First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really hope you're not an engineer. A bash plate is more or less a beam. For simplicity let's model it as a cantilevered beam with distributed loading.

The deflection is equal to (q*L^4)/(8*E*I)

q = distributed load [N/unit length]
L = length

Now this is where it gets important:
E = Young's Modulus a material property.
I = the moment of inertia of the cross section

SO - it absolutely matters how "strong" the material is. E is of the same order as the force and the geometry of the cross section (which is why as you mentioned they add ribs)

Another important material property for how "strong" it is, is the yield strength. If a piece exceeds the yield strength it is then plastically deforming, meaning it won't bounce back to it's original shape.

Steels have a much higher E and yield strength than aluminum (~2x) . So an equally "strong" plate of aluminum would have to have a larger (or different shaped) cross section. However, Aluminum is roughly 1/3rd of the density of steel so you even though the volume is more there are still weight savings to be had.

It's a fun trade study when you factor in strength, material cost, and weight.
I mis-spoke, I should have said:
"it doesnt matter how TOUGH a material is"
Thats my whole point, it doesnt matter if you can shoot it with a gun and it survives, if its floppy, or even semi-rigid, it wont protect your transfer case.
IMO this is the wrong application for this material.
And I struggle to see any application for it in off road hobby, unless its for racing off road.
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the disconnect here is that when you develop lightweight parts for racing mustangs, there is a whole different set of priorities - than from product development for off road.

A track car disintegrates when it takes a hit.

An off road hobby car needs to take a hit and keep going, so your weekend isnt spoiled.

Two completely different approached to product need to happen for these 2 different applications.

That said, cool styling of fenders in carbon would sell because people like to decorate their Broncos, show off carbon that is saving weight for no apparent reason, because it looks cool.
Right - there are two completely different set of priorities. Race cars also use aluminum as underbody shields - but yet your ok using that material under your truck?

So if you're developing an underbody bash plate - you have different design criteria.

I mis-spoke, I should have said:
"it doesnt matter how TOUGH a material is"
Thats my whole point, it doesnt matter if you can shoot it with a gun and it survives, if its floppy, or even semi-rigid, it wont protect your transfer case.
IMO this is the wrong application for this material.
And I struggle to see any application for it in off road hobby, unless its for racing off road.
And that's exactly my point. You know nothing about this material. What is it's Young's modulus, yield strength, ultimate strength? I don't know but you don't either.

Number two what is it's geometry? I don't know and you don't either. If the entire thing is printed as I beam it's not going to deflect much compared to a flat panel.

My point is you're conflating what you "know" with actually doing R&D and creating a product.

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I seem to remember running the front and mid panels without the rear was already possible. Though one of the Broncos ran that way at Rubicon. I may be wrong though.
I remember seeing that, which reminded me of cruising with the top off in my '89. I believe that was on a 4-door though and not possible on the 2-door. Would love to be wrong about that if you can find pics or more info.

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right - there are two completely different set of priorities. Race cars also use aluminum as underbody shields - but yet your ok using that material under your truck?

So if you're developing an underbody bash plate - you have different design criteria.

And that's exactly my point. You know nothing about this material. What is it's Young's modulus, yield strength, ultimate strength? I don't know but you don't either.

Number two what is it's geometry? I don't know and you don't either. If the entire thing is printed as I beam it's not going to deflect much compared to a flat panel.

My point is you're conflating what you "know" with actually doing R&D and creating a product.
Yes, Im absolutely conflating based on my experience with composite development.
Maybe this is a wonder material !! Let's hope!
it could save the world....

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, Im absolutely conflating based on my experience with composite development.
Maybe and if it is you know it's going to be $$$$$$!

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BD Sas, 07 BMW 335i, 02 Cooper S JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Given that the Sas average may not break 20 mpg, a larger gas tank would be great.

Angled front kick panels that can house a small sub and 2-way mid/high given the open air loss of stereo sound. or Sub enclosure for under the front seats is there is room.
A pillar tweeter mounts.

Stealthy bracket for under the hood LED light(s).

A solid roof rack lift system that will allow you to lift your entire rack with all attached accessories to access and remove or install sections of your roof without having to remove your entire rack.

Looking forward to experiencing your enhancements!

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I second the step mounts for the factory rock rails! It would be awesome to be able to add a step and keep the functionality and looks of the factory rock rails. I'm sure replacement grills is also on your radar. It will be cool to see what's in demand that you can come up with!

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
One of its uses is in NASCAR and other racing cars. A 3mm thick panel is used to line the door sections as anti-intrusion panels. This 3mm thick panel keeps any sharp objects from entering through the door panel area and injuring the driver. The collision tests were run at 200 mph by sanctioning bodies.

That type of protection potential grows exponentially once you go to 10mm thick. A 12"x12" square x .40" thick piece weighs in at about 12oz. Below are two Solidworks renderings of brackets that were manufactured for race teams. It's machinable, like steel and aluminum. You can also mechanically fixture it to... say the frame of a vehicle.

Milled Carbon Composite 1.jpg

Milled Carbon Composite 2.jpg

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@EIGHTLUG @Lorenzo I'm just a fly on the wall at this point but one thing I think might aid this discussion is if we could get an idea of how the specific stiffness of your material compares to steel and aluminum alloys, since it seems like elastic deformation is the point of contention here.

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@EIGHTLUG @Lorenzo I'm just a fly on the wall at this point but one thing I think might aid this discussion is if we could get an idea of how the specific stiffness of your material compares to steel and aluminum alloys, since it seems like elastic deformation is the point of contention here.
I feel that this topic really needs its own thread. ;)

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
precisely

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of its uses is in NASCAR and other racing cars. A 3mm thick panel is used to line the door sections as anti-intrusion panels. This 3mm thick panel keeps any sharp objects from entering through the door panel area and injuring the driver. The collision tests were run at 200 mph by sanctioning bodies.

That type of protection potential grows exponentially once you go to 10mm thick. A 12"x12" square x .40" thick piece weighs in at about 12oz. Below are two Solidworks renderings of brackets that were manufactured for race teams. It's machinable, like steel and aluminum. You can also mechanically fixture it to... say the frame of a vehicle.

Ford Bronco ARCHETYPE RACING is moving into BRONCO parts Milled Carbon Composite 2

Ford Bronco ARCHETYPE RACING is moving into BRONCO parts Milled Carbon Composite 2
Strong stuff, still doesnt answer the deflection question.
Protecting a NASCAR driver from piercing objects is a completely different type of stress than structural.
Its like comparing a bullet proof vest to airplane landing gear
Sponsored