Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What mysteries about the new Bronco do you most eagerly await a reveal from Ford? Official statements about what the Bronco will be like, what purpose or role in the Ford lineup it will serve, what it will be capable of, or what it will even be made of have been extremely sparse so far. But Ford has set the goal of having the "freshest" model lineup by 2020, made predominantly of Trucks, SUVs and crossovers; and that includes the Bronco, which is also "coming" in 2020 -- so these mysteries can't last forever.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Even if we are to interpret that timeline in the most excruciatingly prolonged way, we can expect some pre-production self-propelled prototype version of the Bronco to be publicly viewable before the end of 2020. Given the complex design and tooling process of vehicle production, that would mean that even by now, several fundamental design qualities have been determined around which many of the other components and design elements must adhere to. Ford execs and engineers haven't been sitting on their thumbs for two years. What qualities are known?

One of them was revealed right in the beginning, and told us that the new Bronco would be smaller than the second generation. That's the T6 chassis it would share with several other Ford owned vehicles currently in production, like the Ranger, Everest and Troller T4. With so many length variants of the T6 we still don't know how long it will be, even if we do have reason to believe it will come in both 2 and 4 door versions.

Here are some of the other design constraints I think Ford knows, and has probably known for some time, that they're just waiting for the right moment to sprinkle into some press release, conference, "leak", or auto show presentation, to keep public interest in the Bronco and Ford up.

What type of engine will be under the hood: in general terms here, Ford has to have known for a considerable time what was going under the hood, if for no other reason than to know how large the engine bay needs to be, and what the drive line components need to be able to stand up to. If a 400hp 5.0L V8, or 3.0 V6, or just a featherweight 2.3L I4 will some day sit between the Bronco's fenders, the teams designing the sheet metal, suspension, and driveline needed to know that.

What type of suspension is under it: is the Bronco forging a brave new(old) path, or expected to face the competition and "reclaim [its] rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader" with hand-me-down parts bin components? Independent suspension all around like it's big brother Expedition, or solid axles like the 66'-77' classic design and namesake; or something inbetween? Teams designing sheet metal, steering, exhaust, etc. as well as third party parts manufacturers like Dana needed to know what was going between the wheels before even the first prototype is assembled. Anyone tuning a traction system has to have something to test it on long before it will be ready for release.

What is it made of: save a pound or take a pounding. The material the body components will be made of was probably determined before we even knew it wasn't just a wagon version of the Ranger, or Everest with a steel bumper. How much advantage there would be in saving weight vs. material cost and the profit margin estimates determined if we get an aluminum or steel bodied Bronco.

What will it look like: even if we're just talking final sketches, the size, shape and proportion have been settled for a long time now. In order for any of those things listed above to be accomplished, this needed to have been finalized already. A pile of images and 3D renderings based on technical specs is ready for presentations is sitting in someones 'done' folder.

What Bronco mysteries are you most eagerly waiting for Ford to reveal? And what do you think they're waiting for before they reveal them?
Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m waiting to find out that it has IFS, so that I can place an order for a JLU.

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What Bronco mysteries are you most eagerly waiting for Ford to reveal?
  • The design. I want something that looks like the vehicle under the tarp, not a modern crossover/fake SUV look. I want a look that will become Iconic because I can changes axles and suspension myself.
  • Will a 2 Door be available. My last few jeeps have been the 4dr version due to the amount of kids I had to haul around, but by the time the Bronco will be in my driveway I will have one in college and the other one driving.
  • Dealer Accessories at Launch. i want to able to customize mine as soon as I get it.

And what do you think they're waiting for before they reveal them?
I hope the delay is based on them pushing in all their chips and saying lets give the public what they want.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What Bronco mysteries are you most eagerly waiting for Ford to reveal?
  1. Looks; It needs to look like a Bronco. If it's going to remain the same dimensions as the tarp teaser I'll be very happy. Also, what is the front end going to look like. What is the interior going to look like. I hope it’s (interior) is different from the Rangers but I think that's wishful thinking on my part. What will it look like with four doors.
  2. Engine choices; Engine bay size. I highly doubt it will have a V8 but will it have room for one. Will it have a capable and powerful hybrid. Let me throw gearing in here as well as that is also important. Low range and lockers.
  3. Suspension: Will it have solid axles. If it's going to separate it's self from the rest of the line up and "reclaim its rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader" then it should. They already have a capable independent front with the Raptor for fast travel off-roading. It would makes sense to build the Bronco with solid axles to tackle trails. Solid axles is whats going to maximize it's capability for that and separate it's self from the rest of their line up. I'm doubtful it will have solid axles but if not I'm still very interested in what it will have.
  4. Roof; Is it going to have a removable top. What is this "air roof" thing we heard about earlier.
  5. Accessories; Will it have different models/features. Will there be factory performance parts. Will they have accessories to make it more custom to your style and needs.
what do you think they're waiting for before they reveal them?
I think the long wait is because of this whole Bronco brand/line up of vehicles they are doing. The main actual Bronco has to come correct, be the image and carry the name. It has to be a big reveal. We have to wait for the other "baby" Broncos to be worked out and made. Also, I think the aspect of it being made a four and two door model set it back as that's a pretty big change and I think part of the reason for the design delays in the beginning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Dealer Accessories at Launch. i want to able to customize mine as soon as I get it.
  • Accessories; Will it have different models/features. Will there be factory performance parts. Will they have accessories to make it more custom to your style and needs.
You both mention accessories, what kinds of items would you want Ford to offer with a Bronco? The recent reviews of the Ranger have mentioned Ford's partnership with Yakima, allowing some of those accessories to be rolled into the loan. Is there an already existing off road or vintage resto Bronco parts dealer you'd like to see Ford partner with and make a similar type of offering as the Ranger?

Personally, I can see picking up skid plates, rock sliders, bumpers or light bars soon after purchase, but it isn't often that I see anything genuinely appealing offered from the vehicle manufacturer.

Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me accessories more means features I suppose. Power outlets, skid plates, snorkel, tow hooks, sunroof, that tailgate curtain, wheel options, cameras, roll bar, roof rack, door removal, winch, rock sliders, tow package, communication radios, compass, lighting, extra cooling, and something just Broncoish. Some type of history throwback.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • The design. I want something that looks like the vehicle under the tarp, not a modern crossover/fake SUV look. I want a look that will become Iconic because I can changes axles and suspension myself.
  • Will a 2 Door be available. ...
Looks; It needs to look like a Bronco. If it's going to remain the same dimensions as the tarp teaser I'll be very happy. Also, what is the front end going to look like. What is the interior going to look like. I hope it’s (interior) is different from the Rangers but I think that's wishful thinking on my part. What will it look like with four doors.

The main actual Bronco has to come correct, be the image and carry the name. It has to be a big reveal. ...
Definitely the design. I think most people underestimate how heavily the looks of a vehicle shapes their purchase decisions. It is the end-all-be-all for me.
Common consensus would seem to be that we need to know what the Bronco is supposed to look like. Maybe some additional tweaks get made down the line with a fender arc, flare, ridge etc to add support or aero, but right now we don't have a clue what general styling to expect -- and people are itching to know after years of waiting and vague teasing.

The straight roof and belt line of the model and the baby/Maverick are encouraging to me -- giving very classic SUV side profile. Some of the angular rear-window eliminating c-pillar shaping is seen with the Maverick -- likely the result of rollover protection design, but it avoids most of the standard crossover teardrop-aero cues that devour rear window real estate, and destroy visibility.

Notable is that the length of the baby and shadow-Bronco seem to be quite similar in what appears to be a 4-door, and laying a 4runner image over it would indicate a wheelbase several inches shorter than that competitor for both Ford models.

The hood and top edges of the fenders on the baby/Maverick show the ridges of the classic 66-77 Bronco, that were in sedans often paired with fins out back. Some light ridges on the Maverick hood share design language with the Ranger and F-series trucks, but it appears that they are slightly more pronounced on the tarped Bronco -- that could be just to make sure we see them, or they could be more pronounced, evoking louvered or other raised venting on the hoods of muscle cars.

An odd bit about the model under the tarp is how the windshield is draped. Does it indicate that the windshield isn't a flat slab, but curved to cut down on wind noise? Later Broncos abandoned the flat folding windshield, and it seems to be by far one of the least utilized classic jeep features, so it makes sense for a Bronco to grab for some better aero and noise reduction here.

With a fixed windshield, will we see a later generation style removable roof that slips off in one big piece like a truck topper? Does that offer better noise reduction that a multi-panel top? Does it require a large B or C pillar? Will we see a removable top at all?

One thing that concerns me are the wheel arches. If the arc is too tight, it would greatly hamper the aesthetics of the oversized tires that are sure to be added by many owners. A tight arc also constricts articulation when off roading. This is one thing that many of the speculative sketches show, fenders arches that hug the tire, leaving little room for flex or up-sizing.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Notable is that the length of the baby and shadow-Bronco seem to be quite similar in what appears to be a 4-door, and laying a 4runner image over it would indicate a wheelbase several inches shorter than that competitor for both Ford models.
I really don't know what to make of that shadow. To me that shadow looks like an EB just slightly stretched. The front looks more tapered then what the tarp image shows.
If it is indeed a four door model then I like those dimensions of it being a little shorter then a 4Runner.

The hood and top edges of the fenders on the baby/Maverick show the ridges of the classic 66-77 Bronco, that were in sedans often paired with fins out back. Some light ridges on the Maverick hood share design language with the Ranger and F-series trucks, but it appears that they are slightly more pronounced on the tarped Bronco -- that could be just to make sure we see them, or they could be more pronounced, evoking louvered or other raised venting on the hoods of muscle cars.
I really like this aspect of them adding raised edges to the fenders. It's a great nod to the early Bronco.
Now I don't know if I'm way off here but I'm wondering if the raised part of the hood in the foreground is not the other side of the hood but a raised mid section like a shaker. Something like the 04 concept had...

An odd bit about the model under the tarp is how the windshield is draped. Does it indicate that the windshield isn't a flat slab, but curved to cut down on wind noise? Later Broncos abandoned the flat folding windshield, and it seems to be by far one of the least utilized classic jeep features, so it makes sense for a Bronco to grab for some better aero and noise reduction here.
I'm thinking the windshield is going to be similar to the FJ Cruisers. Fairly straight up and down but with a curve to it. Hummers were like that as well. Not a fully flat sheet but a more up right stance.

One thing that concerns me are the wheel arches. If the arc is too tight, it would greatly hamper the aesthetics of the oversized tires that are sure to be added by many owners. A tight arc also constricts articulation when off roading. This is one thing that many of the speculative sketches show, fenders arches that hug the tire, leaving little room for flex or up-sizing.
Good point but I think if the arches truly do stop where they show from the tarp ( unlike the Baby Bronco with the black plastic cladding ) then it should be fine. It's the bottom portion that we can't see that is the real issue. Hopefully the fender stops/tapers off where it shows there too.

It's funny if it wasn't for the wheel arches Id think they'd just stuck the 04 concept Bronco under that tarp. The front bumper even protrudes out where the concept does.
That's a great sign though because even if you don't like what the final product of that concept looked like it still shows Ford knows what a Bronco is supposed to be. It of course wont have those dramatic features which might have put some people off to the concept but it did show a vehicle that showed it was a Bronco, had a removable top and was made for off-road. If it takes a lot of elements from that concept then they are on the right track.

Last edited:

DesmoDog

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am yet another person delaying a four door Wrangler purchase to see what the Bronco will be first. Things I will/won't worry about

1) Styling. Yep. Not gonna drive an "ugly" car or one that looks weird. I have a 2015 Escape right now and considered buying a preveious gen instead due to styling. The features won me over and the styling of the 2015 Escape doesn't bother me anymore but if it's JLU vs weird Bronco, JLU it is. Unless the Bronco blows me away with features (not likely). Styling can/will be a deal maker or breaker.

2) Engine. I don't care if a V8 is available, I'd prefer an Ecoboost. I'd really prefer a Rootes blower but let's keep it realistic here. I would be ok with a 2.3L Ecoboost. For what I'm using it for, roughly 300hp would be just fine. Anything smaller than 2.3L Ecoboost is a dealbreaker though. Ecoboost V6 would be splendid.

3) Roof configuration. I don't care if the doors come off but I'd like more than a sunroof option. A removeable hardtop/convertible option would be great, removeable roof panels probably ok. This is not a deal killer however. I can live with a sunroof, though depending on cost I might not even order that. My Escape came with a panoramic roof. I very rarely have it open but I did used to drive convertibles and would only raise the top if I was caught out in the rain. Not a MUST HAVE but a nice to have.

4) Front axle. Much to the chagrin of the purists, I'd be perfectly happy with a well done IFS. I am envisioning very light "off roading" consisting of fire roads and easy trails. No rock crawling. 99% of it's life will be spent on road, giving up some capability at Moab while maybe gaining some streetability will be fine by me. That said, a solid axle will be fine too. Assuming they get it right. Truth be told, one more thing making me hesitate on the JLU order are reports of wandering steering. The JKs didn't do it, but numerous JLs do. The straight axle is getting blamed but if the JK had it right???? And I'm not talking about the infamous "death wobble" that's also reported. Front axle is not a deal maker or breaker to me, I only mention it because of the importance it has to others. On a Jeep forum I frequent, some are convinced the straight axle is the only reason Wranglers sell so well. My opinion is most Wrangler buyers couldn't tell you what a straight axle is, or why they want one. Ditto Bronco buyers. This forum is not made up of the typical buyers...

5) Features. Some of the options on the JL seem stupid expensive to me and aren't even available on lower end trim levels. If a Bronco with high tech headlights and electronics is cheaper than the JL with the same tech, that's a bonus. The headlights on the JK I rented last year were PATHETIC. Seriously bad. $1000 for LEDs though, AND you have to buy a Sahara just to get the option??? That means if you want a pretty simple Wrangler with LED headlights, you're paying about $2500 over what a similar Sport S would cost. Make things like high end lights available in the low end trim levels please. This is a combo platter of choices that could be significant to me.

6) Colors. No, seriously. I'm that shallow. If after seeing the Bronco I'm torn between it and the JL, a nice color could be enough to sway me. The JL color choices are pretty limited (and by limited I mean there's no nice maroon or burnt orange to choose, but there are three shades of gray/silver) THAT said, if everything else puts the Bronco above the JLU I will be fine getting a black one.

I'm probably forgetting something. And I'm sure the hard core off roaders are shunning me as they read this but them's the facts. I'm also thinking (hoping?) that the detail that sways me to the Bronco may well turn out to be something I hadn't even considered right now, as in something I won't even know I want until I see it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
5) Features. Some of the options on the JL seem stupid expensive to me and aren't even available on lower end trim levels. If a Bronco with high tech headlights and electronics is cheaper than the JL with the same tech, that's a bonus. The headlights on the JK I rented last year were PATHETIC. Seriously bad. $1000 for LEDs though, AND you have to buy a Sahara just to get the option??? That means if you want a pretty simple Wrangler with LED headlights, you're paying about $2500 over what a similar Sport S would cost. Make things like high end lights available in the low end trim levels please. This is a combo platter of choices that could be significant to me.

6) Colors. No, seriously. I'm that shallow. If after seeing the Bronco I'm torn between it and the JL, a nice color could be enough to sway me. The JL color choices are pretty limited (and by limited I mean there's no nice maroon or burnt orange to choose, but there are three shades of gray/silver) THAT said, if everything else puts the Bronco above the JLU I will be fine getting a black one.

... I'm also thinking (hoping?) that the detail that sways me to the Bronco may well turn out to be something I hadn't even considered right now, as in something I won't even know I want until I see it.
Ford is slightly better than some other manufacturers in regards to offering some common popular features across different trims, lights, FX4, and trailering packages come to mind. They do still force you to upgrade to the 1A or 2A electronics packages to get some things however, which I suppose include a different wiring package.

I'm also very curious about what kinds of colors and potentially color packages might be offered. If the Bronco is meant to be a 'performance' or halo model that could mean a more interesting base set of color options. I'm particularly curious to see if they offer some kind of contrast pattern that were very common in the era of the first generations of Bronco. Wranglers offer a little of this, with Black or Khaki tops and fenders, and I think the Bronco could do well with a Black or White contrasting top and fender flares.

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You both mention accessories, what kinds of items would you want Ford to offer with a Bronco? The recent reviews of the Ranger have mentioned Ford's partnership with Yakima, allowing some of those accessories to be rolled into the loan. Is there an already existing off road or vintage resto Bronco parts dealer you'd like to see Ford partner with and make a similar type of offering as the Ranger?

Personally, I can see picking up skid plates, rock sliders, bumpers or light bars soon after purchase, but it isn't often that I see anything genuinely appealing offered from the vehicle manufacturer.
I agree with BroncoRevital when he mentioned these items.

For me accessories more means features I suppose. Power outlets, skid plates, snorkel, tow hooks, sunroof, that tailgate curtain, wheel options, cameras, roll bar, roof rack, door removal, winch, rock sliders, tow package, communication radios, compass, lighting, extra cooling, and something just Broncoish. Some type of history throwback.
The main items I am looking for at launch are steel bumper options, tow hooks, rock sliders and lighting. Soon after launch, I want to see drive shafts, gears and axle upgrades. Since the Bronco will be so new I am more than of with these items being official ford accessories.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm probably forgetting something. And I'm sure the hard core off roaders are shunning me as they read this but them's the facts. I'm also thinking (hoping?) that the detail that sways me to the Bronco may well turn out to be something I hadn't even considered right now, as in something I won't even know I want until I see it.
Honestly your needs are a more realistic break down of what most consumers are looking for and what Ford should take into consideration as much as capability. It's going to be small details that are going to sway most consumers. As mush as I want a removable top and straight axles it is more important that it drives well and isn't a noisy rattling tank driving down the roads if they want to sell to the masses. Drivability and looks can't be emphasized enough. The Jeep sells so well partly because of it's iconic look and capability but I think everyone knows and is a little turned off to how it drives and it's noise in everyday driving. Ford can really capitalize with having a more refined yet as capable alternative. Thankfully the Bronco name is iconic as well and even in the beginning the Bronco was a more refined alternative to the Jeep and dressed up in more polished ways. Hopefully they stick to that formula.

What I'm really hoping for and what I think Ford could do to really surprise and impress people is make an easily removable top that is still civil and quite on the road.

Jeep made an impressive Chief concept and then transferred the paint scheme to the Wrangler. Looks pretty good. I think the Bronco would look good with a white top option.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE 4dr (His), '22 Bronco 7MT (Mine)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What mysteries about the new Bronco do you most eagerly await a reveal from Ford? Official statements about what the Bronco will be like, what purpose or role in the Ford lineup it will serve, what it will be capable of, or what it will even be made of have been extremely sparse so far. But Ford has set the goal of having the "freshest" model lineup by 2020, made predominantly of Trucks, SUVs and crossovers; and that includes the Bronco, which is also "coming" in 2020 -- so these mysteries can't last forever.

Even if we are to interpret that timeline in the most excruciatingly prolonged way, we can expect some pre-production self-propelled prototype version of the Bronco to be publicly viewable before the end of 2020. Given the complex design and tooling process of vehicle production, that would mean that even by now, several fundamental design qualities have been determined around which many of the other components and design elements must adhere to. Ford execs and engineers haven't been sitting on their thumbs for two years. What qualities are known?

One of them was revealed right in the beginning, and told us that the new Bronco would be smaller than the second generation. That's the T6 chassis it would share with several other Ford owned vehicles currently in production, like the Ranger, Everest and Troller T4. With so many length variants of the T6 we still don't know how long it will be, even if we do have reason to believe it will come in both 2 and 4 door versions.

Here are some of the other design constraints I think Ford knows, and has probably known for some time, that they're just waiting for the right moment to sprinkle into some press release, conference, "leak", or auto show presentation, to keep public interest in the Bronco and Ford up.

What type of engine will be under the hood: in general terms here, Ford has to have known for a considerable time what was going under the hood, if for no other reason than to know how large the engine bay needs to be, and what the drive line components need to be able to stand up to. If a 400hp 5.0L V8, or 3.0 V6, or just a featherweight 2.3L I4 will some day sit between the Bronco's fenders, the teams designing the sheet metal, suspension, and driveline needed to know that.

What type of suspension is under it: is the Bronco forging a brave new(old) path, or expected to face the competition and "reclaim [its] rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader" with hand-me-down parts bin components? Independent suspension all around like it's big brother Expedition, or solid axles like the 66'-77' classic design and namesake; or something inbetween? Teams designing sheet metal, steering, exhaust, etc. as well as third party parts manufacturers like Dana needed to know what was going between the wheels before even the first prototype is assembled. Anyone tuning a traction system has to have something to test it on long before it will be ready for release.

What is it made of: save a pound or take a pounding. The material the body components will be made of was probably determined before we even knew it wasn't just a wagon version of the Ranger, or Everest with a steel bumper. How much advantage there would be in saving weight vs. material cost and the profit margin estimates determined if we get an aluminum or steel bodied Bronco.

What will it look like: even if we're just talking final sketches, the size, shape and proportion have been settled for a long time now. In order for any of those things listed above to be accomplished, this needed to have been finalized already. A pile of images and 3D renderings based on technical specs is ready for presentations is sitting in someones 'done' folder.

What Bronco mysteries are you most eagerly waiting for Ford to reveal? And what do you think they're waiting for before they reveal them?
Excellent post by the way Stampede, as it is quite accurate. I mostly signed up to add on to your commentary and Administrator. You're very familiar with product planning in this case. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored