Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 2.7L, 93 Bronco 5.8L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any of you lucky enough to see a Bronco in the wild - any chance you took photos of the rear undercarriage? (either with or without the towing package installed) I'm curious if a certain competitor's aftermarket hitch would bolt up just as easy, not worried about wiring as I can do that myself and more than likely my cargo hitch won't require it anyways. This won't be a trailer towing vehicle in the near future.

I want to say I remember seeing something somewhere, but with the vast number of post here I can't find it in search (yes for all you super helpful people :rolleyes::sneaky:, I've used Google and searched on the site here - if you have the magic search terms by all means please comment).

Thanks y'all
Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't think it'll work, but the design looks simply enough that the aftermarket should come out with something really quick.

Here's a link to JK and JL hitch. Even though we are not able to tell the exact measurements, the JK/JL hitch have the 4 nut/bolt holes evenly spaced

Here's a picture of the bronco frame showing the hitch. The spacing in the middle is greater than the sides.

bronco_parts_03-jpg.jpg

Peter

OP
OP
Java9

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think it'll work, but the design looks simply enough that the aftermarket should come out with something really quick.

Here's a link to JK and JL hitch. Even though we are not able to tell the exact measurements, the JK/JL hitch have the 4 nut/bolt holes evenly spaced

Here's a picture of the bronco frame showing the hitch. The spacing in the middle is greater than the sides.

Ford Bronco Towing Package Photos??? bronco_parts_03-

Peter
THANK YOU!!! - I knew I saw something but couldn't remember where. I saw how easy the JK/JL install is, which just makes the $600 Ford wants - not worth the cost (IMO) With the ordering opening up soon I am really trying to narrow down my needs vs. wants lol.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Buying a base, so no hitch for me. Good riddance. Will buy a class III or IV after market which attaches to the frame as opposed to 4 bolts in a cross member. Far more stable...

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, the hitch itself is dirt cheap from aftermarket. However, I am still considering getting the tow package.

I have watched a few 7pin harness install videos on the wrangler, and I am getting too lazy to tear my brand new car apart just to do that. Remember, the 7 pin has the brake controller wire (that you will need to route to the dash area) and a higher amperage 12v (that you'll probably want to run to the battery).

I have done a few stereo installs, including running power and signal to the hatch/trunk area for a sub. I am NOT looking forward to spending the time tearing apart the brand new Bronco just for the trailer wiring. It's a few hundred I think I am willing to spend (at this stage in life) to avoid the headaches.

Peter

Sponsored
OP
OP
Java9

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buying a base, so no hitch for me. Good riddance. Will buy a class III or IV after market which attaches to the frame as opposed to 4 bolts in a cross member. Far more stable...
I'd be interested to see what those look like/cost before I go that route. The primary reason for this hitch would just be one of those cargo baskets. Not looking to haul any campers or trailers in the foreseeable future (understanding everyone has different needs/wants)

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd be interested to see what those look like/cost before I go that route. The primary reason for this hitch would just be one of those cargo baskets. Not looking to haul any campers or trailers in the foreseeable future (understanding everyone has different needs/wants)
Agree 100%. Nice to know that you can get one from a dealer if you feel you will be OK with a factory style one for less than factory cost. Even with a basket, torque against the frame is much more stable than torque against a cross piece. 75 lbs of bicycles is not going to be an issue. Several hundred pounds in a basket may be far different. Do what you think is best for your usage. I tend to think that If/when the day comes for me, I am confident that I will be able to tow 5000 lbs with no worries, given I make the proper modifications...

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Java9

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Java9

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I promise I searched lol - maybe midnight on a Sunday night isn't the best time to ask questions/try googling things haha

***Edited - Thank you for that 2nd link I don't remember coming across that one before

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

But the crossmember is the frame.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But the crossmember is the frame.
But it's less stable of a mounting point than where the outer two snatch rings are mounted. There's more resistance to twisting the further away from the center, so a hitch that mounts at points further apart will be better.
Ford Bronco Towing Package Photos??? 1611055886319

I feel that the aftermarket will quickly have a Class III or IV Hitch for the Bronco and it' will be an easy install. Just remove the bolts holding on the two snatch rings, sandwich the hitch between the snatch rings and frame, reinstall bolts.... done!

Edited to add...... A WDH that's mounted to the snatch ring locations would also strengthen the rear frame.

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But it's less stable of a mounting point than where the outer two snatch rings are mounted. There's more resistance to twisting the further away from the center, so a hitch that mounts at points further apart will be better.
Ford Bronco Towing Package Photos??? 1611055886319

I feel that the aftermarket will quickly have a Class III or IV Hitch for the Bronco and it' will be an easy install. Just remove the bolts holding on the two snatch rings, sandwich the hitch between the snatch rings and frame, reinstall bolts.... done!

Edited to add...... A WDH that's mounted to the snatch ring locations would also strengthen the rear frame.
It attaches to a cross member that is welded to the same frame that a Class III receiver will bolt to. The bolts that hold the factory receiver hold tongue weight in shear, tow weight is held in tension on the cross member. After market hitches hold tongue weight in tension and tow weight in shear. I might argue that the factory hitch set up is actually superior.
Sponsored