First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think most insurance companies will not cover theft if you lock the keys in the car. Just keep that in mind. Also, my dad has always done this in his 2018 F-150 and he just had his first key battery die. He got lucky the truck was at the house so he could grab the spare set! I think because the key is constantly being pinged by the truck, it caused the battery to die faster. It also could be from the cold weather.

If you have the Ford app (and a cell signal), you can also unlock and remote start the car with your phone or smart watch, but it won't substitute a key so you cannot drive away.

Just be cautious!
Yeah I can imagine an intelligent key might be pinging a lot thatā€™s a good call.
Sponsored

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™m 100% keypad. Yes I wish it was built in the pillar above the door but I can live with it. It may sound crazy but at least once a day Iā€™m in the driveway and need something from my F150 and donā€™t have my phone or keys handy, a couple buttons and Iā€™m in.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not really a keypad fan, but for water activities I often separate the fob from the manual key to avoid water damage.

Iā€™ve been trying to look at pics and it looks like only the driver door is keyed. I wish the rear gate was as well, but I can deal with it. Maybe put the keypad at the rear. Can you stick it wherever you want?
So I believe if you order it from the factory it comes prestuck. But you can order them from the parts dept and put that one wherever you want. (Inside gas tank seems to be popular spot)

RockChalk7KC

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think most insurance companies will not cover theft if you lock the keys in the car. Just keep that in mind. Also, my dad has always done this in his 2018 F-150 and he just had his first key battery die. He got lucky the truck was at the house so he could grab the spare set! I think because the key is constantly being pinged by the truck, it caused the battery to die faster. It also could be from the cold weather.

If you have the Ford app (and a cell signal), you can also unlock and remote start the car with your phone or smart watch, but it won't substitute a key so you cannot drive away.

Just be cautious!
I can't vouch for how the Bronco will work, but on an F-150 you can put the dead fob in a special slot in the cupholder and the truck will communicate with it. At that point you can start the truck, etc.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ā€˜75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I believe if you order it from the factory it comes prestuck. But you can order them from the parts dept and put that one wherever you want. (Inside gas tank seems to be popular spot)
Thereā€™s an idea. Wonder if they charge a nice programming fee to go along with that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thereā€™s an idea. Wonder if they charge a nice programming fee to go along with that.
I think itā€™s actually cheaper from the parts dept

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you absolutely had to leave the key fob in the car you could put it inside of a faraday bag. The bag blocks the signal.

[...]
Could also just take the battery out. The key only has a range of a few inches when the battery is removed -- most Fords have a backup slot very close to the RFA antennae to authenticate a 'dead battery' fob.

Matter of fact, my spare key is in my Flex all the time, connected to an Arduino so I can remote start from miles away. The battery is disconnected until I request a start/lock operation. Any other time, the car has no idea there's a key under the second row seat.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Use it all the time on my F-350 and F-150 prior to that. Most often useful at ski resort. Iā€™m terrified my keys will manage to jump outta jacket.
Placement however on Bronco is annoying. Should be vertical and more integrated on the b pillar like F Series. But have to have it so will order on my rig.

My .02

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My F150 and now my Edge have intelligent access and push-button start. When I am going out on the water, I wrap the key in foil and lock it inside the truck. No need for that fancy bag.
Drove to NYC a couple years ago. Hid the spare inside the truck, wrapped in foil. If I lost a key, the spare was with the jack.

I am definitely getting the keypad!

Sponsored

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think most insurance companies will not cover theft if you lock the keys in the car. Just keep that in mind.
Not to be disagreeable, but this is not the case. Of course check your policy first, but if you do a search online and look at insurance company FAQs, theft is widely covered by comprehensive insurance no matter what the case.

A common case where this happens is when someone starts the car in their driveway on a cold day so it can defrost and warm up. Itā€™s covered.

That being said though, I like the idea of hiding the keypad so you arenā€™t advertising that keys might be locked inside at the boat launch or wherever.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't vouch for how the Bronco will work, but on an F-150 you can put the dead fob in a special slot in the cupholder and the truck will communicate with it. At that point you can start the truck, etc.
I had no idea! I thought that once it was dead, it was dead. I guess there's not much to worry about then.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had no idea! I thought that once it was dead, it was dead. I guess there's not much to worry about then.
This is the case on the Explorer as well.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to get the keypad after delivery so I can put it somewhere less conspicuous. But I WILL be getting the keypad.

The Mountain Man

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedition, 15 Jetta TDI, 12 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had an F-250 with a keypad in my younger days. I could go to Charlotte to a Nascar race or to a tailgate at a football game and get blistered drunk and not worry about losing my keys. At the time I considered it the greatest invention in the history of the automobile.
Sponsored