Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks to be a subaru baja competitor.
Shoot looks like a pool cleaner's wet dream. They love the old rangers. New one is too big for them LOL
Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People really missing the point of this thing. Trucks have gotten very expensive to the average consumer. Most suburban truck shoppers that want a bed to throw mulch in and take debris to the dump don’t need or want an F-150 sized truck that costs $50k. Even comparing to the ridgeline is wrong. That is a $35k-$42k pickup. Most people even with full sized pickups don’t go off road. The maverick just needs to be able to handle dirt roads and poor driving conditions.

Consider the price point Ford is going for here. Rumors are this truck will start under $20k which means there really won’t be anything else like it. I think they will sell very well. There is a huge thirst for pickup trucks and if a decently optioned maverick is around $25k new they will sell a ton.
Weird how history repeats itself. We’re going back to 1990s all over again with Mazda’s, izuzus, Mitsubishi low rider trucks. I can see then slamming these things to the ground real soon. Mullet and gold chain to boot?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As the operator of a 5G Ranger, I think it's great that they decided to make a "sub-Ranger" that's the size of an XL 4th gen Ranger.

Huge progress in the truck world! Trucks cant sell, drop the small ones, make the full-sized gargantuan.... Oh shit, we need smaller trucks, make new small trucks the size of old full-sized. Oh damn, they are still too big, make new small trucks the size of old small trucks.

Ford chasing them sales and making those big decisions!

Ford Bronco Maverick Pickup nearly fully revealed! giphy[1]

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last year you could buy a new Frontier for less than $20k. Weak and outdated but a true truck frame with a well tested and extremely reliable and simple drivetrain.

Wasn’t enough consumers for it to stay. I’m not sure how a Escape with a 1.5L and a bed is suppose to do what that Frontier couldn’t. It certainly won’t last as long drivetrain wise.

The maverick is car based, has a smaller more complicated engine, stuck with IRS and they still want the same amount of money as that Frontier?
I think you left out the fact the old frontier had a crap interior with VERY FEW of the safety features a maverick will have.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think you left out the fact the old frontier had a crap interior with VERY FEW of the safety features a maverick will have.
No I said it was old and outdated, still perfectly capable of passing all US government regulations.

The original statement was as follows

“Trucks have gotten very expensive to the average consumer. Most suburban truck shoppers that want a bed to throw mulch in and take debris to the dump don’t need or want an F-150 sized truck that costs $50k.”

Going by that then yes, all needs are exceeded by the Frontier without a planned obsolescence drivetrain and IRS.

You buy the right tool for the job, if your concerned about minute safety differences and interior material quality then your not thinking objectively.

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
No I said it was old and outdated, still perfectly capable of passing all US government regulations.

The original statement was as follows

“Trucks have gotten very expensive to the average consumer. Most suburban truck shoppers that want a bed to throw mulch in and take debris to the dump don’t need or want an F-150 sized truck that costs $50k.”

Going by that then yes, all needs are exceeded by the Frontier without a planned obsolescence drivetrain and IRS.

You buy the right tool for the job, if your concerned about minute safety differences and interior material quality then your not thinking objectively.
Questionable regulations aside. There were plenty of consumers for it to stay as long as it did, but not enough that want it in the outdated format. The majority of people want an updated interior with safety features, that is proven by sales. Thats why they were forced to release the next gen.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...r-buyers-want-advanced-safety-not-automation/

Ford Bronco Maverick Pickup nearly fully revealed! 1615582188035

I guess I'm failing to see why its an issue that its the same price as a frontier, when the frontier is in a different class. The Maverick should be compared to the ridgeline.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Questionable regulations aside. There were plenty of consumers for it to stay as long as it did, but not enough that want it in the outdated format. The majority of people want an updated interior with safety features, that is proven by sales. Thats why they were forced to release the next gen.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...r-buyers-want-advanced-safety-not-automation/

1615582188035.png

I guess I'm failing to see why its an issue that its the same price as a frontier, when the frontier is in a different class. The Maverick should be compared to the ridgeline.
So you agree it’s not a truck substitute? If a consumer doesn’t need a bed very often why keep a vestigial bed around? It’s easier to just buy a cheap trailer to pull behind the crossover.

Im only comparing price to Frontier because I see people make a big point of the price.

If I were in the market for cheap utility I would chose the frontier, if I wanted something unibody to throw caustic substances I wouldn’t want in a car - I would buy a car and a small trailer. Combining the two seems like the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t get it....
Doesn’t Ford already produce a midsize truck?

scrap this damn thing and make more Broncos...
Think of this as what the Ranger used to be when it first started. The Ranger is now midsize. Since this is on the Escape platform, no Broncos will be harmed in making these. 😄 If anything, you want people to buy this who otherwise would have bought a Ranger, as that would free up capacity for more Broncos. So cheer its success! 😄

Sponsored

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you agree it’s not a truck substitute? If a consumer doesn’t need a bed very often why keep a vestigial bed around? It’s easier to just buy a cheap trailer to pull behind the crossover.

Im only comparing price to Frontier because I see people make a big point of the price.

If I were in the market for cheap utility I would chose the frontier, if I wanted something unibody to throw caustic substances I wouldn’t want in a car - I would buy a car and a small trailer. Combining the two seems like the worst of both worlds.
The Maverick is a truck based on the definition of a truck.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truck
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-makes-a-truck-a-truck-1838538497

We dont have tow or payload numbers yet but everyone's needs are different. I think everyone would be surprised by how many people with a cab on frame pickup (150/colorado/etc) actually need/use its payload and tow rating. I would bet many would be better off in a minivan or suv.

As for the trailer thing, not going to get into that. (Storage, ease of use, availbility, driveability)

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People really missing the point of this thing. Trucks have gotten very expensive to the average consumer. Most suburban truck shoppers that want a bed to throw mulch in and take debris to the dump don’t need or want an F-150 sized truck that costs $50k. Even comparing to the ridgeline is wrong. That is a $35k-$42k pickup. Most people even with full sized pickups don’t go off road. The maverick just needs to be able to handle dirt roads and poor driving conditions.

Consider the price point Ford is going for here. Rumors are this truck will start under $20k which means there really won’t be anything else like it. I think they will sell very well. There is a huge thirst for pickup trucks and if a decently optioned maverick is around $25k new they will sell a ton.
I love my Ford Transit Connect, which I use like a truck. Less than 20k, tons of space, easy to use. I love it.

A truck for less than 20K would be awesome too. Trucks have gotten stupid expensive, so much that I wouldn't do anh actual work with one. Lol

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last year you could buy a new Frontier for less than $20k. Weak and outdated but a true truck frame with a well tested and extremely reliable and simple drivetrain.

Wasn’t enough consumers for it to stay. I’m not sure how a Escape with a 1.5L and a bed is suppose to do what that Frontier couldn’t. It certainly won’t last as long drivetrain wise.

The maverick is car based, has a smaller more complicated engine, stuck with IRS and they still want the same amount of money as that Frontier?
Not everyone wants a full blown full frame truck. The same people that would be interested in something like this are the reason we have 4,700 compact and subcompact crossovers on the market. What you value in a truck means exactly dick to what they're looking for. Small, economical, decent ride and a little bed to occasionally throw dirty things into. That's it. They don't care about a ton of power and towing. They just want to go to Home Depot for some river rocks.