Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What appeals you to the 2021 Ford Bronco over other competitors such as the Toyota 4runner and Jeep Wrangler? Explain.
Top must come off, it's so much fun on/off road with top off, the 4runner is not an option for me.

In terms of Wrangler, since the JK, I've never liked the front fenders. I don't like the way they appear tacked on, and not integrated better with the body. CJ/YJ/TJ fenders I liked much better. I like the JL in most every other way, but those fenders ...

I'm ok with no V8 in the new Bronco, and will live with IFS, as long as Ford does a decent job at articulation, and makes up for it with good rear axle articulation. Hopefully Ford comes through with a decent priced base model. Price could keep me out.
Sponsored

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Top must come off, it's so much fun on/off road with top off, the 4runner is not an option for me.

In terms of Wrangler, since the JK, I've never liked the front fenders. I don't like the way they appear tacked on, and not integrated better with the body. CJ/YJ/TJ fenders I liked much better. I like the JL in most every other way, but those fenders ...

I'm ok with no V8 in the new Bronco, and will live with IFS, as long as Ford does a decent job at articulation, and makes up for it with good rear axle articulation. Hopefully Ford comes through with a decent priced base model. Price could keep me out.
Yes, the fenders on Jeeps are an issue for me too. I am loving how the Bronco looks.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love jeeps but if I spent new car money on one it'd be a rebuilding my CJ. Also living on Maui you have to seriously modify your jeep to not look like a tourist. Toyotas ugh, why are they even included. They are fat, slow, ugly, fragile, Ive seen frame mount and rocker rust in lest that 5 years on em. They are just terrible.
On the Toyota gen 3 that is a problem, are you Still seeing rust on the gen 5 toyotas?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Try living in Hawaii. 4 door wranglers and convertible mustangs as far as the eye can see. Luckily they've been held at bay due to our mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals, but I'm sure they'll be back out in force in no time.
Aloha! Yeah does anybody want to buy a fleet of jeepstangs, we have about 10,000 of em parked at the Kahului airport out in the field. On one hand I hope the Bronco sells well and breaks into the rental fleet, but on the other hand I want want to see a hundred of em in my parking lot every day on the Hana Highway lol.

Good to see another islander on here. These people dont know anything about rust on 3 or 4 year old car.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I honestly don't know. I have a growing family so need more space. I have a Mazda6 on lease right now and its up in November of 21.

Why Bronco though, I honestly have no idea. I had mustang's in the past, off roading and stuff like that has never been my scene. Not a fan of wranglers and being honest was never a huge fan of past Broncos. Nice vehicles, just never did anything for me.

Something about this one just has a place in my head. Ever since I saw some of the leaked photos the image has been seared into my brain and I have been waiting and waiting for the reveal and any information. I guess the main reason is it's not a cookie cutter CUV. I want a bigger vehicle when my lease is up and the Bronco just keeps occupying my mind lol.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On the Toyota gen 3 that is a problem, are you Still seeing rust on the gen 5 toyotas?
I dont follow toyotas enough to know their generations. It not the newest ones, yet. But the style before that, they are getting rusty. My boss had one with real bad rust on the frame. They even washed it pretty regularly, So they sold it and because of crazy resale value had a ton of money to buy a older v8 landcruiser with all the luxury stuff and still a bunch of money in their pocket.

2gre8taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1. Removable top: Jeeps are the only acceptable convertible to buy in Upstate NY where 60% of the year snow is possible. With that said, I'll probably go 4 door, because short wb in snow is not great for high speed stability.

2. On road characteristics: I'll use the car 95% of the time on road, so IFS on the bronco is a positive for me. We don't have big rocks to climb up here, and I had an old Grand Cherokee with death wobble, it's the scariest thing to not feel in control of the car at speed on dry road. I hope that it has a part-time 4wd option too. A majority of snow driving is patches of slush/snow and then dry pavement. The full-time 4wd in the taco can't handle dry pavement, so highway driving in 2wd can get dicey when you need to change lanes at 65mph and there is a line of white stuff between the lanes.

3. Power/Fuel Economy: I need something that can get closer to 20mpg highway, and not be a complete dog off the line. The TTv6 is a game changer since you can add a tune with minimal fuel economy impact if it's lacking power in anyway.

4. Reliability: I would consider a Jeep if it wasn't an FCA product. My family was in the autoparts business, so I appreciate Chrysler and GM for keeping us in business for so long, but I would never own one.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, the fenders on Jeeps are an issue for me too. I am loving how the Bronco looks.
I always liked the fenders on Jeeps and was originally hoping for Troller T4 styling on the Bronco. That is until I saw the recent Jeep offset crash tests. Suddenly the Bronco design makes a lot more sense.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My priorities are:
1) 2 door vehicle w/ capable 4x4 and manual transmission (no rock climbing required)
2) Can't be stripped down... needs bells and whistles
3) No Fiat

I think this leaves me with a Taco or (hopefully) a Bronco.
Bronco takes it with better fuel efficiency (hopefully) and removeable (and replaceable) top/doors.

Would also consider a 7sp manual Ranger (hint) but I think Bronco would still win out.

Sponsored

NY Bronco II

Badlands
First Name
Barney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco II, 2008 Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. Removable top: Jeeps are the only acceptable convertible to buy in Upstate NY where 60% of the year snow is possible. With that said, I'll probably go 4 door, because short wb in snow is not great for high speed stability.

2. On road characteristics: I'll use the car 95% of the time on road, so IFS on the bronco is a positive for me. We don't have big rocks to climb up here, and I had an old Grand Cherokee with death wobble, it's the scariest thing to not feel in control of the car at speed on dry road. I hope that it has a part-time 4wd option too. A majority of snow driving is patches of slush/snow and then dry pavement. The full-time 4wd in the taco can't handle dry pavement, so highway driving in 2wd can get dicey when you need to change lanes at 65mph and there is a line of white stuff between the lanes.

3. Power/Fuel Economy: I need something that can get closer to 20mpg highway, and not be a complete dog off the line. The TTv6 is a game changer since you can add a tune with minimal fuel economy impact if it's lacking power in anyway.

4. Reliability: I would consider a Jeep if it wasn't an FCA product. My family was in the autoparts business, so I appreciate Chrysler and GM for keeping us in business for so long, but I would never own one.
So well spoken for upstate NY

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because I’ve always had an unhealthy obsession with Broncos. It’s like in my DNA.

The Bronco is American freedom, capability, tough and fun at the same time.

And yeah all the other practical reasons others have said blah blah remove top blah blah comfort, blah blah quality.

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've owned 5 Wranglers over the years and never had a significant issue with any one of them. IF I were to switch I'll make a pros and cons list of each and see where each lands. Things I'm looking forward to in the Bronco- IFS, better MPG, better interior and better price (?).
I am in the same place as you. I am very interested in the new Bronco and might switch from my JK Rubicon. I really want to see hard/soft top options. But I like the exterior looks of the 2dr Bronco from the leaks so far. I hope the interior is not too much plastic.
Sponsored