Sponsored

Will 1st gen bronco prices come back to planet Earth with release of new gen?

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've always loved the first gen broncos and remember just a few years back when you could get a nice one for $10-15k. Now-a-days it seems like a rust bucket is $20k just to get your foot in the door.

Will the release of the new gen of Broncos bring prices back down to planet Earth or will they surge further to be at levels where an average Joe needs to sell a kidney to get their hands on one? Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably when Super Duty prices touch down to reality again ...... jeezus, what they'll ask for a 185K mile, 10 year old truck with a WELL KNOWN POS diesel.

I don't know....if Bronco takes the route of Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles, etc , the prices may never come down.
If it's just a passing fad, maybe they'll come down. But is it a passing thing?
The love for the EB may be partially what pushed Ford to revive the image again. The original guys restoring them sparked the interest and memories in a LOT of people and it has been growing for a LONG time now. The interest grew , but only in recent years did the prices take off QUICKLY.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It could actually have the opposite effect and send them through the roof. There are a lot of people who have no idea what a gen 1 Bronco looks like. They are only familiar with the fat OJ Bronco. Seeing the similarity between the new and old might increase demand for the original among collectors.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t see 1st or 2nd gens ever going down, there’s just too few of them. There’s a completely beat to shit one for sale in my area for $15k and I’m sooo tempted to go get it. Not the right time unfortunately for me.

3rd gen+ I think are crazy overpriced right now. They’re shitboxes in 99% of cases tbh. Not a fan.

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
With all of the sensors, computers, gadgets, and doodads on modern vehicles, demand for the older and simpler trucks will continue to rise. Especially the offroad crowd, we like to modify and tinker with our rigs. Supply and demand, and the supply isn't growing any.

Sponsored

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

all vehicles go through dips but will they ever be cheap, no but wouldn't be surprised if they dip in the next five years along with lots of other things.

OP
OP
Aragonite

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The paint discussion has me foaming at the mouth for an uncut boxwood green 1st gen. I'd love to get one without having to give my left ***!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t see 1st or 2nd gens ever going down, there’s just too few of them. There’s a completely beat to shit one for sale in my area for $15k and I’m sooo tempted to go get it. Not the right time unfortunately for me.

3rd gen+ I think are crazy overpriced right now. They’re shitboxes in 99% of cases tbh. Not a fan.
Yeah the 1st ones arent going down again, neither will the 78/79 they are super rare anymore. The 80-96 are really high now and will likely go down a lil in a few years.

But in response to "shitbox", i think they are great personally. They are about as good offroad as anything of their era. They are roomy and have great aftermarket support. Mine has a fridge/freezer between the front seats. Ice cold drinks make anything a measure or 2 better.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It could actually have the opposite effect and send them through the roof. There are a lot of people who have no idea what a gen 1 Bronco looks like. They are only familiar with the fat OJ Bronco. Seeing the similarity between the new and old might increase demand for the original among collectors.
The dynasty continues. For the fifth consecutive time, the 1966–77 Bronco sits atop the Hagerty Vehicle Rating with 97 points, and a younger sibling—the 1978–79 Bronco—is on the doorstep. The second-generation Bronco is tied for third with the 1984–91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer at 92 points, one behind the 1967–72 Chevrolet C/K Series Pickup, which has 93.
“The 1966–77 Bronco has been riding high for a while, and the biggest driver continues to be Hagerty Price Guide values,” says Hagerty Valuation Editor Andrew Newton. “They can’t keep rising forever, but for now there seems to be no stopping it.
“Every Bronco currently has an HVR of over 80, and it makes sense that someone on a budget is going to choose the second-gen Bronco over the first-gen Bronco,” he says. “Let’s face it, prices for first-gen Broncos are getting a little ridiculous for what they are. They have a median #3 (Good) condition value of more than $31,000, and the 1978–79 Bronco has a median #3 value of barely $12,000. For a lot of buyers, it’s a no-brainer.”

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Eventually, when the people that grew up with them die (model A pretty cheap now https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1929/ford/model_a/101338199), but that's about 20 years from now (average). Combine that with the fact it's wealthier old guys (at least that's 85% of the guys at car shows) that want and can afford the classics, the rest aren't getting them cheap.

But I hope they do, I don't own 4, 70's broncos for investments. I'd rather have them in the hands of users, not watchers. The problem is that most that get them now, dump 20-50 grand in them, you are not getting a 70 and 74 bronco for $1300 total, like I did, ever again.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aragonite

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I mean cars of the 30s seem to be dropping off, along with their owners ( no offense). By that logic, I'll snag a nice first gen in.... 2051!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I mean cars of the 30s seem to be dropping off, along with their owners ( no offense). By that logic, I'll snag a nice first gen in.... 2051!
The only reason the 60/70's muscle cars and full size trucks may not drop off as much, is they can still be pretty nice drivers. Many had automatics, AC and most had PS/PB (some even power equip). They didn't have today's NVH, overdrives, or gas mileage, but many of them still drive pretty nicely.

Classic broncos weren't one of them though. They ride like crap, are cramped, and have amenities worse than most cars from the late 50's, early 60's. They are a great simple small offroad rig, so that will always keep prices up somewhat, if they do fall out of the stratosphere back down to a level you could use them offroad again.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I predict the new Bronco, if perceived as a worthy successor to the EB, will temper EB prices. Because the new Bronco will give another option to people who are not necessarily wedded to old 4x4s.

Come next year, when EB owners are asking exorbitant prices, they will have to contend with some potential buyers simply walking over to Ford. In particular, some buyers who were helping drive up EB prices, but were probably not a good fit for an EB anyway, and realize they have another option.

If Ford comes through with the new Bronco, and people are all over having a blast with the vehicle, top down fun and all, hitting trails etc - that will make a subset of potential EB buyers think twice. Especially if people are able to customize and personalize the new Bronco - that will be key.
Sponsored