Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in base camp and I like the base headlights better and don't really care about my tail lights but this sounds like a great challenge so I'm in! Is the objective just to get the tail lights and not worry about BLIS? My base comes with mirrors so I'm not worried about BLIS but I'm trying to understand the scope of work here :cool:
Posted earlier, someone was able to confirm that the BLIS is *not* included in the taillamp, but rather separate units mounted below the tail lights. (The black boxes visible in my post from earlier in the thread.)
Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the same boat. Going with the BD and prefer the standard headlights over the signature, but much prefer the signature tail lights over the standard ones. I was hoping tail light swaps wouldn't be too difficult or burn a hole in my pockets.
It seems the plugs being different are going to be the problem and not make it easy to swap out. Maybe there will be an after market solution to this that will use the right plug.

kboom180

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd be happy if an aftermarket option became available that mimicked the cool "B" light pattern but with incandescent bulbs. As for the headlights, I actually prefer the base ones.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those plugs are regular Molex weatherproof connectors. Repinning would be a pain, easier to buy connectors, pins and wire and wire an adapter.

The real question is how the the switchback functions are controlled; usually there is an onboard controller in aftermarket lighting to take the OEM signal for turns/hazards and convert to switchback. From the sounds of trouble with Ranger swaps, it looks like the BCM controls the function, and requires FORSCAN to engage.

Morimoto, ANZO, JW Speaker, Spyder, are all almost guaranteed to make entirely self-contained lighting, front and rear, with switchback capability rather than fighting to get the OEM working. Though some of us are crazy enough to try, and will probably try it anyway.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do we know for sure the taillights on lower trims are incandescent and not just a different LED light like the headlights? Seems dumb to have LED through tall trim levels inside and out ad then stick bulbs in the tail lamps.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last I checked, I couldn't see my ass without a mirror. Who cares what they look like going? Same folks who want that coveted FE sticker?....

96ExplorerSport

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It seems the plugs being different are going to be the problem and not make it easy to swap out. Maybe there will be an after market solution to this that will use the right plug.
I hope the aftermarket will step in here. I would like to be able to order OB and "downgrade" to Base head and tail lights. Time is running out to decide, and this is one of the main reasons I'm still torn between Base & OB.
Really want all those OB bells and whistles inside with the utilitarian Base appearance outside.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unknown, we know the BLIS controller is down there, and it makes sense to divorce the systems. If they were divorced, i'm guessing there was some insurance company pressure as replacement parts costs are a concern for OEM's.

There are two missing pins between the two harnesses shown on the thread linked in the OP, what they go to is anybody's guess.

Also note that the BLIS logo on the Ranger tails is incredibly difficult to see. We have not had high res close ups of the tail light sides to know if they have a logo on them or not. Notice the very small icon in red on the red part of the tail light. The BLIS sensor is also behind that from what I have seen (could not easily find a pic to confirm at the time of this posting)

Edit: I'll also point out that a BLIS sensor will have reduced efficiency and range if placed behind a metal panel. Mounting the sensor in a tail light makes a lot of sense if that is indeed the case (I am not an engineer nor do I know what research Ford has done regarding their sensors array)

blis tail.JPG
Is that supposed to be a cursive F

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Damn carid.com has nothing for headlights or taillights for the ranger. Not a good sign for Bronco.

so, going from my 2.7 base of $35ish to a 2.3 outer banks for $42ish doesn’t sound so bad when you look at it as only $1800 more than doing a light swap.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope the aftermarket will step in here. I would like to be able to order OB and "downgrade" to Base head and tail lights. Time is running out to decide, and this is one of the main reasons I'm still torn between Base & OB.
Really want all those OB bells and whistles inside with the utilitarian Base appearance outside.
I'm hoping that the wiring harnesses become available for purchase to make the head/taillight swap possible. I'm just going for looks, I like the base head lights better. I'd go with the OB unless you're planning on building it up, go for the base.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm hoping that the wiring harnesses become available for purchase to make the head/taillight swap possible. I'm just going for looks, I like the base head lights better. I'd go with the OB unless you're planning on building it up, go for the base.
I already posted the information from Ranger5G which had the process required to alter the wiring harness through re-pinning and what functionality is lost along the way. What you're asking for is a dongle to adapt one to the other, which won't be available and wouldn't be DOT compliant.

Spend a few moments of your time to research what's been done and what will be available as the answers were already presented by others and myself.

Headlamps are one of the single most expensive parts of a vehicle so parts alone for conversions is very expensive. This is why the prices are what they are (again, links were provided earlier and ignored)

I'll provide this for others since the other links weren't followed/read previously.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0... bulbs are,that meet federal safety standards.

weezy_jw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So with the BLIS not being in the light housing, do we still think upgrading to Mid package would get you LED/signature tails in the BB/BD trims?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So with the BLIS not being in the light housing, do we still think upgrading to Mid package would get you LED/signature tails in the BB/BD trims?
Signature lighting is available as a separate option on BB, and standard on OB and up.

It is not tied to any package and it is not available on BD.

weezy_jw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Signature lighting is available as a separate option on BB, and standard on OB and up.

It is not tied to any package and it is not available on BD.
I guess what I’m asking is.. I’m looking at a BD. I know signature lighting isn’t available. But I plan on getting the mid package. I know there was talking about the kid package getting you LED tails due to BLIS (similar to F150s and Rangers). Do we think that’s the case with the BLIS not in the housing but below now?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess what I’m asking is.. I’m looking at a BD. I know signature lighting isn’t available. But I plan on getting the mid package. I know there was talking about the kid package getting you LED tails due to BLIS (similar to F150s and Rangers). Do we think that’s the case with the BLIS not in the housing but below now?
BLIS does not force/include LED taillights.

They are completely separate on the Bronco.
Sponsored