Sponsored

Who else is caught in the in-between vehicles lurch?

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NGL, this winter's cold snap in the Midwest burned up a fair amount of my reserves for patience daily driving a V8 RWD sports car. It's also not a real great option to go too far off-road and I'd like to get some camping in this season. With the my Bronco delivery somewhere between six months to a year or so away I've been seriously considering picking up something to cover the in-between gap. It's unusual for me to even shop for short term options as I've kept pretty much every vehicle I've owned 5+ years.

Kind of leaning towards a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk or Wrangler that's a few years old to not take a huge hit on depreciation. I'd prefer not to sacrifice any more equity I have from trading in the Camaro than I have to. I have a few other options in mind and would surely be open to more.
Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I too and am wanting something new due to my mid 22 delivery. I keep looking at high end sports cars but their valuations have gone crazy in the last 2-3 months. So I don’t want to pay when they are at an all time artifice high and get burned if I were to sell it 18 months from now. The 911 GT3 touring is the craziest example. 3 months ago you’ll pick up a used one for MSRP to 10K over MSRP. In the last 3 weeks I have seen multiple dealers marking them up 20-30%. I saw one with a MSRP get listed for MSRP + 70K. The scary thing is many times these crazy markups are selling in hours. The Game Stop phenomen.

It will correct but with supply on the new and used market so scarce people are just throwing common sense to the wind. I think many are just so sick of covid they want a new distraction and are willing to pay whatever.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have thought about selling my M4 now to get the most value from it, and to avoid possible expenses that come with owning one that needs repair. Could drive around a cheap car for a bit or maybe even go one-car-family for a bit since my wife is fulltime work from home.

At this time I have not looked into it too much though. Maybe I will once May rolls around and I get a better idea of when I will have the Bronco.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you're just bridging a gap, look for vehicles that hold their value well. Toyota seems to lead the way here with their lineup of 4x4s.

Toyota Tacoma / FJ Cruiser / 4-Runner / Tundra

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Used prices seem really steep right now. I am actually going to turn in my lease and ride my motorcycle for a few months. By the time you pay tax, title, insurance and potentially get stuck with repair costs, it's not worth it for me. I will have access to my wife's Explorer, so not totally without a car :) I have a mountain bike too, just in case!!!!

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hesitantly sold my 2011 STi last month but still have a Camry Hybrid daily. My Basemansquatch is probably 18 months away and Im gonna have a tough time waiting. Been looking at used GT350s, M2s, M3s, M4s and new WRx STis. Bronco is the only 4x4 I‘m interested in.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm not stuck in between vehicles, but the one I plan on getting rid of will need new tires now due to the delays. I plan to sell just prior to delivery. That's $1k. 😠

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My issue is my patience. I have a sizeable down payment already with another $8K bump coming in May after I sell a few more treasure coins. I'm not expecting the Bronco delivery until late spring '22 or summer. I don't need another vehicle as my liberty only has 90K miles, but there are some attractive offers on Rangers right now. I'm tempted to pick one up and give it a go for the time-being. If I don't love it, then I'll trade it in for the Bronco. If I do love it, then the Bronco can park alongside.

OP
OP
lobbs611

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not stuck in between vehicles, but the one I plan on getting rid of will need new tires now due to the delays. I plan to sell just prior to delivery. That's $1k. 😠
Same here. I'm looking at tires, brake pads and rotors before I expect the Bronco to arrive. That's $1500-2000 if I do the brakes again myself.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My F150 was having issues and to fix would end being about a third of its projected value. So I ended up trading it and throwing some cash in an bought a car for my daughter. It's a 2010 Ford Fusion with 172k on it. I've already driven it from Cincinnati to Charleston, SC and back and it did fine. By the time she gets her license in October, I'll hopefully be close to getting my Bronco. Otherwise, I may have to buy a better pickup!

Sponsored

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Need a Bronco to replace my corvette, since I can't get in and out of it like I used to.
But the wait is killing me. I want something by this summer. So I might get a Jeep now. Drive it until August and then decide whether or not to order a 22 Bronco.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think about this as well. Adding miles to my "trade in" or what would happen if some idiot Rams into be because they're an idiot driver.

Totalled or not, the accident would cause a hit to my value along with mileage as the months roll on.

But Everytime I think about doing a temp gap vehicle, it seems like the depreciation, no matter how little, would be more than the added mileage on my current car.

Of course this doesn't help with the accident scenario.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
With an X month gap between the end of lease for my current daily driver, and Bronco delivery date, i'm looking for something to span that gap as I won't drive classic cars in the wet up here (which is a lot of the time) due to how the "average" person drives their modern vehicle up here. Just no comprehension or consideration to an older vehicle with longer stopping distances.

So that being said, i've started to look for something obscure and fun to import and bridge that gap. I'm thinking something that's designed for the wrong side of the road, only a little faster than walking and will be only slightly younger than I am. Drastically less than 100 hp and curb weight under 1,800 lbs. You know, to spice things up and make the Bronco feel like a space-age rocket ship once it arrives.

Overall, cars are cars and you only live once. If you're into vehicles, then go get what you want, used car prices are going to stay unreasonably high until manufacturing is back at capacity which could very well be a few years considering the chip shortages, corona, and market forces.

Last edited:

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I jumped the gun and sold my ST a little early, anticipating the Bronco, and have since been driving my daughter's old Volvo Xc90.... the Bronco can't come soon enough lol

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I jumped the gun and sold my ST a little early, anticipating the Bronco, and have since been driving my daughter's old Volvo Xc90.... the Bronco can't come soon enough lol
Sure beats the Volvo 850 skedan I had to drive for 6 months while building a short-track/street B18c5R for an EF Civic Hatchback. 12,500 rpm never sounded so cheap!

Sadly that Volvo not only lost in a drag race to an Aston Martin while racing on Microsoft's main campus, but it decided to lose the race by immolating itself when the turbo oil return line split, igniting the oil on the manifold.

Hopefully your Volvo experience is going better. Just remember their corporate motto: Volvo; cars for people who don't like cars
Sponsored