff out west with my dad when he retires.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There was practically a carbon copy of this thread a few days ago. You need to decide what you need to carry and decide if the payload is enough for that. OR buy the truck you want and make your payload fit within it's specs.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There was practically a carbon copy of this thread a few days ago. You need to decide what you need to carry and decide if the payload is enough for that. OR buy the truck you want and make your payload fit within it's specs.
this really doesnt help at all. Im asking experienced overlanders what their opinion is of the payload and if its doable or if its simply too small a payload for real overlanding trips

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So im pretty much settled on the badlands 2.7 sas and i want to know if the small (982lb) payload is going to be a problem.

I know that jeeps have similar payloads and they seem to be fine. Any overlanders out there want to give me some advice on this? im ordering the car pretty much without any major accessories (other than flip down table) because i figure there will be better ones in 2 years.

plan is to start local (east coast) and then eventually branch out to do really hardcore stuff out west with my dad when he retires.
Great overland site: https://expeditionportal.com/

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...adlands-simply-not-be-able-to-overland.10940/

It was @beachman101's own thread.

Dude. Add all the weight up of all the crap you're hauling. Does it come in below or over the payload? Do you care or not if it does?

It's very simple.

Sponsored

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those numbers are a guess right now. And if that number is right, a vehicle weighing in over that going off road for a temporary point in time isn't going to do anything to the vehicle (assuming you aren't throwing 2000lbs on it). Take a look at most Jeeps, off-road trucks, they're all over weight for the most part.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those numbers are a guess right now. And if that number is right, a vehicle weighing in over that going off road for a temporary point in time isn't going to do anything to the vehicle (assuming you aren't throwing 2000lbs on it). Take a look at most Jeeps, off-road trucks, they're all over weight for the most part.
so its not going to snap the car suspension if im loaded to say 1100 or something?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
this really doesnt help at all. Im asking experienced overlanders what their opinion is of the payload and if its doable or if its simply too small a payload for real overlanding trips
The answers are vague because there isn't a single formula for how overlanding happens. Everyone has different needs. Start listing out what YOU are going to need to bring with you when you go. That's the only way to understand if the payload is going to be a limiting factor.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so its not going to snap the car suspension if im loaded to say 1100 or something?
Not remotely, unless while over weight you also decide to bend your vehicle over rocks IMHO. I routinely had my old F150 considerably over payload hauling wood to fire departments, never broke a thing on it.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

trying to be polite when i say im fully aware that you have to add up weight

this is not what im asking
I'll also be polite and say the answer is in that other thread you posted this week.

It's also in all the other threads on this same topic.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll also be polite and say the answer is in that other thread you posted this week.

It's also in all the other threads on this same topic.
would i have made this thread if i got any real answers other than HUR HUR DO MATH

@lowmpg is an example of the help im looking for.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
would i have made this thread if i got any real answers other than HUR HUR DO MATH

So what you're actually asking is not what you asked. What you really want to know is, if you buy the vehicle with the low payload and throw everything and the kitchen sink into it, are you going to be in for a bad day?

Probably not. You're way more likely to blow your suspension before you ever do something to the frame. The Bronco is short enough that bending the frame due to overloading is unlikely vs a pickup truck where the frame is much longer and a lot hangs behind the rear wheels.

You can upgrade suspension to counteract the added weight in the vehicle. If you're overlanding like most youtubers out there, you will almost certainly need to do that.

The one big caveat here is if you plan to tow. Towing a trailer, especially one that exceeds the towing rating can get into dangerous territory very quickly.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Although I may not have the level of Overlanding experience you seek, my experience has been on long kayak camping expeditions and I understand the importance of total weight and weight distribution in/on a vehicle. I currently have the benefit of lightweight camping gear and will incorporate it into my land-based Overlanding adventures. So yes, I have the same plan to equip my Badlands 2-door for long overland camping trips. I believe the GVWR will not hinder my plans.

With our Badlands 2-door model, the size of the fuel tank could be a limiting factor. We may need to store the extra fuel containers on a roof rack since other exterior mounting options do not appear ready via the aftermarket. When you factor in the weight of the rack and four gallons of fuel, we add approximately 100lbs of weight. Initially, I will tent camp and may consider another alternative down the trail. As I contemplate changes, I will visit a CAT Scales location to track my gross vehicle weight. With the Badlands model, the armor is heavy. To reduce that weight the aftermarket may eventually have lighter aluminum alternatives to the bumpers, bash plates, and rock rails. That could give us additional options such as adding in a tongue weight factor with a lightweight camper/trailer.

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to circle back with any questions/concerns.