Sponsored

What is the "Production" Process that begins on March 29th?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Dealer mannequins will be built until early June. Customer orders start after those are done.
Sponsored

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I'll try to hammer this out, but less "sorber" and trying to type on a phone with fat fingers.
1st thing that happens is body construction. Our shop runs approximately 29 units an hour and usually has around 200 to 250 units in the shop at any given moment. So, let's estimate

OK, sorber now (lol)

Keep in mind, that each plant is engineered to run at a different rate, as well as having differing conveyor capacities and other factors that will be unique to that facility.

I would say that body construction and painting take a day , and final assembly a day, so 2 days total, maybe more if production isn't scheduled for a full 10 hours per shift.

First thing, The body is constructed. We receive all the body parts individually stamped out, and then weld (rivet, in the case of the F series and the Expy/Nav) each sub-assembly together. Each sub is built up on its own, separate assembly line (doors, tailgate, hood, underbody, bodysides, front structure, etc), and then all brought together and welded(riveted) into a cab. I estimate 12 hours from start to sending it to the paint shop. Here is where my realm of expertise ends.

Paint, I think takes about another 12 hours or so. When we ship the body to the paint shop, it is riding on a pair of metal "skids" along traditional roll beds/tables and conveyors, moving along the floor. Paint dept will hang the skids by chains to an overhead conveyor that, as it rolls along, it travels uphill and downhill through a series of tanks that etch the metal, then electro-coat the metal, rinse with de ionized water. Then, back to the floor conveyors, it is scuffed and primed. Run through an oven to bake the primer, scuffed, then run through the paint booth. Paint is actually "slung" onto the body, not "sprayed" in 2 or 3 coats (its been a while since I've worked in that dept, so I may be behind the times), then clear coat is applied directly onto the wet paint, then it is run through an oven to bake the finish. From here the painted body is sent to a giant "stacker". Bodies are stacked from floor to ceiling in individual "cubbies"(for lack of a better term) probably 10 to 15 high, and 15 or 20 along in a run, and are placed/retrieved by elevator equipped cranes that run along the floor.
1616376295840.png
This, but only painted bodies on skids. One crane has 2 "runs", and we have at least 2, maybe 3 cranes. Based on the build schedule, they pick, and place bodies onto the conveyor in the order of the schedule. Off to final assembly.

I'd say maybe 2 shifts for final assembly, but that certainly ain't the gospel. Around the time the body starts the final assembly phase, the chassis will begin to be built on on a separate line. As I mentioned before, first thing, the doors are removed and sent to be built up. The same doors will ultimately come back to the same body. Now we start installing the wiring harnesses, the modules that are all tucked away behind the interior panels, the interior trim, carpet (rubberized washout for me please), radiator, instrument panel, seats, (in the case of Bronco, the roof), headlights, etc. Meanwhile the chassis is getting all its goodies, starting with the suspension, then the motor/tranny (sent over from being mated up together on a separate line), wheels(from the tire line), bumpers, fuel tank, etc. The body is then set onto the chassis on the final chassis line where assemblers tie the whole thing together, fill the brake system, A/C system, cooling system, electrical tests, fuel, all the little stickers and motor covers.
Then alignment, headlight aim, inspections, water test, window stickers, throw the floor mats in the back and out the door to final delivery.

From here, it could sit in a parking lot for a week, maybe a month if we are waiting on some parts. As far as shipping and delivery, I haven't a clue.

At around 2:10, you'll see the "command center". I'm not the dude looking at the screens, but I'm the guy that develops the screens that displays the data he's looking at. I've also done robot programming, machine programming, and general electrical maintenance. Later on in the video, you'll see the 3D printer that printed my DIY fender badges.

Again, this was probably overdone, but I said I would get back with you.
I think you need to be in contact discovery or another content distributor for a tv show on making cars. I think all the work is done just have to get some video to show with narration.

This is an outstanding break down.

Vinny6G

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, I was so fascinated by that production line video. Could have watched hours of that!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I'll try to hammer this out, but less "sorber" and trying to type on a phone with fat fingers.
1st thing that happens is body construction. Our shop runs approximately 29 units an hour and usually has around 200 to 250 units in the shop at any given moment. So, let's estimate

OK, sorber now (lol)

Keep in mind, that each plant is engineered to run at a different rate, as well as having differing conveyor capacities and other factors that will be unique to that facility.

I would say that body construction and painting take a day , and final assembly a day, so 2 days total, maybe more if production isn't scheduled for a full 10 hours per shift.

First thing, The body is constructed. We receive all the body parts individually stamped out, and then weld (rivet, in the case of the F series and the Expy/Nav) each sub-assembly together. Each sub is built up on its own, separate assembly line (doors, tailgate, hood, underbody, bodysides, front structure, etc), and then all brought together and welded(riveted) into a cab. I estimate 12 hours from start to sending it to the paint shop. Here is where my realm of expertise ends.

Paint, I think takes about another 12 hours or so. When we ship the body to the paint shop, it is riding on a pair of metal "skids" along traditional roll beds/tables and conveyors, moving along the floor. Paint dept will hang the skids by chains to an overhead conveyor that, as it rolls along, it travels uphill and downhill through a series of tanks that etch the metal, then electro-coat the metal, rinse with de ionized water. Then, back to the floor conveyors, it is scuffed and primed. Run through an oven to bake the primer, scuffed, then run through the paint booth. Paint is actually "slung" onto the body, not "sprayed" in 2 or 3 coats (its been a while since I've worked in that dept, so I may be behind the times), then clear coat is applied directly onto the wet paint, then it is run through an oven to bake the finish. From here the painted body is sent to a giant "stacker". Bodies are stacked from floor to ceiling in individual "cubbies"(for lack of a better term) probably 10 to 15 high, and 15 or 20 along in a run, and are placed/retrieved by elevator equipped cranes that run along the floor.
1616376295840.png
This, but only painted bodies on skids. One crane has 2 "runs", and we have at least 2, maybe 3 cranes. Based on the build schedule, they pick, and place bodies onto the conveyor in the order of the schedule. Off to final assembly.

I'd say maybe 2 shifts for final assembly, but that certainly ain't the gospel. Around the time the body starts the final assembly phase, the chassis will begin to be built on on a separate line. As I mentioned before, first thing, the doors are removed and sent to be built up. The same doors will ultimately come back to the same body. Now we start installing the wiring harnesses, the modules that are all tucked away behind the interior panels, the interior trim, carpet (rubberized washout for me please), radiator, instrument panel, seats, (in the case of Bronco, the roof), headlights, etc. Meanwhile the chassis is getting all its goodies, starting with the suspension, then the motor/tranny (sent over from being mated up together on a separate line), wheels(from the tire line), bumpers, fuel tank, etc. The body is then set onto the chassis on the final chassis line where assemblers tie the whole thing together, fill the brake system, A/C system, cooling system, electrical tests, fuel, all the little stickers and motor covers.
Then alignment, headlight aim, inspections, water test, window stickers, throw the floor mats in the back and out the door to final delivery.

From here, it could sit in a parking lot for a week, maybe a month if we are waiting on some parts. As far as shipping and delivery, I haven't a clue.

At around 2:10, you'll see the "command center". I'm not the dude looking at the screens, but I'm the guy that develops the screens that displays the data he's looking at. I've also done robot programming, machine programming, and general electrical maintenance. Later on in the video, you'll see the 3D printer that printed my DIY fender badges.

Wow! Thank you for that explanation. I appreciate you taking the time to type that up and give everyone like me a better understanding of the process!

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Units built after March 29 will not go to the crusher after their time in the sun.
From what I understand, official Job 1 for units to be sold to customers is on May 3rd. Units built in between CAN be sold to retail customers, but will be mannequins for the dealers that can eventually be sold to the public (I may be wrong on that though) , company leases for folks who's job title entitles them to such a nice perk, and other such vehicles than CAN officially be sold.

I don't know a lot about all the scheduling as far as when they start building what, but I do know we receive a broadcast from corporate that gives us the build order. And that system is set up ON a schedule, to broadcast the build schedule. So it all comes down to someone up north flipping the switch, or scheduling the scheduler.

The way the systems are set up now, its takes some effort to build out of the order we are sent. All major components arrive to the assembly line in the order of the build sequence.
For example: a unit with a rotation number of "0453" has been through body construction and paint. First thing that's done is the doors are removed (easier on Bronco than anything I've seen built!) and sent to a separate line for final assembly. Somewhere on the first line, they find out a welded in nut is missing and the unit has to be pulled off for repair (Most things are repaired as they go down the line, but some require off line repairs).
When that unit is removed from the sequence, we have to notify every final build area that we have a skip. Anything that goes onto the cab has to be pulled aside; the doors, instrument panel, grille, front facia, headlights, tail lights, and whole number of other things. The chassis will go ahead and get built and then put aside to wait for the cab. Opposite if something happens to the chassis. Pull the wheels, bumper, motor, transmission, and set the cab aside. If something happens to the doors, you build the rest and put them aside to be reinserted.

You get the idea, It's a real headache.

And one hiccup in the supply chain, we end up renting out all of the parking lots in the area, build what we can, then park them while they wait for wiper arms, console lids, or what ever it is we are waiting on.

I think that might have been way overdone as a reply, But it pains me to go back and delete it all. When I see/hear complaints about why this or why not that, it makes me chuckle and think "thats not the way world works", at least not here...LOL. Its a welcome change for someone to ask how the sausage is made.
Wow, that is very complicated! My hubby and I were just discussing this topic over the weekend, actually. When it comes to complicated manufacturing processes, we don't know what we don't know!

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealer mannequins will be built until early June. Customer orders start after those are done.
There are only about 4000 or so Ford dealerships in the U.S. If they all get 2 mannequins each, that should only take about 14 days, building them at the rate of 32 an hour.

I think they are designed to run more than that per hour, and my math is being very generous to allow time for new launch hiccups. On May 3rd, they should be pretty dang close to full production speed.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This assumes there will be no problems and they get the OK to buy from the jump. Ford is known for having first run of new model issues. As evidence I offer the 2020 Explorer from the Chicago assembly plant.
Not that there won’t be problems, but the Explorer was a clean sheet build with the plant also stripped to the walls and reconfigured from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive architecture. That plant has also had a history of issues where MAP has a history of excellent production. Add to the that the Bronco is a derivative of the current well built Ranger and we have reason for hope that the plant itself won’t be a hold up. Chips, tops and other supply issues , the fear is real 😢

Sponsored

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base

OK, sorber now (lol)

1616376295840.png

All those details bring back memories...mostly good ones. I worked the line (Ford Mahwah) in the late 70 and 80's..we could do a unit from start to finish in a 8 hour shift..our vehicle never left a moving line on long metal skids,except for the sequence elevator...we never had to deal with chips or computers...we had all the different lines that had to mess at one point...and yes,seeing a unit start up and drive off the line was really cool...if we ordered a vehicle being built at our plant..we got to walk along the lines and watch our car being built...yes these were the tough good days at Ford...Thanks

Last edited:

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All those details bring back memories...mostly good ones. I worked the line (Ford Mahwah) in the late 70 and 80's..we could do a unit from start to finish in a 8 hour shift..our vehicle never left a moving line on long metal skids,except for the sequence elevator...we never had to deal with chips or computers...we had all the different lines that had to mess at one point...and yes,seeing a unit start up and drive off the line was really cool...if we ordered a vehicle being built at our plant..we got to walk along the lines and watch our car being built...yes these were the tough good days at Ford...
My dad retired from the Atlanta Assembly Plant with 42 years. Some of the stories he tells from the old days sound about like that. I remember being a kid and going to open house and seeing him while the line was running. Me and my brother both ended up working there, but I'm the only one to stick around after they closed the plant in '06. I worked the line for 4 years before I got into the trades.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love the assembly video... now if ya could show everyone what it takes to build each fixture, setup and program each bot and maintain each line... lol

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are many assembly video on YouTube...very interesting to watch...old and new..

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love the assembly video... now if ya could show everyone what it takes to build each fixture, setup and program each bot and maintain each line... lol
That would take me MONTHS...LOL! But, what else am I doing while I wait for Bronco to arrive?

Here is a quick video of the new conveyor system that is being used in the MAP body shop. Mag-lev like the train at Disney. No motors, gear boxes etc.

Here's how to unbox and setup your new Fanuc robotic arm

This is a more exciting video of the F150 production. It shows the truck being rotated upside down as it goes through a dip process in the paint dept.
Sponsored