First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Tomorrow I finalize either my Bronco order or my 2021 Lunar Gray TRD Pro purchase (being built now w/delivery end of April). I've spent way too much time learning all the off-roading/overlanding lifestyle in the last year. To be quite honest, I am torn. A few thousand less for TRD PRO vs. my intended Badlands/Lux/Sasquatch build. Toyota is "old" but bulletproof and has incredible re-sale value.

Intended use is simple, go off beaten path, get my kids involved, and I tend to push limits. Rock crawling? Not likely, but then again, if the opportunity comes... My oldest son already want to "get lost" and go fishing, camping, etc.

So here's my dilemma: Ford ... I've loved the Bronco style since it was first put out there, the styling is phenomenal in my opinion and color choices are great as all but black appeal to me. Capabilities in KOH videos seem excellent.. BUT, Ford.. delays, rust, twin turbo v6, and tons of electronics = worry me about reliability. I may also be a bit biased because my particular dealer is awful with communication and transparency.
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro: wasn't a fan of the style until I looked at it more, and more, and more. Then I found all the after-market world which is very Jeep-like. I can get the TRD Pro for about $6K less than the Badlands build I have. The 4Runner is dated, has way less options (and electronics) and I would still go 33s and a lift which is extra cash but I can to that for $400 from westcott. Is it bad that it's not a twin-turbo v6 with all the bells and whistles.. hmmm (more to go wrong?)

So, help me.. tomorrow I meet with Ford first thing in AM to do my build. Then I walk without giving them the $900 additional they want to meet with Toyota. There I will speak with sales manager who had no idea I was paying cash and wanted to talk financing options. :) I personally like the styling of the bronco better and those 35s.. and all that capability. But the 4Runner is 98% as capable and most of the driving is still on-road.

At the end of the day, I want a long-term off road vehicle that once all my kids are out of the house my wife and I can go and enjoy. .... So, I welcome any and all insight.
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like itā€™s a pure toy...Bronco all day long. #1: The top comes off. Way more fun. #2 More capable from the factory off road. No question. #3 Easier to mod. Way easier platform.
Itā€™s a no brainer...A Bronco with 35s.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Brand New styling or Old and out-dated? Which do you want?

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Give up the bronco.
It will make mine more unique ;)
Jk

They only reason Iā€™d go with the 4Runner which are a dime a dozen around here is the size vs bronco.

Plus I like to go fast. Bronco = fast

Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get the TRD, by the time Broncos are readily available (couple three years) lots of those uncertainties you mentioned will at least be understood. And assuming you don't have a super early reservation to begin with, you were gonna be waiting for a while anyway. Might as well wait with a badass TRD in the driveway (in the woods).

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What do you mean by long term? I don't care what anyone here says, a Toyota 4Runner (with a proven track record) has a much better chance of making it long term against the newly designed Ford Bronco. The Bronco is cooler and more fun, but I highly doubt it lasts anywhere near as long before giving you trouble.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Didn't we have this earlier today?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

They are very different vehicles. Only reason I would go 4Runner is the bigger size. Before the Bronco was announced I went through a couple rounds of shopping for an off-road toy. Could never pull the trigger though, wrangler too small and 4Runner too gutless. At least Bronco has the guts lol.

Sponsored

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just off hand, you seem like someone who heavily prioritizes reliability. I love the Bronco but as with any first model year car, there will be some ā€œquirksā€. I am fully expecting there to be some issues here and there because of all that is new on this vehicle. I doubt/hope there wonā€™t be anything major, but definitely some software bugs and things like that.

If you feel that you cannot accept that type of stuff, Iā€™d go TRD.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regarding price... the Black Diamond with the Sasquatch package would be very comparable to the capabilities of the TRD Pro. And it would cost less than the Badlands. More of an apples to apples comparison.

It sounds like you want the Bronco. Bottom line is... once the Broncos arrive, will you regret buying the Toyota when you could have waited several months for the Bronco?

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You really can't go wrong with the 4Runner. I've got a 2015 Tacoma TRD Pro that I bought used for a pretty good price - it's a fun ride for sure!

Two things that stick out to me in your post:

Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro: wasn't a fan of the style until I looked at it more, and more, and more.

I personally like the styling of the bronco better and those 35s.. and all that capability.
Sounds like you prefer the Bronco to me...