Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yes it’s a getrag Chinese unit. From my understanding getrag makes many successful transmissions but does have a few that have not been good, most notably your mustang.

I wish Ford or getrag would put out some information about why this one will be different. Even though it has MT in the name, it is supposedly a completely different design that will be used in many different vehicles.

for anecdotal info... my 2016 f150 automatic has also given me a very unpleasant driving experience, has required several Reflashes and I am now currently waiting for the dealer to put in a new driveshaft under warranty due to poor shifting and early wear (the dreaded low speed “clunk”) - at 46000 miles.
Ford just needs to go with Tremec Manual Transmissions. Strange how Ford didn't put the Getrag MT-82 in the GT 350 Mustangs? Oh, that's right..The Getrag can't handle the horse power and torque that the GT 350 motor puts out. And funny thing..It can't handle the power that the Coyote puts out either. Ford needs to pay the people for any problems and failures they've had with these defective MT-82's!

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, I have a 2011 Mustang GT with the MT-82 from new.
I had a main cluster bearing fail, which gave me a supercharger whine at about 10,000 miles (2013 ish). Trans was rebuilt under warranty after waiting weeks for parts. Rebuild was also bad, had what was determined to be trans rollover. (trans made bad noises stopped with the clutch depressed) I demanded a new trans and 3 months later got one. That trans is still in the car, now with 46,000 miles and is just about perfect. I do have an aftermarket MGW Shifter, stainless clutch line, trans mount bushing and 2 years ago I installed an aftermarket clutch/lightweight flywheel. (Exedy Mach 500). In cold weather it shifts a little slow for 5 minutes, then no issues. Many many 12 sec quarter mile runs @ 3900 lbs shifting about 7200 rpm.

If they offered the MT-88 with the V6 I would buy it.
I ordered a Badlands v6 auto lux.
Ever wonder why Ford isn't putting the MT-88 behind the 2.7 Ecoboost? Cause they know it won't hold up. Chinese Getrag = Trash

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2011 GT with the 6 spd manual. 85,000 miles no problems at all. I can beat synchros into 2, 3rd when cold. Take my time with the first few shifts or double clutch. I ordered the 7spd, 2 door Bronco with no concerns. Not happy the trans is built in China.
You're lucky. I've heard a few favorable comments about the Getrag MT-82 like yours. I guess I got a bad one? I don't beat my Mustang. I know how to drive a manual. I don't over rev, don't dump the clutch, don't drag race, or even go to track days. And my MT-82 failed at 46,000 miles!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're lucky. I've heard a few favorable comments about the Getrag MT-82 like yours. I guess I got a bad one? I don't beat my Mustang. I know how to drive a manual. I don't over rev, don't dump the clutch, don't drag race, or even go to track days. And my MT-82 failed at 46,000 miles!
We're all hoping the mT-88 is far superior to the MT-82 and shifts as it should. I'll probably get the 8 year powertrain-only ESP if the dealer gives me a good deal on it, peace of mind that if any issues come up it will be covered. The manual will be too much fun to pass up for me.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford just needs to go with Tremec Manual Transmissions. Strange how Ford didn't put the Getrag MT-82 in the GT 350 Mustangs? Oh, that's right..The Getrag can't handle the horse power and torque that the GT 350 motor puts out. And funny thing..It can't handle the power that the Coyote puts out either
What? MT-82s are known to handle repeated drag strip abuse at 700+hp. They're certainly strong enough to handle the power level of a Coyote or even a GT350.

The Tremec TR-3160 that was used in the GT350 and the upcoming Mach 1 was designed specifically for improved high RPM shifts, as the GT350R will surpass 8000rpm in stock form.

The MT-82 very specifically had issues with high RPM lockout, where trying to force a shift at high RPM resulted in that gear being basically blocked. Not great for an 8000+RPM screamer.

Other common issues were intermittent slipping, jerking, premature wear, and gear clashes. These can all be explained by poor assembly tolerances and consistency. It's why half of Mustang owners hate the transmission and the other half think it's perfectly fine.

It has nothing to do with the ability of the trans to hold power.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand it's a Getrag. If it's made in China like the Getrag MT-82? I would stay far away from it. My 2012 Mustang GT's Getrag MT-82 has failed in less than 46,000 miles. No drag racing or track days. Just normal driving. There's a class action lawsuit against Ford for the MT-82. I'm replacing mine with a Tremec T-56 Magnum XL next week. Do your research and beware.
Getrags are german engineered, manufactured in China. Tremecs are mexican engineered and manufactured. Almost comparing apples to oranges here. I trust german quality standards more than mexico's, but all it takes is one fly to ruin a batch of ointment. I've seen manufacturing in Mexico, and have heard first hand accounts of Chinese manufacturing plants from co-workers. I don't believe one is better than the other.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to hear! I came here to read fun stuff about Bronco MTs and instead I was getting worried about my 2011 Mustang going south (only ~40K miles on mine but no issues)
Keep your fingers crossed and drive it easy. Or you might have problems?

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait a minute, I thought I read the mustang shifting issue was from mushy shifter/trans mounts?
Understood they are much better with aftermarket mounts, just more NVH.

Sponsored

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What? MT-82s are known to handle repeated drag strip abuse at 700+hp. They're certainly strong enough to handle the power level of a Coyote or even a GT350.

The Tremec TR-3160 that was used in the GT350 and the upcoming Mach 1 was designed specifically for improved high RPM shifts, as the GT350R will surpass 8000rpm in stock form.

The MT-82 very specifically had issues with high RPM lockout, where trying to force a shift at high RPM resulted in that gear being basically blocked. Not great for an 8000+RPM screamer.

Other common issues were intermittent slipping, jerking, premature wear, and gear clashes. These can all be explained by poor assembly tolerances and consistency. It's why half of Mustang owners hate the transmission and the other half think it's perfectly fine.

It has nothing to do with the ability of the trans to hold power.
I adamantly disagree! The gen 1 MT-82 has a torque rating of 370 Lb ft. The 2011 & 2012 Coyotes put out 412 horse power and 390 Lb ft of torque stock. A few modifications to my Coyote, and my engine is at about 450 horse power, and close to 395 Lb ft of torque. That's too close for my liking. The Tremec T-56 Magnum XL that will be installed in my Mustang next week will handle 800 horse power and 700 Lb ft of torque. That's more like it!

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait a minute, I thought I read the mustang shifting issue was from mushy shifter/trans mounts?
Understood they are much better with aftermarket mounts, just more NVH.
Some people are lucky and have no problems. Others have many. The Getrag MT-82 in my humble opinion is just a junk transmission. I installed an MGW shifter and a whiteline transmission bushing to stiffen the shifting and reduce the NVH. Love the MGW, can't say enough good things about it. Even with the shifter and bushing, no drag racing, track days or hard driving my MT-82 failed at 46,000 miles. 2nd gear lock out is another issue. But because I very rarely drove my Mustang hard, I only experienced 2nd gear lock out three times. It's just a junk transmission. I'd be very skeptical about the Chinese made MT-88.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getrags are german engineered, manufactured in China. Tremecs are mexican engineered and manufactured. Almost comparing apples to oranges here. I trust german quality standards more than mexico's, but all it takes is one fly to ruin a batch of ointment. I've seen manufacturing in Mexico, and have heard first hand accounts of Chinese manufacturing plants from co-workers. I don't believe one is better than the other.
Tremecs are way better Transmissions. That's why Ford put the Tremec in the GT 350, Chevy put them in Corvettes and Camaros, and Dodge puts them in Challengers. Most high end performance cars with manual transmissions are Tremecs.

cesarinho

Black Diamond
First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This german engineering vs american engineering vs mexican engineering talk is just wrong.
Most engineering departments including Ford have engineers from all over the world and are trying to be a profitable business... that's why they have factories in China or Mexico to save on labor costs.

The truth is the Bronco (just like any other vehicle is going to have parts manufactured in other countries) Quality is different these days. No way around it . Just hoping to get my Mansquatch Bronco ASAP!

*Edit. I daily drive a 2019 Mustang 2.3 (same engine as the bronco) Manual transmission, have 35k miles in it and is a blast driving it, no issues.

Last edited:

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Never owned a manual Mustang, but I test drove a '20 GT and though it need a short shifter and stainless steel clutch line.

If I weren't committed to the Bronco, would of gone with a Mustang GT, but alas, I know what to look for in the Bronco and hopefully they'll have solutions soon enough
My 2018 gt benefited greatly with just the Steeda clutch pedal spring and perch.
Sponsored