Sponsored

Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs?

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm probably one of the younger members on here (27). I want less tech. I don't use it. Easy way to connect phone for music. Solid nav system. Knobs for hvac, volume, seek. Good to go.

My parents both have newish(18+) Mazda's and they're nice. Very well built. drive great. Great dailys for 90% of people. They have all the new tech and I hate it. I don't like the steering wheel vibrating every time I switch lanes or pass someone. I don't need beeps and chimes every time someone passes me and goes through a Blindspot. I'm fine if these are all available. I understand some people want that. I just hope we have the option to turn it completely off. I enjoy driving. I don't need everything else. I've had Bluetooth hands free in my last 3 vehicles and I still send my phone calls to voicemail ? leave me alone I'm driving. And get off my lawn
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think that says it all. Older people seem to not trust technology. Keep in mind when I was a teen, I had a rear speaker in my car with reverb. I was considered a King.
Amazing how some try to propagate ignorant stereotypes...

I spent my entire career in aerospace technology, half on satellites and half on aircraft. The latter designing and managing infotainment systems on both commercial and business aircraft.

Once you have had a newer vehicle with the automatic safety technology systems save you from a dumb driver in an emergency braking situation, you know to keep the technology coming, both my cars have those systems and I will never buy again without them.

I'm glad those "older people" that worked on getting us to the Moon in the 1960's did not have to listen to stupid drivel like this, because of course they did not know what technology was.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think that says it all. Older people seem to not trust technology. Keep in mind when I was a teen, I had a rear speaker in my car with reverb. I was considered a King.
Iā€™m older, and I like to use maps and stream music while driving. In my ā€˜08 that is through the phone mounted to the dash and a 3.5mm connector. Apple Car Play and Android Auto would be appreciated in my next vehicle.

I do not like basic controls on touch screen. Some things need to be switches, dials, pedals or levers. Just learned this term from my son (who is studying ergonomics): proprioception is the sixth sense of being able to reach for things and control them without looking.

But some technology seems to be in the direction of ever more controlling the car for you. ABS, traction control in daily use, and emergency stopping are all ok. The other stuff to compensate for absentmindedness, in my antiquated mind, the less you have to do, the less involved you are in what is going on, the less able you are to retake control in a situation that requires it. That is a bad thing.

Honestly, Iā€™d rather have the ability to move the old school DIN Alpine, the five channel Denon amp, The crossovers, component speakers and sub I used to have from car to car, than living with what you get today, but new technology has taken that control away.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem I have with touchscreens is one I have every day. while driving, if I watn to change the radio station, I have to look at the screen, brace my thumb against the botton of it and to stabilize my hand on our bumpy crappy roads and look and make sure that I hit the right 'button'

Whereas on my older trucks I cna just reach over and feel for the 2nd or 3rd button or whatever button for the presets and change the station.

same with the AC, or other normal functions.

I'd be more ok with the screens if they brought back normal controls as well.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I'm "older" and like @North7 I work in technology. I'm fine with screens.

And after having a rental car save my bacon twice in one trip, I'll never buy a new car without automatic braking. The safety stuff coming down the chain is awesome. I learned to drive in a lifted 79 Suburban when I was 14. This is also how I learned to back a trailer. But have you SEEN what cameras and sensors can do for trailer backing? O_O

I'm all-in on that shit.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If y'all hate touchscreens so much, then don't buy a new vehicle. Because like it or not, they're here to stay.
Amazing, only a few said they don't care for them for some functions, not y'all.

After spending years designing aircraft infotainment touchscreens, I love them, but usability is only as good as the use-case studies that went into them.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am less concerned with the size of the screen and its integration into the vehicle. I am however concerned with how well the system works and if it can be updated as new technology comes around. Case in point, my wife had a Jeep Cherokee which as an automobile was a dud but the infotainment system was top notch. Now the wife drives a Toyota Camry. As an automobile, that thing is fantastic but the infotainment is total crap. Neither vehicle gets an A grade because one or the other is not good enough. My experience with Sync is far better than Toyota's system but not quite Jeeps. Let's just say I have high hopes.

Slickrock

Wildtrak
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 06
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In this day an age.. you could argue that digital controls are better than fake electronic controls. Also easier to clean.

Several months ago I tested a Discovery Sport. There were only 3 or 4 phyisical controls, everything else was on screens on the dash, the steering wheel, and even the door.

It's the future..

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In this day an age.. you could argue that digital controls are better than fake electronic controls. Also easier to clean.

Several months ago I tested a Discovery Sport. There were only 3 or 4 phyisical controls, everything else was on screens on the dash, the steering wheel, and even the door.

It's the future..
yeah, my problem with screens vs tactile buttons is that you have to look to make sure you hit the right thing, vs buttons can be done by feel.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Amazing how some try to propagate ignorant stereotypes...

I spent my entire career in aerospace technology, half on satellites and half on aircraft. The latter designing and managing infotainment systems on both commercial and business aircraft.

Once you have had a newer vehicle with the automatic safety technology systems save you from a dumb driver in an emergency braking situation, you know to keep the technology coming, both my cars have those systems and I will never buy again without them.

I'm glad those "older people" that worked on getting us to the Moon in the 1960's did not have to listen to stupid drivel like this, because of course they did not know what technology was.
I'm guessing you didn't really understand my post? When I had the car I described was 1966, so yes that makes me one of the "older people". I still like technology though.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think most here are not actually against the infotainment system. Everyone is cautious of change. The infotainment must evolve with the rest of the vehicle. This is not a revolutionary change, its evolutionary. Am-fm > Track players>cd players>mp3>etc... this tech is to consolidate music, GPS, controls, and other things into one unit... so while some consider it complicated, it's rather simplistic. Everything works in unity, and keeps focus on the road. The fact that this one can be kept up to date is icing on the cake! Now it will not be unless in 1 year...

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yeah, my problem with screens vs tactile buttons is that you have to look to make sure you hit the right thing, vs buttons can be done by feel.
Yeah I dont have to look at any of the controls in my vehicles. I suppose if we are going with technology why not have it all voice activated. I rarely need a navigation system unless im in a semi truck. The backup camera thing is good but would be better if the screen dropped down like a visor. If it must have the safety systems fine but give me an option to turn em off. The argument about if you dont like em dont buy a new car is really f___ing terrible on a humanitarian level. Have you seen the gap in wealth that is growing in this country? Most of us are working our buts off for much lower than the national average income. Full time, sometimes 2 jobs. If a phone costs a $1000 then all that tech in every new car must cost 2 or 3 times that. At the production rate of my last job, a company that employed about 1200 and the average worker had been there for more than a decade. I would have to weld 3200 treadmills to afford that extra technology that doesnt really need to be in the car. Dont even get me started on the seats with heated butt wipers.

Sorry for ranting, its just that rich folk are exhausting in how much you want from everyone. I just with that you could buy all these things as options. Less standard equipment, less I have to work to buy a car that drives like I want. I dont care if they replace the area where a 12 inch screen sits with blank piece of plastic. I will customize it later, if I can afford to.

Also I have a gripe with the brightness of car cabins at night anymore. More light inside means more I cant see outside. Like impending doom. Anytime I used to drive fast in my maverick at night, I had a switch to turn off all interior light sources. I could see everything out on the road even with 30 year old sealed beams.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I dont have to look at any of the controls in my vehicles. I suppose if we are going with technology why not have it all voice activated. I rarely need a navigation system unless im in a semi truck. The backup camera thing is good but would be better if the screen dropped down like a visor. If it must have the safety systems fine but give me an option to turn em off. The argument about if you dont like em dont buy a new car is really f___ing terrible on a humanitarian level. Have you seen the gap in wealth that is growing in this country? Most of us are working our buts off for much lower than the national average income. Full time, sometimes 2 jobs. If a phone costs a $1000 then all that tech in every new car must cost 2 or 3 times that. At the production rate of my last job, a company that employed about 1200 and the average worker had been there for more than a decade. I would have to weld 3200 treadmills to afford that extra technology that doesnt really need to be in the car. Dont even get me started on the seats with heated butt wipers.

Sorry for ranting, its just that rich folk are exhausting in how much you want from everyone. I just with that you could buy all these things as options. Less standard equipment, less I have to work to buy a car that drives like I want. I dont care if they replace the area where a 12 inch screen sits with blank piece of plastic. I will customize it later, if I can afford to.

Also I have a gripe with the brightness of car cabins at night anymore. More light inside means more I cant see outside. Like impending doom. Anytime I used to drive fast in my maverick at night, I had a switch to turn off all interior light sources. I could see everything out on the road even with 30 year old sealed beams.
But most buyers are demanding the additional tech options, and scoff at a car without them. Units without them would sit on lots for months until the right buyer comes along. I understand you want a model with 3 buttons and nothing else, but most don't, and Ford has to cater to what will sell - they're not going to build a "optionless" trim if it's only going to sell 1,000 units for the year.

The screens have a button to turn the screen off altogether should you want to do that.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
most buyers are demanding the additional tech options, and scoff at a car without them
Its a chicken/egg conundrum. Current consumer attitudes are driven by the 'abundance' mentality America has had the past half-century. Even so, many/most are feeding that appetite with 6-year auto loans.

Just as water finds its own level, US wages are inexorably marching toward international norms. Covid will only accelerate that.
Sponsored