First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know the keypad bothers a lot of people. And I agree it’s lame that it’s a stick-on piece on the bronco. However, since all bronco models have push button start, I think there is an interesting case to make for this combo.

On my f150 I have the keypad. I leave the keys in the truck all the time. Going for a hike, going to the beach, dog park, etc. I lock the truck on the way out and push my code to get back in. My wife uses the code also so neither of us “needs” the keys to get in the truck. I can also get something out of it when I don’t have the keys, like if I’m outside the house for any reason and keys are inside. Additionally, it’s impossible to lock the keys in the car.

the Only problem with my f-50 is I need the key to start the car (no push button)- so I pull it out of the console, then put it back after parking. I’ve done this for years with zero issues.

now previously I had a German vehicle with intelligent access, and unfortunately you could not lock the keys in the car. It would just unlock for anyone.

Theoretically with the bronco I can just leave the keys in the center console when doing actives, and won’t even need to take them out to start the car.

now, this is problematic with a soft top or no top. (Unless you use the other key to lock them in the console... maybe a possibility) So most likely I’ll need to have a lockbox somewhere for the summer months.

with intelligent access however, I’m not sure you could leave the keys in a lock box, because the car would just unlock and start for anyone who grabs the handle....

anyway, I know most people don’t care, but if you like to leave your keys in the car (and never ever have the possibility of getting locked out) - the keypad is priceless IMHO.
Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Leaving your keys in the car...

Ford Bronco A case for the keypad and non-intelligent access 1611882770435

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's not quite how it works. The car has multiple sensors and can determine if the keys are inside or outside the car. If they are in the center console you cannot grab the handle and unlock the door. You can lock the keys in the car when using the outside keypad and it will stay locked. This is the way it works on every other ford vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right but then you can’t get in the car or start it... unless you had the keypad!
Sorry, I was assuming you would still opt for the keypad. BTW, I am in no way advocating this as a normal practice. I too am a big fan of the keypad and sometimes it makes sense to lock a hidden key in the vehicle.....think canoe trip :p

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's not quite how it works. The car has multiple sensors and can determine if the keys are inside or outside the car. If they are in the center console you cannot grab the handle and unlock the door. You can lock the keys in the car when using the outside keypad and it will stay locked. This is the way it works on every other ford vehicle.
Okay so if you have the keypad you can lock the car with the intelligent keys in it? That does solve that issue. My VW did not have a keypad and it wouldn’t let you lock the doors with the keys in it. (Or would always unlock when you grabbed the handle) can’t remember exactly but it didn’t work.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry, I was assuming you would still opt for the keypad. BTW, I am in no way advocating this as a normal practice. I too am a big fan of the keypad and sometimes it makes sense to lock a hidden key in the vehicle.....think canoe trip :p
Yeah I am pro keypad also.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay so if you have the keypad you can lock the car with the intelligent keys in it? That does solve that issue. My VW did not have a keypad and it wouldn’t let you lock the doors with the keys in it. (Or would always unlock when you grabbed the handle) can’t remember exactly but it didn’t work.
I mean I have not tried it on a bronco obviously but it works fine on every other ford vehicles I've used (explorer, taurus, flex, f150, edge, escape, all 2010+). I highly doubt it behaves different.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don’t knock it til you try it! Good for water-related activities especially.
If it works for you, I guess that’s all that matters. Just be careful. ?

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean I have not tried it on a bronco obviously but it works fine on every other ford vehicles I've used (explorer, taurus, flex, f150, edge, escape, all 2010+). I highly doubt it behaves different.
Okay good to know! So intelligent access with keypad likely is the best of both worlds.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not really a keypad fan, but for water activities I often separate the fob from the manual key to avoid water damage.

I’ve been trying to look at pics and it looks like only the driver door is keyed. I wish the rear gate was as well, but I can deal with it. Maybe put the keypad at the rear. Can you stick it wherever you want?

RockChalk7KC

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pressing the last two buttons on the keypad locks the doors, whether the key is in it or not. I have intelligent access on my F-150 and leave the key in it daily. Unlocking it is as simple as using the keypad or your FordPass app. Hope that helps!

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think most insurance companies will not cover theft if you lock the keys in the car. Just keep that in mind. Also, my dad has always done this in his 2018 F-150 and he just had his first key battery die. He got lucky the truck was at the house so he could grab the spare set! I think because the key is constantly being pinged by the truck, it caused the battery to die faster. It also could be from the cold weather.

If you have the Ford app (and a cell signal), you can also unlock and remote start the car with your phone or smart watch, but it won't substitute a key so you cannot drive away.

Just be cautious!
Sponsored