First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Get the 4Runner if you are not seeking 35s or bigger. I recently sold my 4Runner TRD Pro and it was a solid rig with 3 inch lift and 285's.
I just need more ground clearance for off road and didn't want the drama for 35's on the 4Runner.
If long term reliability and mild off roading are at the top of the list...go 4Runner.
14EB9257-638D-4DA9-9B0C-4B0CBD2FC867.jpeg
7B0345D9-39EB-488C-955B-86218430CF93.jpeg
Appreciate the insight and that is the intent. I have no desire to hit extremely difficult rock crawling but do intend to do fun mud and moderate trails.
Sponsored

MikeOU

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm no help, but I am fortunate to not have to choose. Bought a 2016 4 RUnner TRD PRo new sight unseen. And now 5 years and 85,000 miles later still like new. No serious off roading but we have done 2 week road trips through western US (New Mexico, Arizona, Tahoe, Nevada, Colorado), another in eastern US (Memphis, Nashville, Asheville, Georgia, Arkansas) and another up through Colorado. Hit the trails in most of those states.

Once I decided to buy a Bronco, the wife and daughter are now fighting over who gets the 4 Runner. I did not go crazy with mods but do have several. Looking at KBB I maybe lost $15k in value since I purchased new in 2016.

We'll be selling off the wife's Mazda CX-5 after just 2 years and have a Grey 4 Runner TRD PRo and a Rapid Red 4-door BL Sasquatch in the garage... eventually!

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm no help, but I am fortunate to not have to choose. Bought a 2016 4 RUnner TRD PRo new sight unseen. And now 5 years and 85,000 miles later still like new. No serious off roading but we have done 2 week road trips through western US (New Mexico, Arizona, Tahoe, Nevada, Colorado), another in eastern US (Memphis, Nashville, Asheville, Georgia, Arkansas) and another up through Colorado. Hit the trails in most of those states.

Once I decided to buy a Bronco, the wife and daughter are now fighting over who gets the 4 Runner. I did not go crazy with mods but do have several. Looking at KBB I maybe lost $15k in value since I purchased new in 2016.

We'll be selling off the wife's Mazda CX-5 after just 2 years and have a Grey 4 Runner TRD PRo and a Rapid Red 4-door BL Sasquatch in the garage... eventually!
Cool..I ultimately opted for the 4Runner. TRD Pro Lunar Rock is scheduled for 3/15 build and I should have it mid-April. After meeting with the Ford dealership and hearing all the uncertainty but a definitive “no Sasquatch until next year” I figured I’ll wait on a Bronco. If I love the 4Runner, no need to change it up. If I don’t, I’ll swap it for a bronco when they are more readily available. I’m planning on 285s with a Wescott lift for the fox shocks so mod cost there is relatively cheap. I’ll do full 3” lift with new suspension when it’s time to replace the fox units.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 4Runner is an appliance. An off road capable appliance with unmatched reliability but an appliance nonetheless.

If that’s what you need go for it. If you want something a bit more fun... bronco is a no brainer.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cool..I ultimately opted for the 4Runner. TRD Pro Lunar Rock is scheduled for 3/15 build and I should have it mid-April. After meeting with the Ford dealership and hearing all the uncertainty but a definitive “no Sasquatch until next year” I figured I’ll wait on a Bronco. If I love the 4Runner, no need to change it up. If I don’t, I’ll swap it for a bronco when they are more readily available. I’m planning on 285s with a Wescott lift for the fox shocks so mod cost there is relatively cheap. I’ll do full 3” lift with new suspension when it’s time to replace the fox units.
Congrats @revans1009 .

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If Lunar Gray is a selling point for the Yota, then you'll go with the 4runner for sure.

That color picks it's drivers.

Edit: Post above was made prior to seeing that the OP went with the Yota. Making these sorts of connections between folks desires and outcomes isn't too difficult.

I mean, the Prius picks its driver and only the lure of Tesla and more taxpayer dollars would get them out of those.

Toyota folks are a lot like that (not a bad thing, it is what it is), add in the data point of lunar gray or the psudo military green and you've got somebody who's wallet is as sure to be pilfered by Toyota as the sun to rise tomorrow.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Congrats. It will serve you well.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@revans1009 Congrats. I have no doubt, you'll be happier long-term. Hard to beat a 4Runner.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did drive the 4Runner and it was great. Bear in mind, I"m driving a 2012 Grand Caravan while my wife has a 2020 Telluride. Night and Day. That said, we do a lot with 6 kids and 3 dogs so won't knock the minivan. But now it's time to go camping and fishing, and off road..
This is where I am leaning as I head out to dealerships now. I can always trade in the 4Runner in a year or two and know I have decent value in it. Either way I am buying outright. Kids range from 6yr old twins to 27yr old (and 2yr old grand daughter). 6 kids and 2 dogs. It’ll mostly be my wife, 13 yr old son, and twins doing the outings as my older daughters can’t stand camping, hiking, etc.
Oh no! You lost a dog overnight!

Congrats on the 4Runner! Now move on over to this thread once the deed is done!

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a former Toyota and Ford employee, I will tell you this; I will never own a Toyota, and when my Bronco arrives this year (hopefully), it will be the 4th Ford that will be in my driveway (with hopefully a 5.0L Foxbody coming soon).

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, TD5 Defender
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I did drive the 4Runner and it was great. Bear in mind, I"m driving a 2012 Grand Caravan while my wife has a 2020 Telluride. Night and Day. That said, we do a lot with 6 kids and 3 dogs so won't knock the minivan. But now it's time to go camping and fishing, and off road..
6 kids, 3 dogs? AWD sienna with a spacer lift and some AT tires, a 4x4 sprinter, or a Quigley 4x4 converted Transit is what you need. A bronco seems undersized.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a pitch.. a Dad looking to finalize decision. My worry is the untested technology vs. the quality of the 4runner is all. No knock on either.
you do realize the difference between all vehicles of all auto manufacturing companies has a quality rate difference of .01%

With the advent of robotics and computer engineering the reliability difference and quality control is negligible.

In addition, when Japanese auto makers were low volume and new to the US market they had a high quality rating..now that they produce in high volumes their quality rating has moved to average. You will notice that the Korean manufactures that are still considered low volume have the highest quality rating Today.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice, congrats. I've got 2,000 miles on my Pro 4Runner (also Lunar Rock) and am loving everything about it except the MPG. I thought about a Bronco too, but I didn't have an early reservation and needed a new vehicle before sometime in 2022. The Bronco is intriguing for sure, but I think the TRD Pro looks way better. I'm looking forward to seeing Broncos on the road, and I hope they're awesome, but I've got no regrets whatsoever about the 4Runner.

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.cars.com/articles/see-the-rust-under-our-brand-new-2021-ford-f-150-432957/

You're seeing drama made up for drama's sake. The axle is bare cast iron. It develops some surface rust, then will maintain that finish for the next 40+ years. It is not a safety, quality, or longevity concern.

The frames aren't rusting through, the cabs aren't rusting apart, it's just cast iron developing its own protective layer.

Should Ford have coated the axle for vanity's sake? Maybe, but only to appease people looking to start and propagate internet drama.

I disagree.

This just popped up on my youtube feed today, and I have to say, I agree with the guy posting. Never had rust on any of my vehicles just from sitting, brand new and not being through a North East winter with salt and water spread all over the bottom for 4 months.

After running through trails, scraping and slamming against rocks??? Yes, I'd say yes, expect that.

Brand new, 50 K vehicle, off the factory line? Unacceptable. Especially as low that the frame, drive shaft, etc sit below the body on this vehicle, it's going to stick out like a turd in a punch bowl, IF this is what's happening on the Bronco assembly.

This looks like it's been dragged and salted for 3 years.

RHazelton

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are very different vehicles. Only reason I would go 4Runner is the bigger size. Before the Bronco was announced I went through a couple rounds of shopping for an off-road toy. Could never pull the trigger though, wrangler too small and 4Runner too gutless. At least Bronco has the guts lol.
You can get the 4runner supercharged or even a sprint booster... most of the issues are with the gas pedal delay. Mine is very spunky now.
Sponsored