indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some people like to call this a "tin foil hat" concern. But in the news today, golfer Tiger Woods was recently in a crash, and looks like the authorities are wanting to look at what they are calling the vehicle "black box". (Article link below.)

Specifically the authorities mention using the black box to "determine if criminal charges were necessary". Currently there are no criminal charges, but imagine if your vehicle rats you out and they up the charges. Cold!

Possibly the extent to which the new Bronco might rat out the owner, would depend on the number of sensors and automated functions on the various versions.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sherif...rmine-if-a-crime-was-committed-033336250.html
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Some people like to call this a "tin foil hat" concern. But in the news today, golfer Tiger Woods was recently in a crash, and looks like the authorities are wanting to look at what they are calling the vehicle "black box". (Article link below.)

Specifically the authorities mention using the black box to "determine if criminal charges were necessary". Currently there are no criminal charges, but imagine if your vehicle rats you out and they up the charges. Cold!

Possibly the extent to which the new Bronco might rat out the owner, would depend on the number of sensors and automated functions on the various versions.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sherif...rmine-if-a-crime-was-committed-033336250.html
my BMW reports back things like service info and funnels it to the dealer so they can try to sell me oil changes. it's mildly annoying, but if it really bothered me all that much, I'd just go into the trunk and pull out the SIm card and call it done.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s disturbing. I already get ads on mobile browsers for things I never searched for or even typed in the phone, only spoke about. Don’t need my car storing data on me too.

There will be folks coming in to this thread saying we already have such a large digital footprint that it doesn’t matter if our vehicles track us, but I’d rather have as few additional devices tracking me as possible.

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

just don't do shady shit. ;)

OP
OP
indio22

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
my BMW reports back things like service info and funnels it to the dealer so they can try to sell me oil changes. it's mildly annoying, but if it really bothered me all that much, I'd just go into the trunk and pull out the SIm card and call it done.
I've mostly driven older vehicles, and so am less familiar with the data collected by new models. My understanding is, a base level of information is typically collected, possibly mandated by regulations. Not all of which is stored longer term. And then on top of that, vehicle makers can implement additional data collection, which as you mention might not stay only in the vehicle.

It sounds like at least the sheriffs dept had to get a search warrant to view the black box. But I'd say in general, once data is collected, there will be the temptation by authorities to evaluate that data. Which may or may not help the vehicle driver - depending on the situation.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m fairly certain that the SRS/ Airbag module will cache a certain amount of data, that is accessible by government officials and accident investigators. Probably certain info like speed, steering angle, throttle/brake position, but maybe even so far as buttons being pushed on the dash or infotainment etc. I’ve spent years in the automotive networking profession but have not gotten into the SRS data.

I have not seen or heard of, ever, a ‘black box’ ECU. I think it’s just an aviation term that made it into the automotive space.

EDIT quick Duck Duck Go search (yeah yeah, I may have a tin foil hat too) returns this site— good info. Let’s do some homework.

https://crashresponse.com/services/airbag-control-module-download-and-analysis/

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What always bugged me about the little black boxes that companies like state farm offered was that they weren't really smart enough to differentiate good habits from bad ones.

Example: let's say I'm driving along and someone cuts me off abruptly, and i have to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. those high G forces get recorded, and are treated the same as the high G forces that come with doing burnouts off the line and hard cornering.
That, and good driving is definitely subjective. if the box sees that I'm driving 63 mph on the freeway, it might deem that I'm a good safe driver. but if I'm driving 63 mph in the fast lane on the interstate, forcing people to pass me on the right, i am 100000% a road hazard and not driving in a safe manner.

Someone else already hit the nail on the head in this thread tho, I really don't think that all the black box talk is for government spy programs or for insurance to screw me over somehow. it's all so that companies can find yet another thing to try to sell me. *sigh*

Sponsored

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want access to The Matrix, The Matrix will have access to you.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The concern isn't necessarily Tin Foil Hat, however, there are some facts missing from the story here.

If it is "your" car, then your data is private to you since it's part of your property. Insurance companies are actually more of your concern than police here, since they could theoretically deny your claim and call you negligent for using your cell phone. Like how you're always posting those semi nudes while driving on your Instagram, Indio22; this is why I stopped following you. :ROFLMAO:

In Tiger's case, it wasn't his car, it was a loaner from the golf tourney, so no privacy and no need for a warrant to secure his "data". Even if it were his car, there is probable cause that would be even more so if he would have caused an accident and injured someone.

My point, if you do something that leads to a tragedy, yes, you are likely to pay a price. Think about how a DUI uses your breath or blood against you, but you must consent unless arrested, but they can get your "data", so this is nothing new, only different. Traffic cameras, etc do the exact same thing.

Last edited:

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What always bugged me about the little black boxes that companies like state farm offered was that they weren't really smart enough to differentiate good habits from bad ones.

Example: let's say I'm driving along and someone cuts me off abruptly, and i have to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. those high G forces get recorded, and are treated the same as the high G forces that come with doing burnouts off the line and hard cornering.
That, and good driving is definitely subjective. if the box sees that I'm driving 63 mph on the freeway, it might deem that I'm a good safe driver. but if I'm driving 63 mph in the fast lane on the interstate, forcing people to pass me on the right, i am 100000% a road hazard and not driving in a safe manner.

Someone else already hit the nail on the head in this thread tho, I really don't think that all the black box talk is for government spy programs or for insurance to screw me over somehow. it's all so that companies can find yet another thing to try to sell me. *sigh*
oh but their AI programs that process the data are soooo superior 😒

All jokes aside, you’re right. It’s like saying I can solve for c in the equation a+b=c.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They send police to classes on what 411 they can get out of a vehicle during an investigation from the electronics. Takes a search warrant on private vehicle.
Sponsored