Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All, I reached out to @DealerInsider about the issue where Mass residents are penalized for living in this pothole-riddled hellhole by the RMV not allowing temp plates.

Here are the options I received from Tom:

Massachusetts:
  • Option 1: Take receipt of the Bronco with temp plates, drive off into the sunset and roll the dice once you hit the MA border (NOT endorsed by Chapman Ford of Horsham).
  • Option 2: AFTER the purchase paperwork is signed and the Bronco is purchased at Chapman, Chapman uses an agency in MA and there is usually a ~2-day turnaround to receive the plates back at Chapman. However, ahead of this, the customer needs to provide Chapman the application form from their insurance company for the RMV-1 form before that ~2-day turnaround clock starts.
  • Option 3: Virtual walk-around. Paperwork is traded via UPS/FedEx between customer and Chapman. Chapman will FaceTime a walk-around of your Bronco for inspection. Permanent plates will be shipped to Chapman (via mechanism in Option 2) within ~2 days and you can pick up the Bronco at that point.
New Hampshire:
  • NH resident must appear in person at the dealership. Out of state dealers may not prepare a New Hampshire Title application. If a New Hampshire resident buys a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, the dealership shall provide the owner with either the Certificate of Origin or the Title. The buyer must apply for a new Title in his or her name at the town/city clerk's office and register the vehicle. A $25.00 title fee will apply, along with the appropriate registration fees. A VIN verification may be required.

Thanks a lot, Tom and team, for all the help!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All, I reached out to @DealerInsider about the issue where Mass residents are penalized for living in this pothole-riddled hellhole by the RMV not allowing temp plates.

Massachusetts:
  • Option 1: Take receipt of the Bronco with temp plates, drive off into the sunset and roll the dice once you hit the MA border (NOT endorsed by Chapman Ford of Horsham).
  • Option 2: AFTER the purchase paperwork is signed and the Bronco is purchased at Chapman, Chapman uses an agency in MA and there is usually a ~2-day turnaround to receive the plates back at Chapman. However, ahead of this, the customer needs to provide Chapman the application form from their insurance company for the RMV-1 form before that ~2-day turnaround clock starts.
  • Option 3: Virtual walk-around. Paperwork is traded via UPS/FedEx between customer and Chapman. Chapman will FaceTime a walk-around of your Bronco for inspection. Permanent plates will be shipped the Chapman (via mechanism in Option 2) within ~2 days and you can pick up the Bronco at that point.
New Hampshire:
  • NH resident must appear in person at the dealership. Out of state dealers may not prepare a New Hampshire Title application. If a New Hampshire resident buys a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, the dealership shall provide the owner with either the Certificate of Origin or the Title. The buyer must apply for a new Title in his or her name at the town/city clerk's office and register the vehicle. A $25.00 title fee will apply, along with the appropriate registration fees. A VIN verification may be required.

Thanks a lot, Tom and team for all the help!
Wow. So temp plates aren't allowed AT ALL in Mass or they just refuse to recognize temps from other states? If it's the former how is the purchase of a new car in-state handled? Just curious.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ready to have your mind blown?

Ford Bronco For New England folks purchasing at Chapman Ford of Horsham F2778C9A-10F3-4EF2-8038-C191E9C847FD

(I may be able to answer some legal questions surround MA law if you have specific questions)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shotsy

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow. So temp plates aren't allowed AT ALL in Mass or they just refuse to recognize temps from other states? If it's the former how is the purchase of a new car in-state handled? Just curious.
If you are a MA resident driving a car with temp plates in MA, the law considers that as you driving a non-registered vehicle.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re trading in your car that’s currently registered, you can just move the plates over. You have a week to officially transfer the registration over. (You must cary the bill of sale and proof you no longer retain ownership of the other car for this to be legal.)

If you’re not trading a currently registered car in, you can either:

1. Take the bill of sale and proof of insurance to a Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) location and they issue you a plate on the spot, and you go back and pick your new car up.

Or

2. Some dealerships, insurance agents, and AAA offices can also issue plates on the spot with the same documentation.

If you purchase a car out of state (without a trade) you either do the same (ive had bills of sale and titles fedexed to me) and then you bring your plates with you when you pick the car up... or that state issues you a temp plate and you just drive on it in MA. But since they aren’t common you’ll attract attention, so you don’t want to out stay your welcome on that.

A MA resident driving on a temp tag from another state is technically illegal per Mass General Law (MGL)... but I’m trying to find a recent legal update on this. With the proliferation of Carvana and similar services that issue a temp tag, things aren’t as clear cut as the used to be.

This is *not* legal advice... but if you get an out of state temp tag and drive on it for a day or two (or longer because of Covid) and you’re not being a dink... and you have a good story, you should be okay.

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Massachusetts:
  • Option 3: Virtual walk-around. Paperwork is traded via UPS/FedEx between customer and Chapman. Chapman will FaceTime a walk-around of your Bronco for inspection. Permanent plates will be shipped the Chapman (via mechanism in Option 2) within ~2 days and you can pick up the Bronco at that point.
New Hampshire:

Thanks a lot, Tom and team for all the help!
Transfer your plates from something else and bring them with you.

I am transferring the plates. You will know the VIN, tell your insurance agent the VIN and that you are going to buy it on whatever day and that you will call them from the dealer (most likely you will need the Proof of insurance for your loan as well). So your credit union (whatever) will also be on your calling list for that day.

ANOTHER EDIT: Bring your Bill of Sale from your old car showing that you sold it to your spouse. That shows it is gone.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shotsy

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Kind of sounds like a violation of the full faith and credit clause of the constitution. *** I am not a Lawyer***

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you’re trading in your car that’s currently registered, you can just move the plates over. You have a week to officially transfer the registration over. (You must cary the bill of sale and proof you no longer retain ownership of the other car for this to be legal.)

If you’re not trading a currently registered car in, you can either:

1. Take the bill of sale and proof of insurance to a Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) location and they issue you a plate on the spot, and you go back and pick your new car up.

Or

2. Some dealerships, insurance agents, and AAA offices can also issue plates on the spot with the same documentation.

If you purchase a car out of state (without a trade) you either do the same (ive had bills of sale and titles fedexed to me) and then you bring your plates with you when you pick the car up... or that state issues you a temp plate and you just drive on it in MA. But since they aren’t common you’ll attract attention, so you don’t want to out stay your welcome on that.

A MA resident driving on a temp tag from another state is technically illegal per Mass General Law (MGL)... but I’m trying to find a recent legal update on this. With the proliferation of Carvana and similar services that issue a temp tag, things aren’t as clear cut as the used to be.

This is *not* legal advice... but if you get an out of state temp tag and drive on it for a day or two (or longer because of Covid) and you’re not being a dink... and you have a good story, you should be okay.
Geez, what a citizen unfriendly system. Thanks for explaining.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You'd still need proof of ownership...
I edited my comment. Your Proof of ownership is the BoS from Chapman. Your proof of insurance is the old registration (which you would bring with you).

Your Insurance agent should know how to do this.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model