Clubs

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I see that there are a few threads on this forum about the prudence of installing an oil catch can, so I'm now interested in selecting one for the 2.7L. Can you recommend a specific one that is based on facts and not just manufacturer claims, in quality and practicality?
Watch MACULOCO YouTube channel. All ford stuff. He highlights 2.7 and 3.5 catch can stuff and what he recommends. Nothing on Bronco yet. Good info

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i didn't know the cans have an application on naturally aspirated engines! o_O
Yep. Cylinder blow-by happens regardless of EFI and/or turbocharging.

I think all engines have had PCVs installed since the 1970s or 1980s. The blow-by is routed back to your intake through the PCV, and that is where the catch can intercepts and traps this recycled gunk.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How often?
The time between checks varies vehicle to vehicle (because blowby and extracted oil from the PCV system is not algorithmic, linear, etc) . Checking the catch can starts to give you a baseline for how fast it fills. So this is hard to truly answer.

What tends to happen is you check it every few hundred miles and based on how much it fills, tells YOU how often you need to check it. What you never want to happen is it gets full because sucking a few ounces of sludge oil/fuel/debris into your intake is obviously not going to go well. Generally this is how anyone encounters an issue with catch cans, not checking it for way too long.

Sponsored
OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I clean it out every time I change the oil. It's about every 10k miles for me which is about every 2 months. I've got 268k miles on my 2016 F150.
which engine do you have on that thing?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
there are many videos on youtube on the 2.7L catch can installed on the F150 and why its needed .... but in this thread i'm not looking for the WHY, but just which one to chose
I wager you will not find a better one than this:

https://processwest.com.au/catalog/11/Catch-Cans

I put one on my Sprinter, and it made a huge difference. They are in Australia, so convert from AUD to USD. Pricey but FAR better than anything else local.

Sponsored
OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wager you will not find a better one than this:

https://processwest.com.au/catalog/11/Catch-Cans

I put one on my Sprinter, and it made a huge difference. They are in Australia, so convert from AUD to USD. Pricey but FAR better than anything else local.
it looks like a quality product, but right off the bat I see that the hoses are all formed except for one model and that one has a filtration system where the filter will be sitting in the accumulated oil that will fill up inside the can.

which one did you get?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it looks like a quality product, but right off the bat I see that the hoses are all formed except for one model and that one has a filtration system where the filter will be sitting in the accumulated oil that will fill up inside the can.

which one did you get?
They make a generic one with straight hoses that should work with just about any vehicle...but for the Sprinter I bought a Toyota specific model, because it came with the proper diameter inlet and outlet nipples and extra hose...and with the bends I was able to easily cut sections to fit my needs. If you have a Sprinter, not running a catch can will eventually grenade the Turbo and will result in nasty build up in all kind sof places. So far there have been 14 revisions/redesigns of the factory MB system, because the engineers keep adding some baffling to try to keep more oil out of the Turbo...but it would still end up there were in not for the separator. That thing is like a work of art...overbuilt, intended for severe use in the outback. The Aussies also build the best electrical stuff...RedArc...and their trailer brake units https://redarcelectronics.com/collections/shop-by-category eclipse anything built in this neck of the woods. The filter is specifically designed to scrub the oil mist and it is washable (engineered to sit exactly where it does):

SEPR8R Design Philosphy
The heart of the Process West SEPR8R system is a uniquely designed Catch Can with a sophisticated internal filtration system that takes the oil polluted air coming from the rocker cover of your diesel and scrubs the oil mist from it before the gas then goes back into the inlet manifold. From the factory this 'air cleaning' doesn't take place, so the oil that comes out of the rocker cover ends up filling the intercooler and inlet system resulting in both reduced performance and economy over time.

SEPR8R Installation
The SEPR8R comes as a complete bolt on generic fit kit easily adapted to any performance engine bay. With the SEPR8R kit you will receive the billet aluminium catch can with internal filtration system, a precision bracket to bolt into your engine bay, hoses to route the gasses, along with the required clamps and mounting hardware. This is a simple DIY application.

SEPR8R Technicial Specifications
TERRATUFF SEPR8R offers the following features
  • Manufactured from Billet Aluminium with removable lid and filtration assembly of 650ml capacity
  • Over Pressure relief valve incorporated to prevent system malfunction in the case of blockage
  • Drain port incorporated into main housing with optional drain valve available
  • Unique pleated stainless steel filtration system that is anti-clog, washable/reusable with low restriction 50um filtering
  • Laser cut bracket specifically designed for each vehicle
  • Moulded temperature resistance houses shaped for the engine bay of each vehicle
  • High quality clamps and mounting hardware
  • Installation instructions included

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They make a generic one with straight hoses that should work with just about any vehicle...but for the Sprinter I bought a Toyota specific model, because it came with the proper diameter inlet and outlet nipples and extra hose...and with the bends I was able to easily cut sections to fit my needs. If you have a Sprinter, not running a catch can will eventually grenade the Turbo and will result in nasty build up in all kind sof places. So far there have been 14 revisions/redesigns of the factory MB system, because the engineers keep adding some baffling to try to keep more oil out of the Turbo...but it would still end up there were in not for the separator. That thing is like a work of art...overbuilt, intended for severe use in the outback. The Aussies also build the best electrical stuff...RedArc...and their trailer brake units https://redarcelectronics.com/collections/shop-by-category eclipse anything built in this neck of the woods. The filter is specifically designed to scrub the oil mist and it is washable (engineered to sit exactly where it does):

SEPR8R Design Philosphy
The heart of the Process West SEPR8R system is a uniquely designed Catch Can with a sophisticated internal filtration system that takes the oil polluted air coming from the rocker cover of your diesel and scrubs the oil mist from it before the gas then goes back into the inlet manifold. From the factory this 'air cleaning' doesn't take place, so the oil that comes out of the rocker cover ends up filling the intercooler and inlet system resulting in both reduced performance and economy over time.

SEPR8R Installation
The SEPR8R comes as a complete bolt on generic fit kit easily adapted to any performance engine bay. With the SEPR8R kit you will receive the billet aluminium catch can with internal filtration system, a precision bracket to bolt into your engine bay, hoses to route the gasses, along with the required clamps and mounting hardware. This is a simple DIY application.

SEPR8R Technicial Specifications
TERRATUFF SEPR8R offers the following features
  • Manufactured from Billet Aluminium with removable lid and filtration assembly of 650ml capacity
  • Over Pressure relief valve incorporated to prevent system malfunction in the case of blockage
  • Drain port incorporated into main housing with optional drain valve available
  • Unique pleated stainless steel filtration system that is anti-clog, washable/reusable with low restriction 50um filtering
  • Laser cut bracket specifically designed for each vehicle
  • Moulded temperature resistance houses shaped for the engine bay of each vehicle
  • High quality clamps and mounting hardware
  • Installation instructions included
looks like they have a distributor in Utah.

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great topic. This post is not about to do or not to do, it is about the positive crankcase ventilation temperature AND ambient temp combo. I live where the sun is about 15 feet over my head and I wonder how important it is to control the temperature of the catch can. I mean, if it does not cool down to some extent won't a portion pass on thru as vapor and not be collected?

Pic showing heat shielding of a catch can from quick google search - I have no clue about their product. Attempt is to add some value to the topic.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/catch-can-heat-shield

Ford Bronco Best Oil Catch Can for the 2.7L? 1626137432161

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
looks like they have a distributor in Utah.
I did Ebay and got shipping pretty quickly through cjmotor but Utah would have been faster...I wish I would have known about that! I know the Sprinter is off-topic from the Bronco, but for folks who are not mechanics/are unaware of the purpose or need for a "catch can," the attachment might explain things a bit (from a MB perspective)...
Sponsored

Attachments