Sponsored

Why is everyone hellbent on infotainment specs?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think that says it all. Older people seem to not trust technology. Keep in mind when I was a teen, I had a rear speaker in my car with reverb. I was considered a King.
Bronc-o, I am not going to admit that I know exactly what you're talking about. ;):)
Sponsored

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone curious about the infotainment system that will be on the Bronco can look at the 2021 f150 for an exact drop in system. Both 8"and 12" screens, no option for anything else. Digital dash with another 12" screen (love this). The climate and media buttons also appear to be direct from the new f150, so I'm assuming the steering wheel controls will be also.

Personally this has me stoked. I really hope they integrate a generator and the sleeper seats also (would have preferred a sleeper bench seat though) into the bronco also. Beautifully made as the perfect do all exploration vehicle.

2021-ford-f-150-209-1593013614.jpg

2021-ford-f-150-3.jpg

2021-ford-f-150.jpg
I really hope you can change how the RPM's are displayed. I'd prefer it show the actual rpm.

Ex. 750 at idle vs 0.7

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did not read thread so if covered, I apologize. It had better be waterproof no matter what size/kind it is. This WILL be a deal breaker if Ford has not planned for those of us who drive topless/doorless through all weather. For the past 20 years I have never had a water induced permanent issue with my JP's. And B4 you ask, they have been daily drivers and do not get parked in the rain/snow (I do close them/her up on or about Halloween though).

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0...rd-f-150-display-and-infotainment-looks-like/

This looks awesome tbh. Most interesting quotes:
The move away from a skeuomorphic UI required some testing with Ford's truck customers, Sich told Ars. "What we discovered was that, as long as the information is presented in a real, digestible, understandable, hierarchical way, they were willing to really take that leap of faith."

"In terms of just how information is represented for the driver, I think we're quickly coming to this inflection point of, 'Do we need to still be founded in tradition and legacy of what we're looking at in terms of representing analog gauges now with pixels?'" said Peter Ruthenberg, chief designer of digital experience at Ford.
"I think for the F-150 customer, through human-centered design process and a lot of iterative research here, we found that this generation at least of F-150 customers weren't ready for a big leap toward something that walks away from physical gauges," Ruthenberg said when Ars spoke with the Ford designers recently. "These types of gauges still resonated with them, they felt information-forward. But potentially down the road for future products, we might want to take greater leaps of faith. I think right now we're kind of in this bridged territory between analog and digital and what that means."

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If we get something like that, sign me up. I've never had a vehicle with a touch screen anything or cool gauges. Hell, I've driven my current STI for years and have only turned on the radio once to see how it sounded.

Like ass, by the way.

I'll have to get used to some of the auto safety stuff. I don't even have traction control right now.

Sponsored

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If we get something like that, sign me up. I've never had a vehicle with a touch screen anything or cool gauges. Hell, I've driven my current STI for years and have only turned on the radio once to see how it sounded.

Like ass, by the way.

I'll have to get used to some of the auto safety stuff. I don't even have traction control right now.

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only tech I want is EFI. I also take lockable diffs. Dont want air suspension etc. I would prefer not to. have ABS or any electronic safety nannies on my vehicles. No traction control. No nothing. Anyone who has ever spun a vehicle with ABS can you tell you why ABS sucks. And offroad and in snow dont need any nannies thank you. If forced to have ABS I wont the ability to turn it off. Only other tech Sirius radio.

Dave Apker

Deadfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350, 2007 HD Road King, 2013 370Z
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I miss my 2007 F350 with the climate controls on the steering wheel.
I love the steering wheel climate controls on my 2006 F350... I don't have a screen on any of my vehicles. Well, except my girl's jeep. So I guess the statement is still true Lol

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
One of the reasons is you can tell when a company has cheaped out on it. I have a 2018 Mazda6 its a great commuter car. They stepped up in everything, materials, it's quiet, engine etc and the car was damn near fully loaded for a very fair price.

Mazda cheaped out on the infotainment screen/system. It can be glitchy, it freezes, the display sometimes just turns off and restarts and sometimes doesn't connect to Sirius. It is pretty obvious that this is where they cut corners to save money. Is it a deal breaker no, but it can be very annoying

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have zero desire to "stare at a screen" in my vehicle, but having something with Apple CarPlay is 100% essential to me now. I want my navigation, I want my podcasts, I want my music. And I want it seamlessly-integrated. I don't want to have to mess with my phone to get to all of it.

Fortunately CarPlay/Android Auto have nearly reached the point of ubiquity on new vehicles today. I'll never buy another new vehicle without it, and if I buy a used vehicle (like my '13 VW), I'll put in an aftermarket HU to get it.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mazda cheaped out on the infotainment screen/system. It can be glitchy, it freezes, the display sometimes just turns off and restarts and sometimes doesn't connect to Sirius. It is pretty obvious that this is where they cut corners to save money. Is it a deal breaker no, but it can be very annoying
I think this is less a matter of "cheaping out" and more a matter of auto manufacturers utterly sucking at infotainment software.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing in life is waterproof, I wouldn't worry about it too much there is a level of water resistance. Just dont put a hose directly onto the dash ok? lets use logic lol

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All new cars have infotainment systems, so if you have to have it you might as well have a good one with a nice size screen and no lag.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not trying to be rude to those that really care about this, just trying to understand why there is such emphasis on vehicle infotainment recently

I frequently hear things like "Brand X is really dropping that ball since they haven't included Apple Car Play", "The screen on model Y is too small", " I really like Ford's Sync Z", etc. I'm one of the younger guys here and my two vehicles are from 1988 and 1994. Why all the focus on infotainment? Do you really a screen to stare at during every stage of your day?

Please enlighten me.
Lincoln added Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to the MKZ in 2017. I have a 2015. I use Google Maps on my phone next it is light years better than the built-in navigation in whatever version of Syncy car has.

I've used Android Auto in my mom's newer Escape and it is incredibly convenient vs using my phone. The improvement offered over the factory features is just incredible.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Remember 20 years ago when you used to be able to pick half settings between blend combos in the heating/AC?? (say the setting between feet and feet/vents, sent more air to feet than vent, not equal amounts of air). Not sure why this feature died with electronic pushbutton/screen, heating/AC controls.

s-l1600.jpg
Sponsored