ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I got finally got to see the Bronco in person today when they visited my hometown of Richmond, VA.

I’ve read a lot of these first impressions and some of the things I’ve read finally made sense. Reading is no substitute for seeing with your own eyes, so I suspect you’ll just need to see and feel it for yourself and formulate your own opinion.

I should say that I’m a die hard Ford fan and have owned several early and full sized Broncos along with a slew of other Ford products over the years.

My quick initial impressions:

1. Overall they look great in real life. I was giddy pulling the dealer and couldn’t stop grinning as I approached the tent and finally saw them.

2. 33” tires on the Badlands look very good and plenty big in person. Looking back at my pictures they look tiny, but they don’t look undersized at all when viewed in person. The 35’s do look better to me, but I would be fine with 33’s

3. The engine compartment certainly has a lot going on, but did not look as terrible as the photos may make it seem.

4. The interior had plenty of headroom and legroom both front and rear in the 4door, but was maybe tighter than I was expecting widthwise. Not uncomfortable, but certainly close quarters and nowhere near F-150 space. Similar to Ranger which is logical. I’m 6’1” & 225lbs. There was also easily another 5” of headroom in the soft top versions above my big head. There was a kid there who was 6’5” and he said he fit with no issues too.

5. The Sasquatch BD was very easy for me to get in and out of. I had expected it to be higher and more of a climb to get into.

6. As a huge Ford and Bronco enthusiast I really don’t want to be critical of anything, but to put it politely I feel that they chose function over form when it came to the interior. I do understand they designed this to be a serious top down off roader and prioritized the interior to be water resistant for off-roading and because folks will inevitably get caught in a downpour with the top and doors off. I liked the different feel of the “encapsulated” or rubberized switchgear on the dash and steering wheel and the seats were plenty comfy. Styling or design wise it all visually looks great, but the interior cargo area, dashboard, door panels, and center console were all hard, thin looking plastics. While this is probably the best option for not being damaged by water, to me the materials looked and felt kind of cheap, flimsy or chintzy. I noticed the center console grab handle was really flexy too. It pains me to type that stuff, but it was how I felt during the brief viewing. I’m just sharing my honest first impression. Just my .02

7. I wasn’t a huge fan of the marine grade vinyl. It was plenty soft and comfortable and again I’m sure it’ll do well serving the intended purpose of being water and mildew resistant, but it didn’t look particularly nice to me especially on a $50,000 or $60,000 machine. This is obviously a subjective thing.

8. The flip up feature of the soft top in the cargo area is brilliant. I briefly owned a ‘15 Wrangler with a soft top and HATED trying to load cargo in through the tailgate with the back window in place. A full bag of groceries would not go into the cargo area without turning it over on it’s side first. Rolling up the back vinyl window was tedious. The flip up clamshell top appears to address this problem very well.

9. As others have said, the factory soft top is not insulated and appears to be a single layer that leaves the metal framework exposed. The last time I looked at Jeep the base vinyl top is grey, looks cheap and doesn’t age well. While Bronco’s top looks far superior with the nice black cloth or twill exterior, it still looks a little utilitarian or unfinished on the inside. I suspect it’ll also be noticeably louder than a multi layer top. My wrangler had the optional “sun rider” top from Bestop that I think had 3 layers. Twill exterior which looks nice like the Bronco’s exterior, but with a layer of rubber presumably for insulation, noise deadening, and water proofing, and then an interior headliner layer to make it all look nice. I don’t remember any framework being visible.

10. I didn’t mind the “Bo” bar. Being OCD, it does bother me that it covers the Bronco on the grill but it still looks good. I think the redesign rumors are just rumor. I don’t see how they could lower it and not block the camera or raise it and not look goofy and/or still block some letters.

sorry for the long post. in summary, I’m still super stoked about the Bronco and can’t wait to take delivery of mine. Clearly the team at Ford put A LOT of thought into the details and succeeded in making significant and well thought out design improvements compared to the primary competitor. But a few aspects of the interior (and lack of a V8) were a little bit of a disappointment to me on what would otherwise be my dream vehicle.

here are the pics:
DD4DD177-ABAE-4B7C-8655-DCEB7BC65B8A.jpeg

327CCD58-CDF5-4B48-83E1-71E484ECB6D6.jpeg

7DA5AFE3-18F1-44E2-AB3C-C1DF0EDD02AC.jpeg

D414520A-5F64-4978-AFA3-482524CB106C.jpeg

56535AC7-74A9-49A3-BB94-5ADB2BCA579A.jpeg

8F686CF0-1D0D-418A-BB95-5740085BED66.jpeg

F1ADEFF4-869C-44E2-8E24-2E410E656972.jpeg

3B647017-ECEE-4A85-96FA-F4770AAAB445.jpeg

63DCCC9A-9BE2-444C-A945-71DEF262F80E.jpeg

A5DC7EC2-55DD-4B2F-9E95-5043ED03EA4D.jpeg

12EA6A84-7D80-4604-8189-B3710A623904.jpeg

BD drive away after the event:
Thank you for the time for pics and write up. More especially your ability to drop, or maybe "temper" is more accurate, the fandom. I'm a "Ford" person myself (from my dad) even though I have owned several brands, never a brand new Ford though.

Curious what you meant by "thin". Also, from touching things and moving things - do you feel like the inevitable rattles will happen sooner rather than later, etc? 👍
Sponsored

TroutTrooper

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fiesta ST, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1988 Ranger (SVO swap), 1974 Super Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really hope these aren't the same ones they bring to the NC event I signed up for (no VA ones close to me). Hoping to get to see a 2 door.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We have all heard horns that don't match a vehicle, but hearing this is a relief. I don't make a habit of using the horn indiscriminately, but when I do, I want the horn to sound purposeful.
Well, there's always...

Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond 1617541337552

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great write up!

for the MGV was there anything specific you didn't like, or more not what you'd expect for $60K?

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The comment on the feel of the center console grab handle just confirmed my plan. I am hoping aftermarket will come up with replacement items for that grab handle. Something maybe like a sunglasses holder and a small bit of storage area.

There's not much space there to still allow for the glove compartment to open but there's a little. Maybe just a sunglasses holder since you lose it with the aux switches. 3d printing is an option too.

Unless I'm missing something, that handle doesn't even seem very useful in that location.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

great write up!

for the MGV was there anything specific you didn't like, or more not what you'd expect for $60K?
The look and feel I guess. It was just different than I was expecting. I thought it was going to be thicker and more durable feeling. In hindsight it’s probably better the way it is. It was pretty soft and plush or compliant. Very comfortable during the brief experience. It’s just clearly apparent that it is a plastic/vinyl synthetic material.

so I guess like you said. Not what I’d expect for $60k. But I do realize that it has a very specific job to do. Water & mildew resistance.

Darrell

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time and effort to inform us about the new broncos. I thought the write up was great and your honesty of how you felt was truthful. Hopefully the aftermarket world will help correct some of the problems stated.

Scabieathrax

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was also at the Richmond Bronco event and i specifically asked one of the Bronco reps about the Brush Guard re-design and they mentioned they had heard the rumor but could not confirm or deny the rumor. I replied to them that the only way to get the brush guard to work would be to lower it and change the angle outward more and they nodded in agreement.

I did inquire about how removable the Bronco letters on the grille are and it was determined they are bolted on but it could not be confirmed without removing the grille.

I tried to see if there were any mounting points for the aftermarket or even the pre-production BYOD rails we have seen, the dash will have to be drilled to add those items.

Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond Dash

I am glad AMB Sasquatch was there. I have a 4x4 Silverado and getting into the BL felt find but the BD Sas i noticed i had to step up more to get into. I really wanted there to be a door sill protector to use rather than the paint.

I know the front plate location keeps moving around so i spent a good bit of time looking at where else to put the front plate and i determined i am going to mount mine on the skid plates.
Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond BD Bronco1

Last edited:

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks. That AMB Sasquatch video is officially at the top of my list.

Two big take aways for me

1. I know everyone is hyper focused on 33s vs 35s. Sure you can’t really tell that big of a difference when looking at the tires straight on. But what really sets the Sasquatch apart is the wider track/tires paired with the flares. Particularly when viewing the truck from the rear. There’s a huge difference. Only half of the tire overlaps with the body of the truck. It really looks like the chassis is taken off a bigger truck with a smaller cab mounted on top. It’s an aggressive look that you simply don’t get with a non sasquatched badlands.

2. Given I’m attempting to use this as a family hauler, after obsessing with interior dimensions and comparing it with other SUVs/trucks, I am not surprised by OPs feedback. Adequate legroom, huge headroom, but width wise it borders a compact/midsized suv. The numbers just aren’t there. Although I would hope the extra headroom and boxiness of the cabin with large side windows helps offset that. I doubt you’d get any claustrophobia, but that extra elbow room isn’t there. I’m sure it will make due for a long road trip for a family of 4, but it’s probably nothing even close to say an F150 where you could spread out.

OP do you agree with that on size? Does it seem doable for a long family trip?

Last edited:

RyanP

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I got finally got to see the Bronco in person today when they visited my hometown of Richmond, VA.

I’ve read a lot of these first impressions and some of the things I’ve read finally made sense. Reading is no substitute for seeing with your own eyes, so I suspect you’ll just need to see and feel it for yourself and formulate your own opinion.

I should say that I’m a die hard Ford fan and have owned several early and full sized Broncos along with a slew of other Ford products over the years.

My quick initial impressions:

1. Overall they look great in real life. I was giddy pulling the dealer and couldn’t stop grinning as I approached the tent and finally saw them.

2. 33” tires on the Badlands look very good and plenty big in person. Looking back at my pictures they look tiny, but they don’t look undersized at all when viewed in person. The 35’s do look better to me, but I would be fine with 33’s

3. The engine compartment certainly has a lot going on, but did not look as terrible as the photos may make it seem.

4. The interior had plenty of headroom and legroom both front and rear in the 4door, but was maybe tighter than I was expecting widthwise. Not uncomfortable, but certainly close quarters and nowhere near F-150 space. Similar to Ranger which is logical. I’m 6’1” & 225lbs. There was also easily another 5” of headroom in the soft top versions above my big head. There was a kid there who was 6’5” and he said he fit with no issues too.

5. The Sasquatch BD was very easy for me to get in and out of. I had expected it to be higher and more of a climb to get into.

6. As a huge Ford and Bronco enthusiast I really don’t want to be critical of anything, but to put it politely I feel that they chose function over form when it came to the interior. I do understand they designed this to be a serious top down off roader and prioritized the interior to be water resistant for off-roading and because folks will inevitably get caught in a downpour with the top and doors off. I liked the different feel of the “encapsulated” or rubberized switchgear on the dash and steering wheel and the seats were plenty comfy. Styling or design wise it all visually looks great, but the interior cargo area, dashboard, door panels, and center console were all hard, thin looking plastics. While this is probably the best option for not being damaged by water, to me the materials looked and felt kind of cheap, flimsy or chintzy. I noticed the center console grab handle was really flexy too. It pains me to type that stuff, but it was how I felt during the brief viewing. I’m just sharing my honest first impression. Just my .02

7. I wasn’t a huge fan of the marine grade vinyl. It was plenty soft and comfortable and again I’m sure it’ll do well serving the intended purpose of being water and mildew resistant, but it didn’t look particularly nice to me especially on a $50,000 or $60,000 machine. This is obviously a subjective thing.

8. The flip up feature of the soft top in the cargo area is brilliant. I briefly owned a ‘15 Wrangler with a soft top and HATED trying to load cargo in through the tailgate with the back window in place. A full bag of groceries would not go into the cargo area without turning it over on it’s side first. Rolling up the back vinyl window was tedious. The flip up clamshell top appears to address this problem very well.

9. As others have said, the factory soft top is not insulated and appears to be a single layer that leaves the metal framework exposed. The last time I looked at Jeep the base vinyl top is grey, looks cheap and doesn’t age well. While Bronco’s top looks far superior with the nice black cloth or twill exterior, it still looks a little utilitarian or unfinished on the inside. I suspect it’ll also be noticeably louder than a multi layer top. My wrangler had the optional “sun rider” top from Bestop that I think had 3 layers. Twill exterior which looks nice like the Bronco’s exterior, but with a layer of rubber presumably for insulation, noise deadening, and water proofing, and then an interior headliner layer to make it all look nice. I don’t remember any framework being visible.

10. I didn’t mind the “Bo” bar. Being OCD, it does bother me that it covers the Bronco on the grill but it still looks good. I think the redesign rumors are just rumor. I don’t see how they could lower it and not block the camera or raise it and not look goofy and/or still block some letters.

sorry for the long post. in summary, I’m still super stoked about the Bronco and can’t wait to take delivery of mine. Clearly the team at Ford put A LOT of thought into the details and succeeded in making significant and well thought out design improvements compared to the primary competitor. But a few aspects of the interior (and lack of a V8) were a little bit of a disappointment to me on what would otherwise be my dream vehicle.

here are the pics:
Ford Bronco Feedback & pics from  Bronco event in Richmond, Virginia: Badlands on 33's + Black Diamond BD Bronco1

BD drive away after the event:
That’s great color and nice photos too. Thank you.

Sponsored

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Bronco reps told me these two Broncos will be touring dealerships from Virginia to Maine. They are heading your way...
Bummer. Well if they end up close by at least I'll get to see the Sasquatch package and Antimatter in person.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks. That AMB Sasquatch video is officially at the top of my list.

Two big take aways for me

1. I know everyone is hyper focused on 33s vs 35s. Sure you can’t really tell that big of a difference when looking at the tires straight on. But what really sets the Sasquatch apart is the wider track/tires paired with the flares. Particularly when viewing the truck from the rear. There’s a huge difference. Only half of the tire overlaps with the body of the truck. It really looks like the chassis is taken off a bigger truck with a smaller cab mounted on top. It’s an aggressive look that you simply don’t get with a non sasquatched badlands.

2. Given I’m attempting to use this as a family hauler, after obsessing with interior dimensions and comparing it with other SUVs/trucks, I am not surprised by OPs feedback. Adequate legroom, huge headroom, but width wise it borders a compact/midsized suv. The numbers just aren’t there. Although I would hope the extra headroom and boxiness of the cabin with large side windows helps offset that. I doubt you’d get any claustrophobia, but that extra elbow room isn’t there. I’m sure it will make due for a long road trip for a family of 4, but it’s probably nothing even close to say an F150 where you could spread out.

OP do you agree with that on size? Does it seem doable for a long family trip?
I agree with that. If you haven’t sat in one yet, go sit in a wrangler and Ranger. It’s somewhere in between. Definitely more comfortable than wrangler, and more headroom. It’s narrow though, won’t be a family hauler for us just my toy.
Sponsored