Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is not the black box that is the problem, it is who can access the data and what legal protections apply. For instance, you are sitting at a stop light, get lightly rear ended by a drunk. They pull your data because you were involved in a felony accident. Is the data from two hours before pertinent to the case? Likely not, but now the State and whomever they share/sell data know where you have been driving for the last few hours or weeks. All without a warrant to track you. I personally would rather give up the ability to use such evidence in court (or evidence gained using that data to get a warrant) to preserve civil liberties. BTW, if folks don't know, the information you give your DMV is sold by the individual States to just about anyone that wants a list of names and associated addresses.
It was my understanding (ex-LEO) that Black Box data was only stored for 20 seconds prior to and after a triggering event. See the linked information.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech.../26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/
Sponsored

Fedexman1978

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I'm still trying to figure out tho... Is my search history will show on my wife's apps. She'll be like, you were looking up tires today huh. So I'm not sure how that's happening. I've tried looking, and she's not signed in on any of my accounts. But we do share a pixel book. But with each our own accounts. Unless the pixel book shares it's cookie repository? But I figured that'd be separate.

I look at it as an easy way for me to drop hints of what I want for my birthday or Christmas. :LOL:
I read titties instead of tires and thought oh, boy! This guy is gonna get it! 😁

received_3735923283164913.gif

Sand70

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know if it is attached to the "black box", but most new cars can call 911 if you get in an accident and are unable to call. They even give the dispatcher longitude and latitude. The way I look at it is don't do anything wrong and they won't look.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why can some governors demand mask usage, and an hour later be caught eating at a “closed” restaurant?

As someone said, who determines what is “shady shit?”

”Shady shit” changes daily, it all depends what narritive is being normalized. Just wait until “they” tell you WHAT you can drive, and WHERE you may go. How is your social score?

I’m guessing some here have never been to visit China....don’t worry, authoritarianism is visiting you now....you just don’t realize it.
Not China. But I have been to Singapore. Which is about as authoritarian as it gets.

Now, do I agree with everything they're doing? Not even the slightest. I would say they're pretty much oppressed. But man, was the city beautiful. No trash, abandoned buildings, etc... anywhere. And I've never felt that safe visiting a foreign county as I did there. However, in the same breath, not realizing it, I 'smuggled' gum in, and was chewing on some, when someone told me I better get rid of that before I get caught. (it's illegal there) So there's that. But truth be told, you didn't see old gum stuck anywhere! haha

Also, let's be serious. If you're looking up to ANY political leader in this country. That's your first problem. I don't care what side you're on. None of them are 'leaders'. They're all slimballs who worked their way up the system.

Just make sure to wear both your masks while your roof and doors are off your Bronco...safety first. Don’t forget to pay your carbon credits first though....
See here's the problem. The right thing to do is wear a mask for the safety of others. YOU don't care if you get Covid? go right ahead, knock yourself out. It's not fun. But you do you. Best of luck.
But be considerate of the people that don't want Covid. Do they not matter? Or those that are high risk? You want to live your life, can they not live theirs?

If more people would just do the right thing, then the law wouldn't even need to exist. I'm pretty sure this is how Australia did it, and their numbers are super low. Because it wasn't politicized and people actually decided to care for one another. Meanwhile in the US, we have the 'you can't tell me what to do' crowd. Awesome. that's working out just great for us.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
The more safety specific recorded information on my driving the better. Most scared of this kind of thing are likely shit drivers. I say most because breach of privacy and rights Yada Yada

Not China. But I have been to Singapore. Which is about as authoritarian as it gets.

Now, do I agree with everything they're doing? Not even the slightest. I would say they're pretty much oppressed. But man, was the city beautiful. No trash, abandoned buildings, etc... anywhere. And I've never felt that safe visiting a foreign county as I did there.
Same. We saw a group of young school girls in uniforms riding the El train downtown late at night and felt safe as can be. Hmm I wonder why they were out so late.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some comments here.

Event data recorders have been present on passenger cars for decades now.

Ford's footing the bill for your car's Telematics data, they're not going to pay to keep tabs on who's racing up the onramp.

BroncoBass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Black Box" information has been around for many many years, going all the way back to 1994 for select GM vehicles. There are specialty tools required for accessing the information, the one with the most support is made by Bosch, and the "supported vehicles" list is available for download here:

https://cdr.boschdiagnostics.com/cdr/sites/cdr/files/CDR_v19.4_Vehicle_Coverage_List_R1_0_0.pdf

Kia, Hyundai, Tesla, etc have their own proprietary tools for accessing their information, and all of these tools are very expensive.

Data contained in these is generally only a few seconds before a crash event, and data may or may not be recorded depending on the severity. In fact, all new vehicles are required to record this information and have a commercially available tool to access the info.

These event data recorders generally provide secondary information for crash reconstruction, and don't keep track of your driving habits.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If more people would just do the right thing, then the law wouldn't even need to exist. I'm pretty sure this is how Australia did it, and their numbers are super low. Because it wasn't politicized and people actually decided to care for one another. Meanwhile in the US, we have the 'you can't tell me what to do' crowd. Awesome. that's working out just great for us.
meanwhile, that 'you can't tell me what to do crowd' doesn't realize that they're actually the ones that made the laws mandatory. If instead of thinking about only themselves, the laws wouldn't have had to be put in place if they were just considerate of others. 🤯

Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Prkelly

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another Conspiracy Theory, they can track your car off of the TPMS sensors , each one has a unique signal that can be tracked by a cell tower or any other signal tracker.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://patch.com/florida/southtampa/teens-who-killed-mother-toddler-bayshore-plead-guilty

Have direct knowledge of this case. The data that came out of that car was thousands of pages.

People who say 'tin foil' nonsense about these things are just willfully ignorant at this point.

ETA: And it was months worth of data.
and this goes back to my post on page 1.

if they weren't doing 'shady shit', like racing down a road with a posted speed limit of 35mph, then the accident would've never happened, and there would be no need to access the data! (and a mother and daughter, 2 humans, would still be living today)

please don't tell me you're defending these kids. They deserve to go to jail.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

please don't tell me you're defending these kids. They deserve to go to jail.
Where did you get that I was defending them? smh

They deserve to be under the jail.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some people like to call this a "tin foil hat" concern. But in the news today, golfer Tiger Woods was recently in a crash, and looks like the authorities are wanting to look at what they are calling the vehicle "black box". (Article link below.)

Specifically the authorities mention using the black box to "determine if criminal charges were necessary". Currently there are no criminal charges, but imagine if your vehicle rats you out and they up the charges. Cold!

Possibly the extent to which the new Bronco might rat out the owner, would depend on the number of sensors and automated functions on the various versions.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sherif...rmine-if-a-crime-was-committed-033336250.html
As a safe driver, I am 100% for lower insurance rates.
It is 2021. There are "smart connected devices" EVERYWHERE. That is the reality.
Starting with your phone.
Sponsored