Sponsored

What changes you think Jeep will make to the Wrangler??

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Competition is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their toes and trying to out-do the other guys. So what changes do you think Jeep will make to the Wrangler in the near future based on what the Bronco is offering??

My two biggest things I think they will change are finally making body mounted mirrors. And making a removable panel for the rear passengers on the four door. Can't see them going IFS. But you never know,
There are a number of things that Jeep is locked into keeping, regardless of how good it is or isn't for the vehicle. The seven-slot grille, for example. I think they are stuck with a solid front axle until they see massive sales bleeding and see that their daily (not hard-core) customers are demanding it.

I think there aren't going to be many changes until the next-gen because a lot of them require too much re-design to do. I'll bet the next-gen Jeep has frameless doors and mirrors on the body. I'll bet the fold-down windshield dies. I would expect the in-car electronics to be substantially stepped-up (Jeep equivalent of GOAT modes, the cameras, trail nav, etc.). The hardcore Jeep enthusiasts will say they don't need those things, but Bronco has shown that there's a huge audience of buyers for that tech and anything else that brings people who are new to off-roading. In a nutshell, the next-gen Wrangler is going to need to be a better, more competitive daily driver.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mall crawlers don't know if they have IFS, SFA, IRS or anything else. They don't know what size tires fit, how high they can go with a lift, but they do know whether there is a powered sub in the back. If you told them the Wrangler had IFS/IRS they wouldn't know the difference. Tell them that the Rubicon model makes them an overlander that can crawl anywhere and they'll say ok.

They'll still realize they have no cargo space, poor fuel economy and the short wheel base ride is bouncy over the freeway joints. They'll be "in" until the novelty wears off, then they'll buy another Denali. on 22s.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep’s main priority needs to be powertrain. And no I don’t give a shit about the 392 it’s a novelty at best. They need a solid base engine and a solid upgrade for ~$2k like Bronco has. The 3.6 is now 9 years old without any sort of power upgrades, and also comes with the stupid 48v battery system. They need a no-nonsense 4 banger and a turbo 6.
This is #1. I currently have a Gladiator and the Pentastar V6 is nice. It is just enough power. More than my 2015 4Runner had. But I always can't help but think, what it would be like with a turbo. The engine has been refined over the years and it is solid, plus the 8 speed trans is a great combo. But it will be out classed by the Bronco V6.

As for the 8" screen, I don't see how they can make it bigger without a full dash redesign. I don't really give a crap about the screen size. It's like Megapixels on cameras. It is a marketing thing and there is a limit to what is useful. Not saying a 12" screen is bad, but it isn't necessary.

Mirrors, yes they should be relocated and designed so they can be removed. Best of both worlds.

35"s should be an option on Mojaves and Rubicons. This is the easiest thing for Jeep to do to keep up. There is no redesigning needed.

I was going to say, they should offer a Rubicon package to other models (Like the Sas), but a base Rubicon is pretty comparable to a Bronco Base + Sas. So I don't think it would change much.

Last point, I would like to see Jeep make something like a 4Runner. They have a gap between the Wrangler and the Cherokee. Right now, the Bronco and 4Runner are hitting that gap.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think at least first they're focused on what ford won't do and what they didn't offer right off the bat, which is the powertrain options a V8 and a hybrid. Other than that it'll probably be small changes here and there until the redesign it or give it a mid cycle refresh.

One thing that I wish Ford would of done in someway, was what Jeep did with the little space in the cargo area for the bolts when you take off the doors and roof. It doesn't have to be the same thing but just thinking about that and coming up with different or better solution.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Last point, I would like to see Jeep make something like a 4Runner. They have a gap between the Wrangler and the Cherokee. Right now, the Bronco and 4Runner are hitting that gap.
Jeep currently offers six different models, with many more trims (11 trims for the Grand Cherokee, eight for Cherokee, 12 Wranglers, etc.). There are close to 50 different Jeep model/trim combinations. I think there is something that is "close enough".

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep currently offers six different models, with many more trims (11 trims for the Grand Cherokee, eight for Cherokee, 12 Wranglers, etc.). There are close to 50 different Jeep model/trim combinations. I think there is something that is "close enough".
I wouldn't count trims as part of the equation. It is the same vehicle. They do have 6 vehicle types and 4 of them are similar. There is a gap between those 4 and the Wrangler. They could combine the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee into one model with trims covering the price range of the two.

Just saying, They go from gravel road capabilities, then jump to solid axles.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think they’ll continue to invest in advancing the hybrid / electric options as a differentiator, and likely come out with a new 35 inch tire trim option, and of course the hemi soon.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. I don't think Wranger needs to worry about direct showroom competition until 23 model year, just won't be enough available in 21 or 22 to matter. The buyers that they'll loose to Bronco likely would have switched anyway, and Jeep will gain a lot of customers that get excited when Broncos start landing at dealers and end up buying a jeep when they find out they can't have one.

2. SFA, I don't see Jeep ever dropping this, however, if Bronco truly makes the Wranger look awful, no reason they couldn't have IFS on Sahara and Solid on Rubicon. I don't see it happing for years though.

3. Warthog competitor, this could get interesting, I do see a war between Bronco and Wrangler coming, could be exciting, will be low volume, but great halo vehicle to sell lower trims.

4. I see them quickly matching some of the things Bronco has added, 35", frameless side windows, 12" touchscreen, cameras.

5. Now to the good stuff, area I still see a chance to gain an advantage is in the convertible features. Adding glass windows to the softtop would make me go that route, Sky Top is a good advantage now, if they can grow that to completely store the top from the drivers seat, that would be huge. I can also see changes in doors, optional summer doors that were lightweight and stowable in car, or other ideas I can't think of to make it easy and quick to remove/install the doors.

6. Stuff a hellcat motor in it, heck I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler stuck one in a minivan. That said, offering a 5.7L Hemi as a more common option, would be huge, I'd kill for V8 exhaust note even though I think a 3.0 EcoBoost would handily outperform it. I don't think it will happen though.

7. This is where I think Jeep will cement its lead, but what I see them doing is building what people want without having to go to high end models like you currently have to (jeep or ford). Dodge did really well doing this with slower moving lines. Put good wheels, 33" tires, offer the features that people want (heated steering wheel, etc) without having to buy a Rubicon or other things that aren't needed by many buyers.

8. Chrsysler Credit- This is the final stop in keeping their market share, Chrysler goes nuts on long term financing and I've lost a lot of deals to Ram over crazy long terms that Ford doesn't offer, not just with 0%, but even at profitable rates, just terms that Ford doesn't do. Often is very bad for the consumer, but puts buts in seats, and if done without subvened APR, does it without hurting profits (short term, takes these buyers out of the market long term)

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I read an article about 2016-2017, a link from allpar.com, that Mike Manley said he would not put IFS in the JL due to a possible fan rebellion. Some stories at that time said some Jeep engineers were working on it. Within the last month or so someone posted here about that work, @Nickp do you remember the post?

If they have already completed or nearly completed the IFS Engineering they may dust that off and put put it on some trims or make it an option. The Rubicon and Sport could stay SFA for the diehards.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Umm, I really don’t think they will change much. Between the 392, and the 4xe, there is still lots of excitement over in the Jeep camp.

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Competition is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their toes and trying to out-do the other guys. So what changes do you think Jeep will make to the Wrangler in the near future based on what the Bronco is offering??

My two biggest things I think they will change are finally making body mounted mirrors. And making a removable panel for the rear passengers on the four door. Can't see them going IFS. But you never know,
Based on Jeeps rebuttal about Ford's body-mount mirrors (about how some people want the mirrors off on narrow off-road trails), I think you are right.

But I think they will try to one-up Ford with modular multi-location mirrors or door-mount mirrors that double as the kind people buy after market for their Jeeps, the ones that slip into the empty hinges.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As Jeep becomes more Italian, anything can happen.
MORE Italian?
I thought it was becoming LESS Italian?

Didn't Fiat just get bought by a partially-Chinese-owed French company???

I can't keep it straight anymore.🤪

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wouldn't count trims as part of the equation. It is the same vehicle. They do have 6 vehicle types and 4 of them are similar. There is a gap between those 4 and the Wrangler. They could combine the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee into one model with trims covering the price range of the two.

Just saying, They go from gravel road capabilities, then jump to solid axles.
When the Renegade first came out, I really thought Jeep meant for it to be like a mini 4Runner, but most of the ones on the dealer lots are the 2wd low ground clearance ones and cute, but not worth taking off-road.

I wonder if Jeep will start trying to beef up the Renegade to compete with the new Baby Bronco. 🤔

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think Jeep should improve door removal...
Sponsored