Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Says on the Canadian b&p that the brake controller wiring is not included in the tow package anyways. As far as the class 2, it's been talked about in every towing post I've seen so fsr. Lol
Screenshot_20210315-192459_Chrome.jpg
The wiring is included in the hitch package but the controller is not.
Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bronco specification is Class II. Class II is
Class II200-350 lbs2,000 - 3,500 lbs

Maybe Ford specs a class III hitch, but it seems more likely to me it is a Class II. I can find lots of examples of class II 2” receivers. I am suggesting, based on the OP question, that you may be able to get a known class III hitch in the aftermarket for a similar or less expensive price. Personally, I would be cautious on using a winch, which would likely need to be rated at 6k minimum to safely recover the Bronco, using a class II rated receiver. Probably fine. To say all recovery points or all 2” receivers are able to support recovery of the entire weight of the vehicle, seems naive. But I was just adding my perception of value to aftermarket vs. factory price. Personally, I am adding my own, I felt the price was too high and knowing I have a class III is a benefit in my mind. It’s$95 more than the Ranger for some reason 😧
Ford rates the hitch as a recovery point if it is included. In addition to the one tow hook at the rear. straight pull on the hitch point is not the same loading as tow rating.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm in base camp so it's a moot point for me but I probably wouldn't check the box because it looks like $150 worth of OEM parts I can buy after the sale and get 45 minutes of quality time with the Bronco while installing it. I'll probably buy the OEM wiring pigtail/connector and get a Class IV hitch, when available. Here's the Ranger5G version of this thread that might interest some of you: Ranger5G - Trailer wiring and connector

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Can you provide a reference for that? That would be an extreme departure from pretty standardized class system for hitches.
Ford has explicitly stated that it is a Class II hitch receiver numerous times. Take some time to look it up and you'll see it for yourself.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Last question before I place my order (Black Diamond) this week: is the common consensus that the Towing Capability is not worth the $600 asking price as it is merely a hitch and a wiring harness? No transmission cooler/etc. that you may get with other vehicles' tow packages?
The question is are you towing or not? Time is money.You are not saving money by going after market. Period. They install it at factory saves you time which translates to money saved.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I’ve learned anything about Ford, they punish you later for not checking the box for the factory option. Look at those who don’t order a factory hardtop and want to add one later. No defrost and washer fluid connections. There was a bulletin about 2021 F150s ordered without factory brake controllers are not able to add an aftermarket brake controller. They’re working to fix it, but those who already bought and thought they could add one later are only able to buy the OEM controller.

Ford Bronco Towing Package: worth it or no? 82D85C31-3A28-48C0-B29A-85422876C610

bronc

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do we know if it's wired as 7-pin? And if so, where/how do you wire in the brake controller given it's going to be in the passenger compartment? I have one in my current vehicle but I didn't do the wiring...

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife is ordering the tow package for My21 and I’ll install a Redarc tow pro elite brake controller. Leaps and bounds better than the Ford brake controller and plug n play. I haven’t seen many aftermarket tow receivers that didnt look aftermarket and like our vehicles to look clean in that sense. We have an offroad camper and its great to have the brake controller when on the dicey trails.

if aftermarket comes out with a setup I like, I’ll consider it on her MY22 order.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we know if it's wired as 7-pin? And if so, where/how do you wire in the brake controller given it's going to be in the passenger compartment? I have one in my current vehicle but I didn't do the wiring...
Yes, it’s 4/7 pin. I installed the Redarc tow pro in my wife’s grand cherokee that has the tow package wiring harness, plug and play and took me less than 10min to remove the console panel, plug in the unit, reinstall the panel.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The question is are you towing are not? Time is money.You are not saving money by going after market. Period. They install it at factory saves you time which translates to money saved.
This makes zero sense. If I can get equivalent hardware for, say, $300 and install it in an hour, I am literally saving $300 for an hour of my time. Tax free. How many people would sneer at $300 tax free for an hour of their time? What is this, a Ferrari forum?

Sponsored

jasony2069

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The question is do we get trailer sway control with the tow package. If yes it’s well worth it.

I ordered it because wired from the factory and ready to roll is what I want. For reference went after market for the wife’s suv, they did a great job but it still wasn’t factory.

Congratulations on ordering, it’s a great feeling when you get the email from Ford acknowledging the order.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last question before I place my order (Black Diamond) this week: is the common consensus that the Towing Capability is not worth the $600 asking price as it is merely a hitch and a wiring harness? No transmission cooler/etc. that you may get with other vehicles' tow packages?
I think it is worth it if you want or need the 7-wire capability or don't want to bother with self-install. If you just want the hitch for accessories, or are happy with a 4-wire lights-only connector then an aftermarket solution will be cheap and easy to install.

The 7-wire capability is somewhat unknown and may be complex to give it similar functionality (charge line, fuses, relay, etc). Adding factory 7-wire harness to 2019+ Wrangler takes an incredible 6-8 hours for DIY (disassembling connectors in main wiring harness at dash, removing interior panels, etc) and costs more than the factory hitch.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This makes zero sense. If I can get equivalent hardware for, say, $300 and install it in an hour, I am literally saving $300 for an hour of my time. Tax free. How many people would sneer at $300 tax free for an hour of their time? What is this, a Ferrari forum?
Says the guy who physically took the time of out of his day to go visit a dealership to spec out his bronco. 5-10 minutes on the phone and an email is all converting a reservation into an order took.

will aftermarket hang lower, losing departure angle? Will the aftermarket harness be plug n play with no splicing? Will the aftermarket be available day 1?

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Says the guy who physically took the time of out of his day to go visit a dealership to spec out his bronco. 5-10 minutes on the phone and an email is all converting a reservation into an order took.
I was literally driving past the dealership on my way home, so...

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just priced out installing a hitch at UHAUL in Salt Lake City.
on a 2021 Bronco sport. The on line quote is for a "Class III" hitch with. 2inch reciever. Parts total is $274. Install with UHAUL warranty is $447. Savings of about 150 from Ford.

That being said, I am getting the factory tow package from ford. Their warranty, already complete day 1, no headache and time needed from me.
Ford Bronco Towing Package: worth it or no? SmartSelect_20210316-005715_Chrome
Ford Bronco Towing Package: worth it or no? SmartSelect_20210316-005751_Chrome

Screenshot_20210316-005554_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: