Sponsored

Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs?

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
Because due to whole-vehicle integration with the infotainment console...You wind up spending a great deal of time in the vehicle having to deal with it.

Most would be happy if it just...Went away. I know I would. Just let me slap my phone on the dash and use it. It's always better and more up-to-date anyway.

But they're here to stay, and the way they're implemented and integrated has a huge impact on the driver experience. So people are gonna talk aboot it.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because due to whole-vehicle integration with the infotainment console...You wind up spending a great deal of time in the vehicle having to deal with it.

Most would be happy if it just...Went away. I know I would. Just let me slap my phone on the dash and use it. It's always better and more up-to-date anyway.

But they're here to stay, and the way they're implemented and integrated has a huge impact on the driver experience. So people are gonna talk aboot it.
I want a heads up display on a contact lens. Now that shit would be cool. Never have to look at a screen again

OP
OP
Aragonite

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok that makes sense. I think all the big screens look pretty ugly, and on top of that, I just think about what used vehicles from this era will be like 50 years from now. Now-a-days anyone can work on a 60s mustang as a project car, but who is going to take a Mach-E or Tesla on as a parent-child project car in 2070? Is the age of working on your own vehicles at home forever coming to a close? Will there be demand for mid to late 1900s/early 2000s cars decades from now because no one can work on their flying saucers?

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok that makes sense. I think all the big screens look pretty ugly, and on top of that, I just think about what used vehicles from this era will be like 50 years from now. Now-a-days anyone can work on a 60s mustang as a project car, but who is going to take a Mach-E or Tesla on as a parent-child project car in 2070? Is the age of working on your own vehicles at home forever coming to a close? Will there be demand for mid to late 1900s/early 2000s cars decades from now because no one can work on their flying saucers?
People have been using the “who will want to work on x thing in Y year with Z technology” for 75 years now.

As technology gets better so do the tools to work on it.

OP
OP
Aragonite

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

People have been using the “who will want to work on x thing in Y year with Z technology” for 75 years now.

As technology gets better so do the tools to work on it.
Good point

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have zero interest in any of it till I can get some damn implants. Fooling around with new hand held and touchscreen stuff is a waste of time till then.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Auto journalists drove the infotainment demand because it's easy to sit in a press car and mess around with all that stuff and write articles about it. Manufacturers started getting fancier and fancier as a form of competition and to feed the journo's demands.

Basically, tech gadgetry is an easy metric for lazy comparisons which quickly created a feedback loop and, well, here we are.

It's the same reason every "touch surface" in a car has to be soft all the sudden. Journalists sitting in cars at auto shows and poking stuff.

You know, there might be a silver lining to this whole covid thing ...

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs? 323AB02A-2D97-43CF-B968-7861AE2E0BA6

As a serious response yes because we are addicted to screens
I think that says it all. Older people seem to not trust technology. Keep in mind when I was a teen, I had a rear speaker in my car with reverb. I was considered a King.