JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok, so I can already see the improvements I would be making right off the bat. replace the link arms. either swap to heim joints, or a link with a twist joint in the middle.

the articulation is limited by how much those links can twist in their mounts. since those appear to be fairly wide and solid mounts, it means that it is limited by the max deflection of the bushings. which isn't much.

Also, the upper connection for the upper links is too low for larger tires.

So, I'd replace the links with customer links with heims most likely. Possibly rearrange some brackets to increase the height of upper links same time as they get replaced. While doing this, it may be possible to angle those links, and lengthen them. if that can be done enough, then just swap to triangulated 4-link and trash the panhard.

I guess to keep it under warranty I would just replace the links with the ones with heims, and put the stockers back in if there needs to be warranty work. I don't think they can do the heims from the factory due to longevity, they do not last as long as a solid bushed unit like this, and they have a bit more slop as well so there would be customer Karen complaints, and they'd get ragged in the consumer reports and JD power type rags.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'll add, on SFA with the panhard/track, you HAVE to lower the panhard bar the same amount that you lower the steering cross over. otherwise you get very bad bump steer. On my 250 there is about a 2" different in height over a 10" drop, so very slight, but evident, and that bump steer is pretty bad, it makes a big difference. I am at least used to it enough that I know how much bump steer I'll get when I approach a bump or dip at speed and can properly correct for it.
I converted a Jeep Cherokee to right hand drive for my mail carrier wife. Tie rod ran the opposite direction of the panhard rod, made for some interesting bump steer, not actually horrible as they both were about level and it was driven only on road.

Deleted member 3063

Really like what I'm seeing from Ford in the rear suspension. Nice long panhard bar and the sturdy looking lower links and the mounts for both. Longer the panhard bar = less side to side axle movement. Looking forward to see how they are controling axle wrap.

I do think lift kits will screw the geometry by raising the body mount side (Left) and taking the panhard bar out of level. Going out or level, up or down, effectively shortens the bar slightly shifting the axle left taking the rear out of alignment in relation to the front. Higher the lift = more deflection. Lift kits will need to remedy this.

Installed a panhard kit on my SVT Mustang's 3 link and it was probably the best suspension upgrade I made. It put the car on rails. With the adjustable bar I am able to tune the rear to turn better left or right depending on the track.

Last edited by a moderator:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

ok, so I can already see the improvements I would be making right off the bat. replace the link arms. either swap to heim joints, or a link with a twist joint in the middle.

the articulation is limited by how much those links can twist in their mounts. since those appear to be fairly wide and solid mounts, it means that it is limited by the max deflection of the bushings. which isn't much.

Also, the upper connection for the upper links is too low for larger tires.

So, I'd replace the links with customer links with heims most likely. Possibly rearrange some brackets to increase the height of upper links same time as they get replaced. While doing this, it may be possible to angle those links, and lengthen them. if that can be done enough, then just swap to triangulated 4-link and trash the panhard.

I guess to keep it under warranty I would just replace the links with the ones with heims, and put the stockers back in if there needs to be warranty work. I don't think they can do the heims from the factory due to longevity, they do not last as long as a solid bushed unit like this, and they have a bit more slop as well so there would be customer Karen complaints, and they'd get ragged in the consumer reports and JD power type rags.
Perhaps the 200 plus dealer installed Ford accessories that do not void the warranty will answer your concern?

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Perhaps the 200 plus dealer installed Ford accessories that do not void the warranty will answer your concern?
very possible, obviously a wait and see.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

that is called the panhard or track bar. it is what provides the side to side location of the axle. there are two trailing arms that provide front to back, and of course the coil springs the up to down location. leaf springs didn't need one, they can provide location in all three. basically it is a 3 link suspension.
I had thought earlier that the videos said 5 link ( 4 trailing arms and track/panhard bar) and this is what I thought the Bronco was going to get. But later in this thread I noticed the talk of zooming in on the suspension pick and it dawned on me it does look like 3 trailing arms (2 lower, 1 upper). (y)(y)

The other thing I wanted to point out about the suspension pic is, there are no coil spring buckets on the rear so, for those you do not "cruise" this forum much, It has coil overs all the way around. (y)(y)

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had thought earlier that the videos said 5 link ( 4 trailing arms and track/panhard bar) and this is what I thought the Bronco was going to get. But later in this thread I noticed the talk of zooming in on the suspension pick and it dawned on me it does look like 3 trailing arms (2 lower, 1 upper). (y)(y)

The other thing I wanted to point out about the suspension pic is, there are no coil spring buckets on the rear so, for those you do not "cruise" this forum much, It has coil overs all the way around. (y)(y)
yeah, it looks to be a parallel 4-link w/ panhard. not bad, not great. alot better than any other stock setup though

Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Today’s Teaser: 2021 Bronco Rear End 94BCFBCE-5AD2-40B0-82F0-B4B7B6504ADD

I was just going through my old pic stash and spotted that too. Never realized it was there the whole time.

Spare tire delete doesn’t look too bad either.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Today’s Teaser: 2021 Bronco Rear End 94BCFBCE-5AD2-40B0-82F0-B4B7B6504ADD

I was just going through my old pic stash and spotted that too. Never realized it was there the whole time.

Spare tire delete doesn’t look too bad either.
It won't look great. Those two rectangles are vents that can't be blocked off. If you do, the doors won't shut well and your ears will probably hurt when you get in lol

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It won't look great. Those two rectangles are vents that can't be blocked off. If you do, the doors won't shut well and your ears will probably hurt when you get in lol
I guess this is the soft top too.
Sponsored