Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay. I know the 4-banger is never going to sound great. But anyone care to take a stab at describing the engine note for me? I’m about convinced to go 2.3 MT in my Badlands to get the 4.7 gear
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay. I know the 4-banger is never going to sound great. But anyone care to take a stab at describing the engine note for me? I’m about convinced to go 2.3 MT in my Badlands to get the 4.7 gear
Actually I think the i4 will sound better than the V6 with an exhaust upgrade.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Research the Ranger 5g forum on our sister site.
Firstly , the Ranger tune only recommends up to 32” tires , hopefully the Bronco tune adjusts for larger.
More importantly there now seems to be lawsuits against Ford due to the fact that after they sold the tunes they later disclosed that towing with a tune would void the warranty.
The Ford tune that comes with warranty adds around 45hp to the Rangers for a cost of around $800 but I’m still skeptical to the stress that it’s placing on the I4.
Steve, it seems you saw the post that one guy one guy that just wants to whine, and be heard. I really don't think that lawsuit will be going anywhere. He wants to put the onus on Ford, but there is also the a buyers responsibility to understand what the are buying that will be working against him. But, it is true that Ford does not recommend towing with their performance tune. Note it says "does not recommend". What ever that caveat means is anyone's guess.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Ranger has very little if any noticeable exhaust note. All the noise comes from the engine itself. I would guess the Bronco will be the same. I think we all know it's quite difficult to get a good exhaust note from a 4, or 6 cylinder engine. Unless we're talking about Ferrari of course. :)

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Ranger has very little if any noticeable exhaust note. All the noise comes from the engine itself. I would guess the Bronco will be the same. I think we all know it's quite difficult to get a good exhaust note from a 4, or 6 cylinder engine. Unless we're talking about Ferrari of course. :)
I dunno man, here's some amazing sounding 4's:
Honda S2000
Fiat 500 Abarth
Porsche Cayman (new)

and the list for amazing 6's is just about endless:
VR6 (best sounding 6 ever created, but that's just my opinion)
2JZ
S55 (F80 M3)
any turbo 911
even the Nissan GT-R sounds good.

anyways, off-topic post is off topic, it's all opinion anyways :)

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered my 2.3 BD 4 door, Sas...I’ve done a little reading up on the 2.3 ecoboost oem tune available for Ranger... it will give you a few extra ponies and more torque, covered under warranty ..I think it’s around $800. I’m not sure if it’s immediately available, or if it’s on accessories list yet. If it is I didn’t see it
sure I could go with the 2.7 but I’d prefer to take deliver sooner than later..
Thoughts??
Since you mention you could go with the 2.7, it seems that you are getting the automatic transmission either way. So the only extra cost for the 2.7 would be the $1800.

At $800 (with tax and shipping, lets call it $850 to make it easy to compare), you are almost half way to the 2.7. After the tune, you are forced into 91 or higher Octane. Average miles per year 17000, combined mileage probably around 17 MPG mixed, so 1000 gallons of fuel.

Nationally $0.55 higher prices for premium vs. 87 (which the 2.7 will happily run on), means an extra $550 a year on fuel for the tuned 2.3. After a year and a half, you are even on money and still have the 2.3 instead of the 2.7. Even if the 2.7 gets worse mileage by 20% (and it won't) you would be even before 2 years was up. So after two years, your tuned 2.3 (which is making less power then the 2.7 on regular fuel) is costing you more in total (initial cost plus tune, plus operating costs) and it gets worse every mile you drive.

It gets worse if you sell it actually, as you will recoup some of the 2.7 costs there over 2.3.

I suppose for a very few people who are going to sell within a year, or for those forced into the 2.3 (manual folks), a tune would make sense, but for the majority, not so much.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do a High Flow Cat, it'll sound deeper and slightly raspy

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know the old saying right?
"Do you know why turbos have lag? It's so that people with v8's think they have a chance."
Even the V8s are jumping on the Turbo/supercharger bandwagon. Everything has forced induction these days

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dunno man, here's some amazing sounding 4's:
Honda S2000
Fiat 500 Abarth
Porsche Cayman (new)

and the list for amazing 6's is just about endless:
VR6 (best sounding 6 ever created, but that's just my opinion)
2JZ
S55 (F80 M3)
any turbo 911
even the Nissan GT-R sounds good.

anyways, off-topic post is off topic, it's all opinion anyways :)
always liked the boxer rumble of my Subaru EJs and the Nissan Vq35 from the Z. But I like a nice v8 too. Drove a Shelby GT350 recently and just starting that car made me giddy.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

always liked the boxer rumble of my Subaru EJs and the Nissan Vq35 from the Z. But I like a nice v8 too. Drove a Shelby GT350 recently and just starting that car made me giddy.
yeah, wasn't sure about putting any subie's in there, they can sound good, but they're just as capable of sounding pretty bad too. Mostly depends on what flavor of vape the owner has...

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If it is like the Ranger one, it is a 93 octane tune, and recommends against towing.

Sounds cool, and I would do it on a Mustang. But may not be so practical for a Bronco.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

i am getting the 2.7 power pack you can never have enough torque.

4everbored

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are really going to spend 800.00 for a tune. Get the 2.7 if getting auto. If you are getting manual, it will be fine. Just keep the tune in your back pocket if you change something up and need the extra power. Waiting wouldnt be the issue for the right set up for You.
2 door badland, 2.3 w manual. I wont need it. My heavy v6 jku has been everywhere i want to be. I do pull over for the motorcycles and sports cars while going up mountains though. Whats the hurry, enjoy the view. Flats, no problem.

Btw. The 2.3 will outperform the v6 jk, jl.

Nice knowing there will be another badlands 2 door manual out in the wild

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since you mention you could go with the 2.7, it seems that you are getting the automatic transmission either way. So the only extra cost for the 2.7 would be the $1800.

At $800 (with tax and shipping, lets call it $850 to make it easy to compare), you are almost half way to the 2.7. After the tune, you are forced into 91 or higher Octane. Average miles per year 17000, combined mileage probably around 17 MPG mixed, so 1000 gallons of fuel.

Nationally $0.55 higher prices for premium vs. 87 (which the 2.7 will happily run on), means an extra $550 a year on fuel for the tuned 2.3. After a year and a half, you are even on money and still have the 2.3 instead of the 2.7. Even if the 2.7 gets worse mileage by 20% (and it won't) you would be even before 2 years was up. So after two years, your tuned 2.3 (which is making less power then the 2.7 on regular fuel) is costing you more in total (initial cost plus tune, plus operating costs) and it gets worse every mile you drive.

It gets worse if you sell it actually, as you will recoup some of the 2.7 costs there over 2.3.

I suppose for a very few people who are going to sell within a year, or for those forced into the 2.3 (manual folks), a tune would make sense, but for the majority, not so much.
Great post. Well laid out argument for the 2.7L/auto combo vs. 2.3L/auto.
Sponsored