Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i know its been discussed that 17's are the best wheel/tire size for off roading, but on a trail like this one shown in the video, does 17 vs 18 make that much of a difference??
I can take the OBX with stock tires on sandy desert runs, RIGHT?
Jeezus yes. You'll be fine. (Not getting snarky with you....my snarkiness is directed towards those that will wheelsize shame/brotruck you for having larger rims and less rubber.)

Edit: gonna walk this back quite a bit...I have no idea if you could or should do what THEY are doing on anything less than the equipment they are running. My guess is hell no. I think they are hitting some pretty substantial whoops at 40+ MPH!

I read the words you used... "sandy desert runs"....as something much more tame, like beach cruising, which is the closest point of reference to a desert I have, being from Louisiana. It is quite possible I underestimated what you meant by that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I paused the video at one point to look at the speedometer and they were going about 41mph. I would think anything running over that type of terrain would make a lot of noise. Looks like it is doing very well and the fact that they are doing it all day long for multiple days. Would be nice to see what the broncos look like when the event is over.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Smaller steering wheels are more responsive and would make sense in a high speed desert run like you see in the video. Only reason to have a larger steering wheel is for higher leverage, the need for which was eliminated with the advent of power steering.

Arguing you need a larger steering wheel is like arguing you need a V8. Technology has moved way past that, and to argue otherwise represents a dated mindset.
Well let's see, whether you "need" a larger wheel or not, I'm saying it doesn't look right.

And your second point, yeah I'd take a V8 over the little bitch ass 4 & 6 cyl. turbo engines any day. I see lots of people taking naturally aspirated engines past 200k, 300k, 400k miles, yet I don't see the same with turbo engines? I do see complaints of turbo issues though here and there. So yes, give me a V8, you can have the little engines all you want.

That's my dated mindset for the day, hope you enjoyed.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well let's see, whether you "need" a larger wheel or not, I'm saying it doesn't look right.

And your second point, yeah I'd take a V8 over the little bitch ass 4 & 6 cyl. turbo engines any day. I see lots of people taking naturally aspirated engines past 200k, 300k, 400k miles, yet I don't see the same with turbo engines? I do see complaints of turbo issues though here and there. So yes, give me a V8, you can have the little engines all you want.

That's my dated mindset for the day, hope you enjoyed.

My brother has a 2011 F-150 with an ecoboost V6 in it and has never had a problem with the engine after 100K. Give it a few years and you'll start seeing them in that mileage range.

Also, a naturally aspirated I-4 or V-6 puts out more power than a 20 year old V-8 ever did and that's my point. All, these guys saying that the original Bronco had a V-8 so this needs a V-8 need to look at those power/performance #'s compared to today.

Omwil297

Base
First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 xj
Your Bronco Model
Base
I didn't see anyone using the grab handles, are they just frivolous decoration with crappy accent colors to mess up my interior scheme?

Reactions: abe

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My brother has a 2011 F-150 with an ecoboost V6 in it and has never had a problem with the engine after 100K. Give it a few years and you'll start seeing them in that mileage range.

Also, a naturally aspirated I-4 or V-6 puts out more power than a 20 year old V-8 ever did and that's my point. All, these guys saying that the original Bronco had a V-8 so this needs a V-8 need to look at those power/performance #'s compared to today.
I've personally had both my turbos replaced on my 2013 F150 3.5L, luckily under the extended warranty I bought. I think it was in the 60K to 70K mile range at the time.
Also had the BOV diaphragm go out which seems fairly common, but easy and cheap to fix. In fact FordTechMakuloco(Famous Ford YouTube mechanic) made a video on my truck while diagnosing the BOV diaphragm issue.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You see, this right here is the problem with "you" people... a 20 year old V8.... yes, 20 years ago that same V8 stomped everything around it, but this isn't 20 years ago, so how about you start comparing to a new V8. I'm betting there's a lot less to go wrong with a N/A engine vs. a turbo. So no matter what you say or anyone else says, I'd always take a V8 over a turbo engine, that opinion will never change. And I could care less if I got anyone else to think the same, I concern myself with ME, not anyone else.

And BTW, I do 100k miles on my vehicles in about 4 years. Talk to me when your brother's F-150 is approaching 200k. My 2012 Mustang has the 3.7 V6 (no turbo's) and I just passed 210k miles without any major issues. Most I ever replaced was a water pump. And guess what, that engine has more hp than the 351 from my old '94 Bronco. But I bet that old Bronco (if I still had it), would pull the Mustang around the yard if tied together.

Sponsored

mylittlepony

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler / 09 TC Series 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn't see anyone using the grab handles, are they just frivolous decoration with crappy accent colors to mess up my interior scheme?
I feel there could have been 1 oriented for more assistance per entry[overhead]. aftermarket...

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There’s another video from KOH where they definitely are using the handles to hold themselves in place while driving fast over the bumps.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How spoiled we've become. Driver effortlessly reaches down to change to proper mode based on terrain. I'm reminded of wheeling with buddies and me asking..."which one of you are going to lock in the hubs?

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You see, this right here is the problem with "you" people... a 20 year old V8.... yes, 20 years ago that same V8 stomped everything around it, but this isn't 20 years ago, so how about you start comparing to a new V8. I'm betting there's a lot less to go wrong with a N/A engine vs. a turbo. So no matter what you say or anyone else says, I'd always take a V8 over a turbo engine, that opinion will never change. And I could care less if I got anyone else to think the same, I concern myself with ME, not anyone else.

And BTW, I do 100k miles on my vehicles in about 4 years. Talk to me when your brother's F-150 is approaching 200k. My 2012 Mustang has the 3.7 V6 (no turbo's) and I just passed 210k miles without any major issues. Most I ever replaced was a water pump. And guess what, that engine has more hp than the 351 from my old '94 Bronco. But I bet that old Bronco (if I still had it), would pull the Mustang around the yard if tied together.

My point is that the average person doesn't need 350-400HP to drive from stop light to stop light. Even off roading, unless you're doing some pretty extreme stuff a V-6 (turbo's or naturally aspirated) will meet most needs. People going beyond that will probably start doing engine swaps with coyote crate engines just like people do with Hemi's on the Jeep. At a certain point, you're just burning gas so you can say you have a V-8.

Also, I get it you put 100K on your truck, a lot of people do, but most people put on between 10-15K. Ecoboosts have been around a little more than 10 years now, so the average population of the early trucks are hitting that 100K-150K mileage now, so you won't see a whole lot of ultra high mileage ecoboosts out there. There have been a few ecoboost engines with issues, but they were isolated to a specific design and Ford was able to correct the issue.

Reactions: abe

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've personally had both my turbos replaced on my 2013 F150 3.5L, luckily under the extended warranty I bought. I think it was in the 60K to 70K mile range at the time.
Also had the BOV diaphragm go out which seems fairly common, but easy and cheap to fix. In fact FordTechMakuloco(Famous Ford YouTube mechanic) made a video on my truck while diagnosing the BOV diaphragm issue.
I'm familiar with the issue with you're talking about. Did my research on the ecoboost while deciding on the Bronco. My understanding, it was isolated specifically to that 3.5L and Ford corrected the issue in later model years. Sucks you got stuck with it, but it seems every time someone wants to prove the ecoboost has reliability issues they point to the early 3.5L which is a small population of the overall # of ecoboosts out there.
Sponsored