Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Shotsy Sorry I'm a bit scatterbrained in my answers tonight. Work was just a bit hectic and I'm trying to rev down from it.

LSS - just make sure that your insurance agent and loan place have the VIN of what you expect to be buying and make sure that the the parties expect to get calls from each other.
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Shotsy Sorry I'm a bit scatterbrained in my answers tonight. Work was just a bit hectic and I'm trying to rev down from it.
trade
LSS - just make sure that your insurance agent and loan place have the VIN of what you expect to be buying and make sure that the the parties expect to get calls from each other.
This. Last couple of vehicles I bought, we transferred the insurance from my trade to the new one by phone at the dealer. If you're not trading, they should be able to insure you by phone with the VIN....

SK29

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All, I reached out to @DealerInsider about the issue where Mass residents are penalized for living in this pothole-riddled hellhole by the RMV not allowing temp plates.

Here are the options I received from Tom:

Massachusetts:
  • Option 1: Take receipt of the Bronco with temp plates, drive off into the sunset and roll the dice once you hit the MA border (NOT endorsed by Chapman Ford of Horsham).
  • Option 2: AFTER the purchase paperwork is signed and the Bronco is purchased at Chapman, Chapman uses an agency in MA and there is usually a ~2-day turnaround to receive the plates back at Chapman. However, ahead of this, the customer needs to provide Chapman the application form from their insurance company for the RMV-1 form before that ~2-day turnaround clock starts.
  • Option 3: Virtual walk-around. Paperwork is traded via UPS/FedEx between customer and Chapman. Chapman will FaceTime a walk-around of your Bronco for inspection. Permanent plates will be shipped the Chapman (via mechanism in Option 2) within ~2 days and you can pick up the Bronco at that point.
New Hampshire:
  • NH resident must appear in person at the dealership. Out of state dealers may not prepare a New Hampshire Title application. If a New Hampshire resident buys a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, the dealership shall provide the owner with either the Certificate of Origin or the Title. The buyer must apply for a new Title in his or her name at the town/city clerk's office and register the vehicle. A $25.00 title fee will apply, along with the appropriate registration fees. A VIN verification may be required.

Thanks a lot, Tom and team for all the help!
Thanks for the information .... I am heading there from NH

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The NH portion is almost, but not quite, right. This is an excerpt from the NH DMV vehicle registration page (https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/registration/vehicle.htm):

"Registering a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealership: Present to your town/city clerk your title from the dealership or the New Hampshire title application from the lienholder. If it is a brand new vehicle, a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) is required. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city."

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If youā€™re trading in your car thatā€™s currently registered, you can just move the plates over. You have a week to officially transfer the registration over. (You must cary the bill of sale and proof you no longer retain ownership of the other car for this to be legal.)

If youā€™re not trading a currently registered car in, you can either:

1. Take the bill of sale and proof of insurance to a Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) location and they issue you a plate on the spot, and you go back and pick your new car up.

Or

2. Some dealerships, insurance agents, and AAA offices can also issue plates on the spot with the same documentation.

If you purchase a car out of state (without a trade) you either do the same (ive had bills of sale and titles fedexed to me) and then you bring your plates with you when you pick the car up... or that state issues you a temp plate and you just drive on it in MA. But since they arenā€™t common youā€™ll attract attention, so you donā€™t want to out stay your welcome on that.

A MA resident driving on a temp tag from another state is technically illegal per Mass General Law (MGL)... but Iā€™m trying to find a recent legal update on this. With the proliferation of Carvana and similar services that issue a temp tag, things arenā€™t as clear cut as the used to be.

This is *not* legal advice... but if you get an out of state temp tag and drive on it for a day or two (or longer because of Covid) and youā€™re not being a dink... and you have a good story, you should be okay.
Since I live in NH and work in MA, and I have purchased several new cars over the last 20+ years, I can say that regulation is not enforced, at all. In fact, I was in an accident, with my (new) 2016 Fusion, just two weeks after I bought it. The wreck happened in Somerville, and LE was on scene. They didn't even flinch, when they took my (NH temporary) plate info.

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Another random thought I haven't confirmed but... PA doesn't have front plates... So

Is it possible I'll get my baby home without two drill holes in the front ?
šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

I'll need something in nh but something like tow hook mounted will probably suffice. Might even consider one of those motorized hidden plates for astetic purposes down the line.

Regardless, this place half melted down when we found out where the front plate mount is supposed to go. As long as the bracket is dealer install vs factory, there may be an extra advantage to the Chapman deal

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another random thought I haven't confirmed but... PA doesn't have front plates... So

Is it possible I'll get my baby home without two drill holes in the front ?
šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

I'll need something in nh but something like tow hook mounted will probably suffice. Might even consider one of those motorized hidden plates for astetic purposes down the line.

Regardless, this place half melted down when we found out where the front plate mount is supposed to go. As long as the bracket is dealer install vs factory, there may be an extra advantage to the Chapman deal
Just make it extremely clear / put it in the sales agreement that the dealership is *not* to drill the front plate holder.

This is not so uncommon that they wonā€™t know what youā€™re talking about.

Saves them the time as well.

While youā€™re at it, tell them no license plate frames or dealer stickers on the back.
Sponsored