Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get the bronco, the 4runner is way over priced for what it is.
And you're worried about rust so you're looking at a Toyota? Lol toyotas are the only thing that rust out here in the south. Why I hate working on em.
Sponsored

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You seem to want the bronco and besides you may save $6k but you will probably end dropping $6k to get it to the bronco level

Ilmguy1234

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the end of the day, it's your choice, but PERSONALLY, I find it extremely exciting to be one of the first movers and apart of a new era of off road vehicles. If you're not in a bind for a vehicle, I'd wait it out. I considered a 4runner for a very very long time. When it's all said and done it's a very old platform. I get the appeal, but when you really look at it, it's a lot of money for the vehicle (I'm a tech guy and their tech is trash). It's extremely under powered but get's terrible gas mileage. The fancy "can't get stuck" mode is just glorified 4-low and it can't really tow. If you are looking for a true "toy", I highly suggest you wait it out especially if you have the reservation already. The TRD pro isn't a rare vehicle, and I would guess the bronco doesn't depreciate very fast so if for some reason you get buyers remorse, you can absolutely sell it and get the TRD Pro.

mik06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did you drive the 4runner? They look polished inside I guess but you can tell driving them that underneath it's a very old vehicle. I mean it rocks forward and back stopping at traffic lights longer than homer's fat gut. If I was paying that kind of money for a new vehicle I wouldn't settle for old school design and suspension.

Edit: Why not just not order either until you can see the bronco in person? The backlog will go down quick.

Sponsored

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go get the Toyota, and look on envious until the next opportunity.

You really can't go wrong with Toyota. My only beef is that they haven't offered any significant update to the Tacoma, or 4Runner for a decade or so now. They work... just dated

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Get the TRD, by the time Broncos are readily available (couple three years) lots of those uncertainties you mentioned will at least be understood. And assuming you don't have a super early reservation to begin with, you were gonna be waiting for a while anyway. Might as well wait with a badass TRD in the driveway (in the woods).
This is my issue in a nutshell. I'm paying cash either way. So, when Toyoto does a revamp of the 4Runner, or if Ford proves reliable, do win/lost when I purchase tomorrow? And yes, Ford delivery is an issue BUT I am driving a 2012 Dodge Caravan while I bought my wife a new telluride (excellent vehicle by the way) and my daughter a 2017 elantra which is great.

I can "swap" whenever. But I will lose value. So, cargo room but less seating in second room.. Towing capacity... FUN? .... Go Bronco and take new TRD PRo in 2 yrs if it doesn't pan out.. hmm

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Go get the Toyota, and look on envious until the next opportunity.

You really can't go wrong with Toyota. My only beef is that they haven't offered any significant update to the Tacoma, or 4Runner for a decade or so now. They work... just dated
Thanks!

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats the worst Toyota 4Runner pitch / Bronco diss I ever heard.

saying that, I’m sticking with Domestic (Bronco will be the highest American Made / American Parts content Production vehicle In 2021) and while the 4Runner is made in Japan, looks like they have outsourced a good portion of the front axle assembly to china (no thanks)

Thrasher78

First Edition
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and ford F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So where is this rust coming from as a negative for Ford? I don’t see the Bronco being any quicker to rust than the 4Runner.
I'm curious on the rust issue as well.
Mia there articles out there identifying premature rust?

Sponsored
OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did you drive the 4runner? They look polished inside I guess but you can tell driving them that underneath it's a very old vehicle. I mean it rocks forward and back stopping at traffic lights longer than homer's fat gut. If I was paying that kind of money for a new vehicle I wouldn't settle for old school design and suspension.

Edit: Why not just not order either until you can see the bronco in person? The backlog will go down quick.
I did drive the 4Runner and it was great. Bear in mind, I"m driving a 2012 Grand Caravan while my wife has a 2020 Telluride. Night and Day. That said, we do a lot with 6 kids and 3 dogs so won't knock the minivan. But now it's time to go camping and fishing, and off road..

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thats the worst Toyota 4Runner pitch / Bronco diss I ever heard.

saying that, I’m sticking with Domestic (Bronco will be the highest American Made / American Parts content Production vehicle In 2021) and while the 4Runner is made in Japan, looks like they have outsourced a good portion of the front axle assembly to china (no thanks)
Not a pitch.. a Dad looking to finalize decision. My worry is the untested technology vs. the quality of the 4runner is all. No knock on either.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get the 4Runner TDR, just get the non TDR Pro or the trail version. It can do 90% of the stuff the Pro can do but much less $. The only thing I'm not a fan of the 4Runner is it's out dated styling, old school engine and a 5-speed trans. I would want something that would still look good 4 years from now. And every time I would look at it, it would remind me it looks like a 10 year old SUV. And just knowing a newer one will be coming out in the next few years with a model transmission I would regret it buying one now. If a newer model was expended to show up on dealer lots the same time or a bit later than the Bronco then I may wait. But knowing the Bronco looks much better, its more modern, more capable, quicker, likely better fuel mileage. All my focus is looking at a Bronco. I've been in a 4Runner and I'm guessing you have to since your looking at one. They just don't feel as big inside as they look from the outside. I believe the Bronco will have more usable room, better suspension and the modularity of the roof is a plus. If I was in the market for an off-roader now and the Bronco wasn't an option. I would stick with my truck. I still wouldn't get the 4Runner due its out dated looks and engine/trans and refuse to buy a Jeep. If you haven't driven the 4Runner yet; do it. Ask yourself if you can live with that engine/trans several years down the road. Not me...

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if Toyota improved the style of the 4runner TRD so that it wasn't so ugly, would anyone even look at Ford?
Hmm I love the 4 runner.
Sponsored