Sponsored

Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays?

reaper5252006

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe a dumb question but.....Do you need the towing package to put cargo baskets on the back of the vehicle? (My thinking was Yes, because they would need to hook onto somewhere, I'm not doing a roof rack).
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe a dumb question but.....Do you need the towing package to put cargo baskets on the back of the vehicle? (My thinking was Yes, because they would need to hook onto somewhere, I'm not doing a roof rack).
For the kind that mounts into a tow receiver... you only need the receiver itself. If you only ever plan to utilize the receiver for racks, I would consider adding it after you take delivery for a significant reduction in cost.

The factory Tow Package includes the receiver as well as the wiring harness back to the front of the vehicle for trailer lighting and adding an electric brake controller later. You'd need the harness and connector if you want to tow a trailer.

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you'll need a hitch of some sort. Below you see the part of the basket that inserts into a trailer hitch

Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? 1617202377507

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have ordered the Ford factory tow package. In addition to the receiver and the 4/7 pin with the wiring harness, I am hoping to locate Broncoā€™s factory-fitted connector for attaching the brake controller. It may be located under the IP on the driverā€™s side. Redarc may have a brake controller harness suitable for the Bronco available this summer.

Ford/Lincoln suitable Tow-Pro Brake Controller Harness (TPH-006) ā€“ REDARC (redarcelectronics.com)

It might be interesting if a Bronco with the tow package is available for viewing somewhere in April/May. I bet someone could spot the connector. šŸ˜‰

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m not familiar with less than 3500 lb trailers with trailer brakes. All the single axle boat and landscape trailers I had that size didnā€™t have them. Iā€™m going to add a 4 pin pigtail and hitch after I get my bronco. Iā€™m surprised the 4 door isnā€™t rated for 5000lbs where I would brake controller would be used more.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m not familiar with less than 3500 lb trailers with trailer brakes. All the single axle boat and landscape trailers I had that size didnā€™t have them. Iā€™m going to add a 4 pin pigtail and hitch after I get my bronco. Iā€™m surprised the 4 door isnā€™t rated for 5000lbs where I would brake controller would be used more.
All the discussions around adding a brake controller are based on people looking to "adjust" that 3500lb rating.

(through different hitches, upgraded springs... etc etc etc... )

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All the discussions around adding a brake controller are based on people looking to "adjust" that 3500lb rating.

(through different hitches, upgraded springs... etc etc etc... )
Also a lot of the overlanding / off-road oriented camper trailers have trailer brakes. I don't have any experience with them but I'm guessing it may come in handy on some technical sections.

Ford Bronco Ditch the towing package for now and get one from Ford or aftermarket later to avoid any delays? 1617203697081

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also heard somewhere recently that Ford didn't exactly make it easy to install an aftermarket hitch. As in, doing so would almost certainly require cutting into the rear bumper. (Looking for the source, but seems like it was mentioned in a video sometime in the last week or two.)

Not a problem if you're going to remove the bumper anyway or are comfortable with that. Many of us aren't ready to do that just yet.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also a lot of the overlanding / off-road oriented camper trailers have trailer brakes. I don't have any experience with them but I'm guessing it may come in handy on some technical sections.

1617203697081.png
Great point.

My approach with my vehicles has always been to "future proof" or "over engineer"... Some might say I'm wasting money by spec'ing capability I may never use, but I see it the same way I see insurance. If I never use it I will have "thrown away" that money, but if I ever need it, it'll be there waiting for me.

I don't have a 7-pin on my wrangler, and I don't have plans to use it... but a little additional expense now to have the capability on my Bronco will at least let me drive around that much more smug.

Last edited:

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also heard somewhere recently that Ford didn't exactly make it easy to install an aftermarket hitch. As in, doing so would almost certainly require cutting into the rear bumper. (Looking for the source, but seems like it was mentioned in a video sometime in the last week or two.)

Not a problem if you're going to remove the bumper anyway or are comfortable with that. Many of us aren't ready to do that just yet.
The aftermarket companies will measure the ford version and have a CAD file real quick. If ford can make a bolt on so can anyone else.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hard to understand how this can cause delays.

I will caution the delete, tho'...not knowing how Ford does theirs. I had a Taco, (01, so not ancient) that needed towing added later. Couldn't not just connect the wiring nice and easy. Something about serial and parallel....needed a $150 wiring HARNESS that ran from under the dash, down the doorplates and thru the back...PITA.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The aftermarket companies will measure the ford version and have a CAD file real quick. If ford can make a bolt on so can anyone else.
I'm under the impression that the bolt on hitch is being installed before the bumper (and a lot of other things). Hence the possible the need to cut or remove the bumper to install an aftermarket option.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

1617203697081.png
My Patriot X1 has trailer brakes (weighs 3400lbs fully loaded with gear, water, diesel & food) and work fantastic when scaling or descending steep rocky climbs or shelf roads navigating to dispersed campsites. I use the Redarc in the wife's grand Cherokee and ford's oem brake controller in my f150 truck. The Redarc tow pro elite controller is legit and works amazing. That's what I'll be installing in the Bronco.

Last thing I want is to be yanked backwards or pushed down a rocky trails by the trailer.

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can someone explain what would customarily come with a towing package? Iā€™ve never had one. Never needed it. But I wonder about future proofing this ride - what would I need to add and what would it cost if five years later I want to drag a small teardrop trailer around with me?
On my Tacoma it's actually quite a package. Class IV hitch, 7 way trailer wire plug, oil and trans cooler and included trailer brake controller that's plug and play. But the Taco also tows 6500#, not 3500#.
Sponsored