Sponsored

Will Jeep switch to IFS in the Wrangler?

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It was mentioned above, but EPA will “kill” the SFA in the Jeep. It almost killed it in the JL. EPA was the reason for the raked windshield.

I think many of the folks that have Sport models and a set of 35s that mostly drive on the road would greatly benefit from IFS.

I think that the Rubicon folks will want the SFA.

I know FCA (wait wait... Stellantis now, right?) will make both crowds happy. I can imagine the Rubicon keeping the SFA, and all other trims having an IFS subframe that unbolts, and the frame will have brackets to support a bolt in SFA kit available via Mopar.

Everyone wins. Jeep would end up making more money, by selling OEM SFA kits AND selling more Jeeps to people who expect them to drive like a car (lot of folks) and also skirt EPA penalties.

one thing is for sure, it’s going to get better before it gets worse. Have fun with it. The consumer has an amazing choice of vehicles right now.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm, maybe.

Spicer/Dana already offers bolt-in D44 and D60 complete assemblies, so it would be pretty easy to offer them via Mopar as a "kit". Ford does the same, offers complete axle assemblies ready to bolt-in. I guess we will see.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
one thing is for sure, it’s going to get better before it gets worse. Have fun with it. The consumer has an amazing choice of vehicles right now.
I guess that depends on if your segment is supported.

I have a full-size V8 AWD off-road SUV and a 4 door manual trans V8 sedan.

I can’t replace either with a newer modern vehicle. I think our current offerings available are less than ‘slim’.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You’ll notice, even if Jeep ends up killing every parent company it hitches up to, it’s still the last man standing no matter what. You don’t see many Plymouth’s anymore do you?
93ef49baad20fec435e64c7ff7793011.jpg

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess that depends on if your segment is supported.

I have a full-size V8 AWD off-road SUV and a 4 door manual trans V8 sedan.

I can’t replace either with a newer modern vehicle. I think our current offerings available are less than ‘slim’.
yeah, the sedan segment sure does look like it’s dying.

but, we did see Ford respond to the Dodge TRX with the promise of a V8 in the Raptor for 2022, dubbed the Raptor R. We saw the rear suspension go from leaf sprung to coil, like what’s in the Bronco. And apparently there will be a Bronco R, which may have a V8?

certainly we’ll have to wait and see. If one thing is for sure, if there’s going to be a V8 in the Bronco we’re going to have to see it soon. Fingers crossed for those who want a V8 Bronco!

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which Jeep? The one owned by Bantam, Willys, Kaiser, AMC, Daimler Chrysler or Fiat?

They are almost kind of the Jonah of the automotive world... a pattern for success to be sure.

MPG ratings and crash/stability testing play a role too. IMO that is what will eventually kill it if better riding/driving competitors don't do it first.

Not really, it looks like a normal IFS but the diff is offset for some reason and is somehow tied to the DS suspension. On a TTB the diff is part of the DS axle beam.
OK, I still think it "looks" like TTB. One long side, one short side, seems to be fixed the the long side and pivot on the short side so maybe a STB? Looks expensive and complex, likely why it wasn't adopted? I think the market for Body on Frame mid size is limited, it will grow somewhat overall with the Bronco, but Jeep will likely stick to its niche with Jeep faithful and stay SFA for a long time. Make higher margins on a less complex vehicle with a passionate fan base and ceed a portion of the market to Bronco. Just my opinion. They eventually went IFS on RAM tight? They were the last 1/2 ton SFA PU I believe.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
yeah, the sedan segment sure does look like it’s dying.

but, we did see Ford respond to the Dodge TRX with the promise of a V8 in the Raptor for 2022, dubbed the Raptor R. We saw the rear suspension go from leaf sprung to coil, like what’s in the Bronco. And apparently there will be a Bronco R, which may have a V8?

certainly we’ll have to wait and see. If one thing is for sure, if there’s going to be a V8 in the Bronco we’re going to have to see it soon. Fingers crossed for those who want a V8 Bronco!
Sedan segment is dead outside of the Charger and very high end cars, it’s absolutely dreary.

SUV segment is just as bad, GM neutered the Suburban and Tahoe, leaving you with the Wrangler and the 4Runner(&GX), otherwise we have essentially no SUVs on the market until the Bronco comes.

Unless your segment is ricerburners, minivans(crossovers), or full-size trucks your SOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK, I still think it "looks" like TTB. One long side, one short side, seems to be fixed the the long side and pivot on the short side so maybe a STB? Looks expensive and complex, likely why it wasn't adopted? I think the market for Body on Frame mid size is limited, it will grow somewhat overall with the Bronco, but Jeep will likely stick to its niche with Jeep faithful and stay SFA for a long time. Make higher margins on a less complex vehicle with a passionate fan base and ceed a portion of the market to Bronco. Just my opinion. They eventually went IFS on RAM tight? They were the last 1/2 ton SFA PU I believe.
Yeah, looks complicated and you have some sort of linkage to move the diff around too for long term reliability fun.

Officially the Dodge Ram 1500 circa early '00's was the last half ton, the Ram Power Wagon is officially a 3/4 ton but has half ton like payload and tow ratings.

SUV segment is just as bad, GM neutered the Suburban and Tahoe, leaving you with the Wrangler and the 4Runner(&GX), otherwise we have essentially no SUVs on the market until the Bronco comes.
Pretty much why we are getting a Bronco. Suburban junk (not the GM byproduct) struggles in our environment and she wants no part of a 4Runner.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Simple put, I seriously doubt it. A Jeep's not a Jeep without a solid axle front and rear.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a higher chance the Bronco will go FSA than Jeep going FIS. That's what makes the Wrangler a Wrangler. Owners and fan boys will disown Jeep if they did that. And in a market where brand layalty is important. Jeep has a big following

Sponsored

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not exactly. Solid axles are Jeep’s bread and butter and moving to IFS will lose their core enthusiast base IMO. Given their lengthy model year run (about 10 years) I can certainly see them doing this when the next gen (JM?) arrives. Maybe in Sahara-only form.
It's possible, approximately 90% are mall crawlers and never see a trail. Most likely why Ford went IFS. But it is a way off given Jeeps LONG life cycle...What is it? About every 10 years?

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Gee, Defender went IFS (And IRS), G- Wagen went IFS, 4 Runner is IFS, and Jeep has...DEATH WOBBLE. I agree both ways: Wrangler must keep the sold front axle because it is what a Wrangler is, and helps with rock scrambling, but in addition to DEATH WOBBLE, you have head-toss, more unsprung weight, worse for cornering and braking, etc etc

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Of course not ,who would pull out the hummers,defenders ,yotas, and future 6gbroncos it would be a tragedy .

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In reading in Wrangler and Gladiator groups, SFA is the only argument they have as to why they are better than the Bronco. Other than the morons that think the Sport is the regular Bronco. So if Jeep went IFS, many would have no need to stay with a Wrangler. They deal with all of the issues and shortcomings just to have SFA.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model