Sponsored

Base 16X7 steel wheels, what tires are you mounting on them?

jaiuppa

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr CG Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those that are sticking with the steelies on the base, what tires are you going with and why? I personally dig the look of the steelies when I see them out and about on Rangers. I have decided I will likely keep them at first but need some tire inspiration. I like the idea of 285/75/16 but know they are a bit wide for 7" rim.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
GatewayBuckshotMuddersBiasPly-1.jpg

These come in 33x10-16 i think

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like these, seems like an interesting option. Who makes this tire?
It used to be Buckshot Mudders. Now Buckshot has moved to a cheaper chinese tire the Buckshot II but these are still available as a classic tire called Gateway Buckshot Mudder. Not sure where they are made, but they are narrow and bias ply. So basically the will dig dig.

I was mistaken they are actually 32x8.50-16 pretty much perfect on a stock steel wheel.

P78X16C (32X8.50X16) Buckshot Mudder Bias Ply BWS - Gateway Tire - National Tire & Wheel (ntwonline.com)

96ExplorerSport

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Following this thread. I love the Base steelies too! So timeless. But bigger tires would look more rugged.

I am new to this. How do you all plan to swap the tires out? At the dealer or elsewhere? I live in an urban environment, no garage workspace so I can't do it myself and have no place to store the takeoffs. Would whoever swaps the tires (delaer or a shop like Mavis?) normally buy the takeoffs back from me to decrease my cost?

Bronco55

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion, 2007 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those that are sticking with the steelies on the base, what tires are you going with and why? I personally dig the look of the steelies when I see them out and about on Rangers. I have decided I will likely keep them at first but need some tire inspiration. I like the idea of 285/75/16 but know they are a bit wide for 7" rim.
I am also planning this same size. Spoke to my dealer when I ordered, going to try to get them to mount and balance the new tires for free when my Bronco comes in

OP
OP
jaiuppa

jaiuppa

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr CG Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Following this thread. I love the Base steelies too! So timeless. But bigger tires would look more rugged.

I am new to this. How do you all plan to swap the tires out? At the dealer or elsewhere? I live in an urban environment, no garage workspace so I can't do it myself and have no place to store the takeoffs. Would whoever swaps the tires (delaer or a shop like Mavis?) normally buy the takeoffs back from me to decrease my cost?
The takeoffs will have some resale value (retail ~$700, so used a few hundred less than that), it would depend on the shop and who's around if someone was willing to give you a decent price for them. I will likely shop the best deal for the tires and get them mounted/balanced somewhere that rotates for life, most shops do. The dealer probably wont be the best price but maybe the most convenient and with rebates maybe the dealer would be a good deal for the tires.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaiuppa

jaiuppa

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr CG Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am also planning this same size. Spoke to my dealer when I ordered, going to try to get them to mount and balance the new tires for free when my Bronco comes in
yeah, 285/75/16 will be nice and meaty on these wheels, definitely improve the base looks big time

96ExplorerSport

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The takeoffs will have some resale value (retail ~$700, so used a few hundred less than that), it would depend on the shop and who's around if someone was willing to give you a decent price for them. I will likely shop the best deal for the tires and get them mounted/balanced somewhere that rotates for life, most shops do. The dealer probably wont be the best price but maybe the most convenient and with rebates maybe the dealer would be a good deal for the tires.
Thanks for this info. Would a regular tire shop also make any required speedometer adjustments?
I'm buying the Bronco from a dealer 120+ miles from home, so I'm debating whether the convenience of having everything taken care of before I leave the lot might outweigh the ongoing benefit of handling this locally.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most likely going 265/75 R16 on them if I end up keeping them at all. Currently leaning towards Toyo OC AT3. But also a good chance I'll just pull them off and sell them.

I doubt any reputable tire shops will mount the 285's on these rims, and also doubt they won't rub without a level kit.

lindertw

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm planning on 235/85R16 Cooper AT3's, and I'll potentially paint the base model steelies black.

Ford Bronco Base 16X7 steel wheels, what tires are you mounting on them? cooper_AT3

Bronco55

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion, 2007 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm planning on 235/85R16 Cooper AT3's, and I'll potentially paint the base model steelies black.

Ford Bronco Base 16X7 steel wheels, what tires are you mounting on them? cooper_AT3
doing the same thing, probably 285/75/r16 though. I thought about getting new wheels but while looking realized I like black steelies, so figured why not save some dough and just paint the factory steelies black.

Thinking about using plasti dip or regular black wheel paint? What do you think will look the best/last the longest
Sponsored