bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford transit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

i have ordered OBX it comes with an open rear axle when you put it in 2wheel drive which 2wheels are active. also when you put it in 4wheel drive does it activate all 4 wheels and if so why do you need locking front or rear axles if all 4 wheels are pulling.
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i have ordered OBX it comes with an open rear axle when you put it in 2wheel drive which 2wheels are active. also when you put it in 4wheel drive does it activate all 4 wheels and if so why do you need locking front or rear axles if all 4 wheels are pulling.
Or.... I can delete all that garbage and post this:

Ford Bronco locking axles 1616758218854

Ford Bronco locking axles 1616758311458

Last edited:

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2wd will be the rear axle.
With open differentials when it's in 4wd both axles will get power. But in low traction situations, if a wheel spins that wheel will get all the power and the other won't be pushing at all. Locking differentials lock the wheels on that axle together, so if one spins the other will get power to pull you free.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you haven't seen this video yet. It is an informative watch.. Start at 2:18. Also, it is widely speculated that the computer would activate some type of limited slip in addition to a physical limited slip. The GOAT modes should also assist in that aspect.

Last edited:

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this a real post? are you completely new to the 4WD community? It feels like a troll. If not never post on pirate4x4.com!!!

Sponsored

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Skinny pedal 2wd open is more 1 wheel than you!!!!

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is this a real post? are you completely new to the 4WD community? It feels like a troll. If not never post on pirate4x4.com!!!
Considering the post is from back in 2021, perhaps he's no longer new to the offroad community.

Sponsored

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Or.... I can delete all that garbage and post this:

An Open Differential is just that, open, w/power going to but one wheel. If you've ever gotten stuck, like in snow, you will only see one wheel spinning.

A Locker Differential, when disabled, is Open, just like on an open differential.
When engaged via an electrical/pneumatic/or vacuum switch, it is Locked, w/both wheels Locked as in one solid axle. There is no disengagement when turning a corner, and as such can only be used Off-Road on a loose/slippery surface, such as on dirt and gravel, snow, ice, and rain (heavy).

Finally, there is a Limited-Slip Differential which is always engage, using a clutch, where one wheel is allowed to disengage when you make a turn. It can be used on all road conditions, including on gravel and dry pavement, though it not as strong as a Locker, especially w/big wheels/tires, and under extreme conditions such as heavy offroading.

Now there are an assortment of different differentials in between, w/Open Differentials using the brakes to apply pressure to the spinning wheel, in order to help transfer power to the non-spinning wheel. That's become pretty much the standard norm w/many vehicles now-a-days, w/an assortment of different names. I had a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport which said that it had a Limited-Slip Rear End, when in fact it simply used the brakes to control the traction.
Then there are Lockers which are always engaged, which uses a spring to help disengage one wheel when making a turn. They tend to be noisy and can eat up tires over time.

The Bronco comes w/models, including w/Open Front and Rear, such as on the Basic model, a Locker Rear w/an Open Front, such as on the Black Diamond, and a Locker on both the Front and Rear, such as on the Badlands.
I don't know if Ford incorporates any traction control using the brakes.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An Open Differential is just that, open, w/power going to but one wheel. If you've ever gotten stuck, like in snow, you will only see one wheel spinning.

A Locker Differential, when disabled, is Open, just like on an open differential.
When engaged via an electrical/pneumatic/or vacuum switch, it is Locked, w/both wheels Locked as in one solid axle. There is no disengagement when turning a corner, and as such can only be used Off-Road on a loose/slippery surface, such as on dirt and gravel, snow, ice, and rain (heavy).

Finally, there is a Limited-Slip Differential which is always engage, using a clutch, where one wheel is allowed to disengage when you make a turn. It can be used on all road conditions, including on gravel and dry pavement, though it not as strong as a Locker, especially w/big wheels/tires, and under extreme conditions such as heavy offroading.

Now there are an assortment of different differentials in between, w/Open Differentials using the brakes to apply pressure to the spinning wheel, in order to help transfer power to the non-spinning wheel. That's become pretty much the standard norm w/many vehicles now-a-days, w/an assortment of different names. I had a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport which said that it had a Limited-Slip Rear End, when in fact it simply used the brakes to control the traction.
Then there are Lockers which are always engaged, which uses a spring to help disengage one wheel when making a turn. They tend to be noisy and can eat up tires over time.

The Bronco comes w/models, including w/Open Front and Rear, such as on the Basic model, a Locker Rear w/an Open Front, such as on the Black Diamond, and a Locker on both the Front and Rear, such as on the Badlands.
I don't know if Ford incorporates any traction control using the brakes.
Your Locker definition didn't cove mechanical lockers which "ratchet" and let the outside tire outrun the ring gear, but never let's one go slower than the ring gear. And lunchbox lockers which explode.

Then of course there are spools and mini spools... and the "Lincoln " locker where you weld your spider gears....

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your Locker definition didn't cove mechanical lockers which "ratchet" and let the outside tire outrun the ring gear, but never let's one go slower than the ring gear. And lunchbox lockers which explode.

Then of course there are spools and mini spools... and the "Lincoln " locker where you weld your spider gears....
Yes I did:

Quote: "Then there are Lockers which are always engaged, which uses a spring to help disengage one wheel when making a turn. They tend to be noisy and can eat up tires over time."

If that's what you are talking about?

There's a wide assortment of different kinds out there.

As for the "Lincoln " locker where you weld your spider gears.... Those are just modified open differentials, used strictly for offroad. including dirt racing I believe.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stand corrected.