Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm sitting at a pep boys right now with an hour-long wait, to get my oil changed. I know with the Bronco, I want to change my own oil

For those of you planning to change your own Bronco's oil, do you plan to just slide under there and figure it out yourself? Or will you let the techs do it first and pick it up from there on after?

I don't imagine the Bronco being too different than say, a Ranger. But this is coming from someone who has never changed oil before a day in his life

Be gentle... my dad didn't teach me these things 😇
Sponsored

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sitting at a pep boys right now with an hour-long wait, to get my oil changed. I know with the Bronco, I want to change my own oil

For those of you planning to change your own Bronco's oil, do you plan to just slide under there and figure it out yourself? Or will you let the techs do it first and pick it up from there on after?

I don't imagine the Bronco being too different than say, a Ranger. But this is coming from someone who has never changed oil before a day in his life

Firstly, I admire your initiative to change your own oil and filter on the Bronco. Wish my son had the same mentality/drive. This along with replacing cabin and engine air filters are the easiest DIY maintenance tasks to tackle in an automobile/truck. If you have the time, certainly do them. Youtube has a plethora of videos on how to change oil for almost any model of vehicle. Changing oil and filter on the bronco should be fairly straight forward.

RescueCheckPT2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD, MH-65D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ain’t no shame in that game. Mad respect for you wanting to learn how to do it. I’ve always done all my own maintenance (except alignments/tire mounting) and can say I’ve saved myself thousands as well as enjoyed the sense of accomplishment in fixing issues.

Personally, I plan on doing my own work from the get go. And for those who aren’t sure how to start, YouTube is a great resource for basic maintenance if you don’t have a friend with a garage/skill set to learn from.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hardest part, by far, is finding containers to store, transport, and find a legal place to dispose of the used oil (always seems to be extra oil in the pan from a lawnmower or something that won't go back in the empty new oil jug.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree that doing all of your own service is rewarding. However, fluids are a PITA. Not because they are difficult but because you need to dispose of the used stuff. Yes, if a store sells oil and filters they are required by law to take the used stuff back. Not all of them do. Also, you need to transport the fluids and that can be very messy. Those 2 items are why I will have an independent shop do my oil.

Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do all my oil changes myself. Because I always want to use my oil and my filter w/o anyone giving me crap. And I don't have to wait for over an hour and getting it serviced. Plus its more satisfying

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

changing the oil is easy, and 100% a good step into getting comfortable working on your own car.

*however*, on a new car, I typically throw them at the dealer and make them do the first couple so they have no room to bitch about warranty. only tricky part being forcing them to do the first one at 1500ish miles, vs waiting 5-10k for it.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good on you👍as long as you have a comfy place to do it you will be fine not hard just messy sometimes.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've read somewhere in these pages that one thing to be cautious of is the oil plug on the Bronco. The pan is plastic as are the threads and can easily be messed up/cross threaded.

Apparently, there is a better plug you can buy for the pan that will help protect against this. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong....

good luck and good on ya' for being willing to give it a shot. ( rule one, don't forget to fill it back up with oil after draining it....;)

as an aside- what oil do you guys like to run? I usually run a blend, but have never had an injected engine before...?

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think you guys are making storing, transporting, and disposing of used oil into a bigger deal than it is.

Get ya one of these plastic 5-6 gallon jugs. If you've got a local carwash, see if they've got any they want to get rid of. These are big enough for multiple oil changes and seal up tight. (Or only one if you've got a diesel 🙄)

My borough landfill takes used oil free of charge, maybe yours will too. It would be worth checking. Maybe you have to pay a small fee. No big deal.

I will ALWAYS change my own oil. I have to know it was done right, with the right oil, and isn't going to leak, or find a big oily mess in my engine bay. Even on my stupid RS that's too low to fit under, too low to go up any standard auto ramp, and has a stupid undertray blocking access to anything 😒

TightHead_White.png

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me, its just so cheap having them do it. I am not saving very much by the time I go pick up oil and a filter, change the oil, then call around to see who is taking oil, and finally driving the oil to said place. I literally have used oil sitting in my container now because the place that always takes it had a contamination issue. Its also nice during warranty issues when the dealer sees that they are the ones doing maintenance on the vehicle.

Escape Hatch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 GTI, 19 Atlas SE w/ tech R Line V6 4 motion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Easy peasy, use an extractor through the dip stick. I have done this with the top filter on my GTI as well as my daughter's beetle. Easy, clean, and fast.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Easy peasy, use an extractor through the dip stick. I have done this with the top filter on my GTI as well as my daughter's beetle. Easy, clean, and fast.
Ugh I miss being able to do that on my GTI. Ford likes to put their oil filters in really stupid locations where you get the pleasure of crawling under the vehicle and removing panels to access them.
Sponsored