mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thats what im thinking of doing ,never good to put holes in those but the rack is a priority.
Sponsored

Lazarus327

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Incredibly unlikely that they would reengineer body panels and frame in a MY22 so that the MY22 top doesn't fit the MY21 body. The logistics on that make it almost unfeasible to do when production of MY22 will begin in 11 months and they already have supplier issues.

broncosor clarified this in his post #38 above:

"Sorry if my message wasn’t clear. I didn’t say that the MY22 top won’t fit a MY21 Bronco. I said that a MY22 ROOFRACK will probably not fit a MY21 Bronco. Reason being they are changing how the roof rack bolts on the top, and apparently the bolt placement (of the rack on the top, not of the top on the Bronco)"

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you. I’m trying to process all this, so why would this only happen with Sasquatch? Because the SAS Bronco would sit slightly higher and weigh more causing some sort of extra wind resistance w/ the top cargo flexing and cracking the top?

If it was going to be troublesome to get the 21MY roof rack, I was thinking I’d try to find some aftermarket bars like the ones below. But, now we introduce the possibly of flex, cracking, and roofs flying off? I have an 80lb tandem kayak I need to transport w/ Sasquatch.

24E9EE05-1286-4523-AA9F-03EA70B052EB.jpeg
Yeah they're a beast to get on top of a higher vehicle.
I sold my Native Slayer 14 because it was 14' long and weighed in at close to 100lbs without any gear. Ended up getting a Jackson Cuda 12, slightly lighter and that loss of 2' of length helped a LOT.
I haul a trailer most of the time because there is normally 6 of us going. But when it's just me and my wife we do (or did) the J bar and rack deal. Hers is a Perception Tribe, not the heaviest but not a light one either.
You should try throwing a Jackson Big Rig on a rack sometime. It will make you rethink life and your willingness/need to go kayaking. :LOL:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'm confused a bit, I see the high package indicated additional sound deadening..., if you add the ala cart sound deadening, and add the high, do you get double the sound deadening or is it 1 or the other?
Two different things.

The a la carte sound deadening you can add is the sound deadening headliner option.

The additional sound deadening that comes with the high package is different. We don't know for sure, but it's assumed to be typical dynamat type sound deadening material that is affixed directly to the body behind the dash and interior panels.

They are mutually exclusive. Depending on how you spec a bronco it is possible to have neither, both, or one or the other.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe they are needing to reinforce the "bolt" areas. Might be that they underestimated the copious amounts of crap end users might put on them?
That's one my theories as well. Because I don't buy an inch or so of height would throw off CG enough to ban a roof rack on the SAS 4-door, when compared to other 4-door versions. (Not to mention Ford plans to offer a rack for 2022.)

Maybe Ford's thought is a 4-door SAS could see more off-road use with more shock and jostling/off-camber loads on top? That could explain a need to design better/stronger mounting points for the rack, in particular areas it mounts to the hardtop shell and not metal body?

It's strange to me Ford will offer a rack on all but the 4-door SAS. What is the key difference of 4-door SAS that would cause the 2021 rack to be insufficient? To me it seems usage in combo with the stress of current mounting points compared to 2-door SAS.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup. That’s how I read it. So guys with a 2021 will be compatible with newer roofs. But you need a newer roof to unlock the 2022 rack.

...snipped...

If anything note that the 2021 racks will be a one a done (sas or no sas). Given all the 2021 Sasquatch guys that may go against Fords recommendation and buy a rack, Ford is NOT selling it as an accessory. Now we know why. And it will probably be hard to get a 2021 rack off other guys builds, seeing the balance of supply/demand and that they will be phased out.

...snipped...

Either way it’s not good news for resale. Fast forward 5 years and guys looking to buy used sasquatches will probably be inclined to uncheck the box for 2021 models on autotrader.
I wouldn’t worry too much - the aftermarket will likely make something compatible. I can’t see Thule or Yakima not providing a solution given how adaptable their systems are for most other vehicles.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sold my Native Slayer 14 because it was 14' long and weighed in at close to 100lbs without any gear. Ended up getting a Jackson Cuda 12, slightly lighter and that loss of 2' of length helped a LOT.
I haul a trailer most of the time because there is normally 6 of us going. But when it's just me and my wife we do (or did) the J bar and rack deal. Hers is a Perception Tribe, not the heaviest but not a light one either.
You should try throwing a Jackson Big Rig on a rack sometime. It will make you rethink life and your willingness/need to go kayaking. :LOL:
Biggest roof top pain point for me - is muddy water flowing down from our canoe. Especially when the top is off. You think that you got all the mud cleaned out, then start driving and get a surprise dripping down!

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Loving all the information. Just as some info, my dealer was not able to add the roof rack to my non squach BD build either. I added the sound deadening headliner, and i guess that was enough for it to not allow the roof rack since it also has the bumper, skid plates, etc. Plan was just to buy it as an accessory, but now that seems impossible? Frustrating.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yep. I wonder if it is the conundrum of adding reinforcement to the clamshell itself vs. making it really heavy that they might be looking at.
I mean, if the entire shell is formed from the same plastic throughout with no internal structure I can definitely see where it can stress it and cause issues.
But if they add structure not only does the weight increase but the cost also. You know it won't be free.
As someone else just pointed out, and I didn't think about it- you can still get a rack on some but not all models... so back to continuing to guess at the actual root cause.
Who knows other than the engineers...?

I guess a way around it is a 2k exoskeleton rack. My pockets ache from even considering that option.
A lot of the Wrangler overlanders are installing racks that drill through and bolt into a standalone frame inside the vehicle (I.e. not part of the clamshell). I don’t see how any of this fixes the CG issue. Maybe those long rails are really heavy because of the required structure.

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big Rig is a big honking boat. I used to brute force my Jackson Big Tuna ( tandem ) and a Cuda 12 onto the roof rack of our Toyota Sienna. Not fun. Going to go with a trailer for the Bronco - I can't imagine getting either of them up on the roof of a Squatch'd setup.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big Rig is a big honking boat. I used to brute force my Jackson Big Tuna ( tandem ) and a Cuda 12 onto the roof rack of our Toyota Sienna. Not fun. Going to go with a trailer for the Bronco - I can't imagine getting either of them up on the roof of a Squatch'd setup.
Just some unasked-for advice on the trailer (and something I am still heavily considering) if you don't have a garage to store the yaks in to keep them nice:
Get you an enclosed trailer and mount your storage for yaks on the walls.
Literally load them up, take them home, spray them off, and they are stored, protected, and good to go on the next trip.
With our current setup I have to unload all 6 (or more),
clean them up in preparation to go (so there are not snakes or surprise spiders),
re-load them on the racks,
back up to the trailer,
double-check the tie downs,
make sure nothing is going to fly off,
unload,
go yakking,
re-load,
take them back off at home,
wash them off, let dry
prep them with some 304 protectant,
reload, etc.
They still get some UV damage and dirty while sitting outside.
I'm seriously considering a 12' V nose enclosed, Raptor-lining the whole inside to protect it from water, installing some drains in the floor similar the ones in the Bronco, and go with it.
All the life jackets, gear, paddles and all are stored inside and ready to go when you are.
It takes me like an hour and a half to prep before we even leave the house and another hour and a half once back home, and that gets old.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Skid plates
I crawled under the body of a Badlands and a Wildtrak. The badlands has steel plates under the fuel tank and other places, while the Wildtrak doesn’t.
By chance, did it have the "standard bumper" that is offered on the Wildtrak and not the HD modular? I couldn't tell from the picture.
Sponsored