Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm OK with either, but the choice will come down to what paring Ford allows. I want low gears and the 7sp MT. I will not be pulling boats or driving top end on the interstate, so HP is not a vital concern. I imagine MPG may also play a part if there is a huge margin between the two. Price as well.

I'm getting a 2dr, so less weight and I would assume less of an issue.

If the 4cyl comes with the MT, low gears, better MPG, and cheaper, then it will be an easy pick. I doubt though it's going to be that easy.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Laminar, you are exactly correct. The 2.3 EcoBoost and the 2.3 Duratec are virtually identical short blocks. The reason that the Duratec, as well as the "turbo Duratec" EcoBoost almost always spin rod #3 is that the oil galleys are incorrectly designed and tend not to properly lubricate the entire engine.
A Ford Duratec engine is essentially a Mazda MZR engine which has a closed deck Al block, iron liners, forged steel crankshaft, powder metal rods.

The current Ford Ecoboost 2.3L is a totally revised design based on the twin scroll Ecoboost 2.0L. It is not the older 2.3L Ecoboost based on the MZR . It has a ladder frame reinforced open deck Al block, chromoly liners, forged chromoly crankshaft, forged steel rods. This engine has been used since 2015.

The engines are quite different.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You are correct; the burden of proof is on me. I can't be arsed to provide a ton of evidence, but here are a few examples of what I'm talking about..

Examples of low-mileage failures:

https://www.ecoboostmustang.org/forum/issues-problems/7729-spun-rod-bearing.html

https://www.ecoboostmustang.org/for...y-blew-head-gasket-my-15-eco-stang-31k-2.html
Thank you for providing a couple of examples of the problem you're referencing. The second one seems to be more than just the thrown bearing you were originally referencing. There seems to be discussion of a blown head gasket in addition to the possibly thrown bearing.

Two examples do not a pattern make, but they do at least add evidence beyond your personal experience. More data is a good thing.

Here's an example of the power discrepancy I mentioned -- keep in mind that this is measuring RWHP and Ford measures BHP which will account for some but not all of the discrepancy:

-- That's about 287BHP assuming the dyno is properly calibrated and the car is running a 6r80 transmission. 92% of rated HP, which is actually pretty impressively high compared to some that I've seen.

-- About 255BHP The uploader said his dyno "wasn't putting out the right numbers" but also said it was correct on everything else he ran that day. 82% of rated HP is a bit lower than usual. Most that I've seen dyno out somewhere between the two videos shown.
So here's where I'm going to admit that I'm not a car guy, so I'm hardly an expert on these things. I do know that there's a difference between bhp and whp (but not how much), and I'm kind of OK at Googling stuff. I found this article, which indicates that wheel horsepower is usually "around" 15% less than brake horsepower.

It seems to me that the 92% figure from the first video is excellent if the "15% less" from the article is a reliable figure, and the 82% figure from the second video, while disappointing, is not necessarily outside of the margin of error (the article doesn't give a margin of error, but 18% less is not that much more than 15% less, so I'm going with it).

The real disappointment to me, then, would be the large difference between two identical vehicles.

That's about all the evidence I can be bothered to provide and it's obviously anecdotal. Since I'm just here to have a conversation and not a debate, that's the extent of my interest in "proving" what I gave as personal observations. Since most of my opinions are formed based on my own experience doing mechanical work, my views will necessarily be filtered through that experience.
That's a perfectly legitimate filter to use for making personal decisions, but it's not necessarily a great filter to use for making broad statements.

I have enjoyed our conversation to this point, but the employment of debate tactics, correct though they may be, has somewhat tempered my interest in continuing the conversation which I did not intend to be an argument. My desire to debate you further is approximately the same as my desire to rush out and buy a 2.3 EcoBoost. Heck, the ol' attention deficit is kicking in and I'm getting kinda bored of this topic altogether :)
Again, thank you for providing some evidence to back up your claims. I was never looking to change your mind or anyone else's. I just wanted more information about a new-to-me problem of an engine I've considered getting, whether it's in a Bronco or a Ranger. I'm willing to let it go at this point.

Sponsored

TroutTrooper

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fiesta ST, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1988 Ranger (SVO swap), 1974 Super Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For me it's going to come down to whether or not I can pair the 2.7 with the 7MT and whether or not it's a line-item option and not part of a package.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So here's where I'm going to admit that I'm not a car guy, so I'm hardly an expert on these things. I do know that there's a difference between bhp and whp (but not how much), and I'm kind of OK at Googling stuff. I found this article, which indicates that wheel horsepower is usually "around" 15% less than brake horsepower.

It seems to me that the 92% figure from the first video is excellent if the "15% less" from the article is a reliable figure, and the 82% figure from the second video, while disappointing, is not necessarily outside of the margin of error (the article doesn't give a margin of error, but 18% less is not that much more than 15% less, so I'm going with it).

The real disappointment to me, then, would be the large difference between two identical vehicles.
Dynos are only a tool. Every dyno reads different and can be setup to read different by the operator. You should really only compare dyno readings from the same dyno on the same day. Temperature and humidity play a big part in how much power you can make. As well as if the car was heat soaked, or had cold air blowing in the intake. You'll make way more power at 0 ft elevation and cold outside than if you 5,000 ft up and it's 100.

CarreraX

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E30 M3, 993 C4S, GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Im still on the fence as to the 2.3/2.7. I really want a manual so that means a 2.3 but I would also like the power of the 2.7 but my main issue is I heard the 10sp autos arent good transmissions. Clunky shifting etc. A guy that works with me has a 2019 F150 with it and it is honestly terrible to drive. If I had more confidence in the auto I would go that route and get the 2.7. Also curious what a tune and DP would do to the 2.3 power wise? Hmm....Ill probably go 2.3 and just get as much power as I can out of it.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Im still on the fence as to the 2.3/2.7. I really want a manual so that means a 2.3 but I would also like the power of the 2.7 but my main issue is I heard the 10sp autos arent good transmissions. Clunky shifting etc. A guy that works with me has a 2019 F150 with it and it is honestly terrible to drive. If I had more confidence in the auto I would go that route and get the 2.7. Also curious what a tune and DP would do to the 2.3 power wise? Hmm....Ill probably go 2.3 and just get as much power as I can out of it.
I've heard the opposite about the 10 speed transmissions. They're allegedly rock solid and reliable, at least according to the folks over on the Ranger5G forums, although I have seen complaints that they hunt for gears a lot.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 for the 7MT, provided no last minute surprises.

Sponsored

CarreraX

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E30 M3, 993 C4S, GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've heard the opposite about the 10 speed transmissions. They're allegedly rock solid and reliable, at least according to the folks over on the Ranger5G forums, although I have seen complaints that they hunt for gears a lot.
Im more talking about shifting smoothly, gear hunting etc. Not so much about reliability. The guy I work with has it in his 2019 F150 but he has a V8 so maybe its different?

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Im more talking about shifting smoothly, gear hunting etc. Not so much about reliability. The guy I work with has it in his 2019 F150 but he has a V8 so maybe its different?
Like I said, I have heard that they hunt gears, but the guys over on the Ranger forum seem to like the 10-speed other than that. It's mated to a 2.3L EcoBoost in the Ranger, so maybe it's smoother there? Or maybe they just don't care that it shifts a little hard? I'm not sure.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee trail hawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7L and tune it. Because the 3.0L won’t be available till next year.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
2.7 is the first must have for me
Sponsored