Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hi all,
So we all know that the Bronco will have a 3,500 max towing capacity, but what will be a realistic number to comfortably, and safely tow?

I currently drive a Tacoma TRD Pro, but am interested in switching to the Bronco 2.3L w/manual trans.
Typically, I tow an aluminum trailer with a loaded weight of around 1,000 lbs to 1,500 lbs. (Includes 625lb trailer weight)
I would also like to occasionally tow my tractor which would bring the towing weight to 3,000 lbs.

This is the one thing that might hold me back from buying a Bronco. Either that or I'll just have to keep to my pickup.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,
So we all know that the Bronco will have a 3,500 max towing capacity, but what will be a realistic number to comfortably, and safely tow?

I currently drive a Tacoma TRD Pro, but am interested in switching to the Bronco 2.3L w/manual trans.
Typically, I tow an aluminum trailer with a loaded weight of around 1,000 lbs to 1,500 lbs. (Includes 625lb trailer weight)
I would also like to occasionally tow my tractor which would bring the towing weight to 3,000 lbs.

This is the one thing that might hold me back from buying a Bronco. Either that or I'll just have to keep to my pickup.

it ain't the engine. it's the shocks. and the way the truck is set up. and the class II hitch. 2020 ford ranger does 7500 lb towing capacity.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

it ain't the engine. it's the shocks. and the way the truck is set up. and the class II hitch. 2020 ford ranger does 7500 lb towing capacity.
I concur it has to be the suspension. The platform, and one engine/transmission combo is the same as Ranger and there is no difference in TC between any of the Bronco drivetrain combinations. Wranglers have a different TC between the two door and four door due to wheelbase (presumably) and there is no difference in TC between the Bronco two door and four door. To me the only obvious thing left is suspension, which given that the Badlands and Sasquatch have their own super-amazing tall and articulating version still with 3500lbs kind of leaves me disappointed that they couldn't get a higher rating on the base version.

Merica123

Badlands
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

I towed a 3000# travel trailer with a 2.3 Ford Ranger last weekend and it pulled like a champ. Never over 2500rpm and felt stable.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is there a small chance that we can reduce the "towing used to be better" mantra (similar to the hp lamenting)?

Ford Bronco Realistic 2.3L Towing Capacity? Capture.PNG

Sponsored

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 19.5' Seadoo jet boat, trailer and boat loaded weigh in @4000 and I have towed it a number of times with my son's Ranger - albeit only @ 2 miles one way to the lake but it actually tows as well (or better) than my 17 Raptor. I will not hesitate to do the same with the Bronco. I have ordered the WT so I will have the 2.7 but if I was getting any other model I would have stuck with the 2.3 because it is an excellent engine in the Ranger and would have every confidence in it in the Bronco.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there a small chance that we can reduce the "towing used to be better" mantra (similar to the hp lamenting)?

Ford Bronco Realistic 2.3L Towing Capacity? Capture.PNG
Honest question- what is the wheelbase of that truck compared to the new ones?
In reality even 4k is a significant improvement over 3.5k considering the weight of small travel trailers.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honest question- what is the wheelbase of that truck compared to the new ones?
In reality even 4k is a significant improvement over 3.5k considering the weight of small travel trailers.
1996 = 104.7
2021 = 100.4/116.1

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1996 = 104.7
2021 = 100.4/116.1
Thanks! Wheelbase is only one factor but is the big one that can't be helped by tweaks for tow rating, so it's an important metric. 3500lbs seems impressive for the 2-door, but looking at the difference between the 2- and 4-door and their difference to the 1996, the 4-door looks cheezy with the same number IMO.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Buy the Bronco AND keep the Yota for towing...that’s what I’m doing.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Buy the Bronco AND keep the Yota for towing...that’s what I’m doing.
Dude not all of us are made of money. Can we stop with this "buy X" garbage once and for all? Everybody's situation is different, and most of the time that's not helpful.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all,

Direct answer: you will be fine. Modern vehicles can comfortably tow at the limit.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude not all of us are made of money. Can we stop with this "buy X" garbage once and for all? Everybody's situation is different, and most of the time that's not helpful.
What, you don't have the money to drop 50K on the Bronco just as an off-road toy and nothing else? 😄 I thought all of us who wanted to tow something were just going to grab a $50K F-150 as well. ;)

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the possibility that brakes play into the tow rating as well?

Obviously wheel base is part of it, but the tow rating is the same for both 2-door and 4-door, so it's not the only factor.

Not sure how heavy these are compared with older Broncos or the Ranger, but given the GVWR issues I wonder about stopping distance while also towing being a factor contributing to the tow rating.

In any case, you should be fine towing at least up to the rated limit.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What's the possibility that brakes play into the tow rating as well?

Obviously wheel base is part of it, but the tow rating is the same for both 2-door and 4-door, so it's not the only factor.

Not sure how heavy these are compared with older Broncos or the Ranger, but given the GVWR issues I wonder about stopping distance while also towing being a factor contributing to the tow rating.

In any case, you should be fine towing at least up to the rated limit.
Pretty much the same GVWR as the Ranger and "based on it". I would think that either they aren't an issue or if they are, it could easily be rectified.
Sponsored