Sponsored

Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen...

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What is wrong with the El Camino... A 66 w/327 and Muncie is a bucket list car.
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
When they are shiny and new not many people will take their gladiator off-road. There are people taking them off road and they are doing well.

Scooter

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Everyone says they want single cab and manual transmissions but the data shows no one buys them. The crew cab 5' bed is by far the top selling midsized truck configuration. Saying they would sell a ton if it was a single cab is rubbish. Most of the other brands don't sell a single cab any more because it doesn't sell. Even the Scrambler didn't sell well. But yes, that 2 door jeep truck is awesome looking. They should make it just because I want to see one on the road.

Off topic a bit. I would purchase the upcoming Ford Ranger Tremor if it came in a Manual and an extended cab. I want the ability to carry more gear 6' bed. I have no need for the extra seats on the crew cab.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Everyone says they want single cab and manual transmissions but the data shows no one buys them. The crew cab 5' bed is by far the top selling midsized truck configuration. Saying they would sell a ton if it was a single cab is rubbish. Most of the other brands don't sell a single cab any more because it doesn't sell. Even the Scrambler didn't sell well. But yes, that 2 door jeep truck is awesome looking. They should make it just because I want to see one on the road.

Off topic a bit. I would purchase the upcoming Ford Ranger Tremor if it came in a Manual and an extended cab. I want the ability to carry more gear 6' bed. I have no need for the extra seats on the crew cab.
I agree, but I would also prefer in addition to what you said a 2.7 too.

HeisenbergFX4

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 QX80 2021 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love my Gladiator.

Have always loved Wranglers and sometimes needed a truck and the Gladiator let me trade my F150 and Wrangler into one vehicle.

Seems its either a love it or hate it reaction it gets when people want to see it but either way I am happy with it.

Look forward to possibly seeing what a bronco pickup would look like in person.

Sponsored

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been thinking about the Gladiator more and more these days, especially after seeing three different Gladiator RUBICON's at Yellowstone National Park last summer (all optioned to the max, beautiful clean paint, really cute matching luggage in each, no hint of their owners wanting to drive their $65K toys off the blacktop) and what that class of vehicle really brings to the JEEP brand.
  • Is it a truck? If it is, it's a really poor choice as a truck
  • Is it a off road beast? It has the kit, but again, it's form factor makes it a really poor choice
  • Does it still drive like a JEEP (and all the negative that implies on-road)? Yea!
  • Is the Gladiator simply another Ridgeline with a very select audience and unable to turn a profit even with $20K of options tarting it up? Probably
TTAC followed up my vehicular wanderings with this article today and it's pointed yet mostly unopinionated (until you get to the comments).

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/11/2020-jeep-gladiator-sport-s-review-poised-for-urban-life/

Does Bronco "need" to follow suit with an even smaller-market vehicle that isn't great off road, isn't great as a truck, and looks as cumbersome as the Gladiator? I would argue there is no business reason to do so. Covid has cost every manufacturer billions, dumping resources into these low-yield makes doesn't make sense. Ranger is a perfectly capable midsize truck, Maverick is rumored to be close to production for small truck, and Bronco looks to be more than capable of giving the fight to Jeep off-road (not in outright capability, but in that entry/mid-market basis) and with the pencil pushers.
Thank you for typing what I've been trying to say for a long time to all those that are like, "Ford needs its version of the Gladiator." They're frugly unless lifted to high heaven with huge tires, they're kind of bad at what they're designed to do (breakover sucks), and a $65k vehicle is never going to see the mud like it was meant to unless you're TFL Truck, lol.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is all Jeep had to do. Nothing fancy, and nothing 4-door.

If Jeep said they'd build this, I'd drop the Bronco. Yes, it's that serious, and that much of a total screwup on Jeeps part.

jeep-j6-24.jpg

1604517718004.png
The TFL video from April 16th, 2019 of the J6 is still getting views, likes, and "just please take my money" comments.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The TFL video from April 16th, 2019 of the J6 is still getting views, likes, and "just please take my money" comments.
I know, I'm still in the "take my money" crowd this day, 5 days shy of the Bronco order opening day. That's how hard Jeep dropped the ball...

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Gladiator (and presumably a future Bronco truck) can off-road, be topless and doorless, haul stuff in a bed that you wouldn't want in the back of your Wrangler/Bronco.

And, oh yeah, it can do all of that and tow 7000 lbs (Gladiator Rubicon). Just because that isn't important to you doesn't mean there isn't a market for it. Some just don't/won't see it because it isn't a good fit for them.

HeisenbergFX4

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 QX80 2021 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Gladiator (and presumably a future Bronco truck) can off-road, be topless and doorless, haul stuff in a bed that you wouldn't want in the back of your Wrangler/Bronco.

And, oh yeah, it can do all of that and tow 7000 lbs (Gladiator Rubicon). Just because that isn't important to you doesn't mean there isn't a market for it. Some just don't/won't see it because it isn't a good fit for them.
100%

I live on the edge of town and sometimes need a bed but love the Jeep part as during the summer my gladiator stays topless for the most part.

Its cool to me people dont like it as I dont like what most other people drive either.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't say they "need" to, but Jeep only hurt themselves with the Gladiator's off road ability by making chassis changes. As far as I know (but I'm not a jeep expert) the old Scrambler was much more Wrangler than the Gladiator is.

Neither were ever ideal as "trucks", but I'm guessing the Scrambler's abilities were much more inline also.

Ford has a chance to do it right by keeping the mechanicals the same. IMHO, the body shouldn't even change, only the roof. Don't try to hide a 35" tire underneath.

Literally--sell me a Bronco WITH a bed, not a completely redesigned Bronco truck.
Á la Defender 110 double cab pickup.

Roach

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Frontier, '74 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeep was hoping to sell between 60-80k Gladiators a year. YTD they have sold 69k. 3rd quarter this year vs last the Gladiator sales are up 37%. The Ranger is only up 8.2%. The Gladiator has sold 69k vs Rangers 74k YTD. Not exactly bad numbers at all.

Not saying you have to like the Gladiator but I think Jeep did their homework and it is selling as they were hoping. It did have a slow start though. But, it has best in class payload and towing so it does its job as a midsized truck. Plus the back seat is one of the roomiest. But for that you pay the price with poor breakover. Simple 2" lift and 35s solves it. Plus if your worried about breakover, you are not keeping your truck stock.

I think they are pricy. I would agree with that. If you want more truck and less off road, the Ram 1500 is better for the money. But if the Gladiator's resale ends up anything like the Wrangler, then it would still be a better value than any other mid sized truck.
I'm betting that the preponderance of folks that got Gladiators got what they were looking for. They like the look--and idea--of having a jeep, with the added functionality of having a bed to throw stuff in. They aren't, for the most part, hardcore overlanders but may be the regular guy/gal that likes to take the family camping a few times a year when they aren't "doing life" and running to Lowe's on the weekends.

I agree that the idea of the Bronco truck is interesting and out of pure curiosity I'd love to see what Ford came up with for a production model. For me it could be a possibility because I do love the utility of having a bed to throw stuff in but I don't need a large one. Additionally, I'm not an overlander so I'm not sweating things like best in class breakover or obsessing over gear ratios--not because they aren't important design features, but based on my principal uses for such a vehicle, they wouldn't impact me day-to-day.

I sure wish these were easier to get in the U.S.; blows my mind that Toyota doesn't try harder to get these into the U.S. market! If they were I doubt I'd even be on this forum! I give you the 2020 Land Cruiser Namib.
Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... 1612444399011

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... 1612444509469

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm betting that the preponderance of folks that got Gladiators got what they were looking for. They like the look--and idea--of having a jeep, with the added functionality of having a bed to throw stuff in. They aren't, for the most part, hardcore overlanders but may be the regular guy/gal that likes to take the family camping a few times a year when they aren't "doing life" and running to Lowe's on the weekends.

I agree that the idea of the Bronco truck is interesting and out of pure curiosity I'd love to see what Ford came up with for a production model. For me it could be a possibility because I do love the utility of having a bed to throw stuff in but I don't need a large one. Additionally, I'm not an overlander so I'm not sweating things like best in class breakover or obsessing over gear ratios--not because they aren't important design features, but based on my principal uses for such a vehicle, they wouldn't impact me day-to-day.

I sure wish these were easier to get in the U.S.; blows my mind that Toyota doesn't try harder to get these into the U.S. market! If they were I doubt I'd even be on this forum! I give you the 2020 Land Cruiser Namib.

There is no trying to get them here... they are like 80's/90's tech for crash testing and mediocre at that. And then you have to get some kind of a powertrain that will hit some sort of emissions/economy standard too.

And then for the masses they would be trying to sell a rough/crude 1980's ride quality.

I would love one more than most but it is never going to happen.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is wrong with the El Camino... A 66 w/327 and Muncie is a bucket list car.
Pontiac was about to release the G8 ST ( sport truck), basically a modern el Camino but didn’t survive the recession.
I want Subaru to bring back the Baja
Sponsored