Sponsored

Off-Road 72 Hour Bag

Deleted member 13702

I have an candle inside my shelter bag. When its cold I carry a sleeping bag, otherwise, my spare driveshafts and my spare rear axle shafts are wrapped in two heavy moving blankets. I have been thinking about building a small alcohol heater utilizing a roll of tp, a bottle of alcohol and a metal can. A bigger version of this one
Nice, I think you’re good to go!

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good thing you'd have the mres since a 100 yard deer and a 45 suck.
Yeah, my plan is to sit back and enjoy the peace and quiet until the cavalry arrives!

Last edited:

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Appreciate these well-done gear posts you're throwing up. Definitely a better way to pass the time than bitching about this or that.

I think if you're mostly vehicle based, you're pretty well set. If you're humping that pack miles away from your rig, I think you could lighten up and make some compromises. But very, very well organized. I like that you tape your battery sets.

Man, I'm all for preparedness and I appreciate the usefulness of a firearm in specific situations, but a lot of folks seem to have an outsized impression of how useful one is during any given 72-hour period, especially in contrast to, say, warmth and hydration.:LOL:

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Roger that, and to ensure that John Wayne doesn't roll over in his grave, it is actually cavalry.
Spell-check was even warning me about the error and I didn't look back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Appreciate these well-done gear posts you're throwing up. Definitely a better way to pass the time than bitching about this or that.

I think if you're mostly vehicle based, you're pretty well set. If you're humping that pack miles away from your rig, I think you could lighten up and make some compromises. But very, very well organized. I like that you tape your battery sets.

Man, I'm all for preparedness and I appreciate the usefulness of a firearm in specific situations, but a lot of folks seem to have an outsized impression of how useful one is during any given 72-hour period, especially in contrast to, say, warmth and hydration.:LOL:
Yeah, and doing this makes me consider what I have while I am posting. I have to set-up a ham radio that I took out of my Samurai and maybe I will post up some of the cool features of that in the next few days. I agree with your first statement. Definitely looking forward to this and the BN forums having build threads, trail reports and the "what does this thing do" questions instead of helping pick colors (but I feel for those that didn't have an immediate "this is it" color - I had to go with my third pick for my FE since the first two weren't available).

Fedexman1978

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely need the compass.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s my itemized list:

72 hour bag

5.11 rush 72 bag
Viking rune protection patch
Heavy duty d ring carabiner
6 niteize s-Biner
Flash light
Fixed blade knife
Military surplus E-tool
Razor tooth folding saw
Estwing axe
100 feet of paracord
Desert shemagh
Replaced pull tabs with Fire coord
5 hour energy
Assorted zip tied
10 feet of duct tape
Ferro magnisium rod
Signal mirror
Secondary flashlight
3 Chem lights
Notepad
3 pens
2 sharpies
Spare boot laces
Baby wipes
3 m95 dust masks
Second ferro rod with whistle
Water proof matches
Mints
Sunblock
Vaseline
Tylenol
Nasal spray
Hand sanitizer
Third flash light
Playing cards
Trash bag
Handkerchief
Hand warmers
Ear plugs
Lighter
Bug spray
50ml of tequila
Super glue
Chapstick
Compact towels
5 oz of silver
100 dollars cash
SAS survival guide
1 military issued tarp
SOL emergency bivvy
Work gloves
20 liter folding bucket
Travel toiletry kit
Life straw
Cold weather top and bottom
Extra socks
Lock sac water proof bags
Titanium spork
Fozziles foldable dishware
1 complete first aid kit
1 5.56 mini mag
30 5.56 rounds
1 9mm mag
50 9mm rounds
Binoculars
Hand crank radio with flashlight
Camelback 1 gallon
3 day supply of food items

Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My list, FWIW. I carry this in a 10L dry bag in my vehicle at all times. YMMV, as I have some things duplicated for redundancy, like water sources and making fires.

Food/water:
1 pkg Datrex ration bars (12 servings)
4 bags potable water (4.27 oz. each)
1 collapsible water bottle
1 water purification straw and belt case
1 bottle water germicidal tablets
1 bottle water neutralizing tablets
Spork

Warmth:
6 chemical hand warmers
1 30-hour candle
15 storm-proof matches
1 match spark strip
10 feet fire paracord
7 tinder wicks
1 fire steel

Tools:
1 compact multi-tool with hammer
1 folding trowel/compact shovel
1 roll duct tape
1 pair work gloves

Shelter/protection:
1 mylar tent
1 mylar sleeping bag
1 mylar blanket
1 rain poncho
1 balaclava
1 pair winter gloves

First aid/hygiene:
First aid kit
1 pkg personal wipes (48 count)
1 microfiber towel

Safety/miscellaneous:
1 hand-crank flashlight
1 high-decibel alert whistle
25 6-inch zip ties
2 mini carabiners
50 feet paracord
1 lanyard
1 compass
4 chem light sticks

I have a drop-down Molle panel from Springtail Soultions installed on the inside rear door of my FJ where I lash the bugout bag, my trauma kit and 2 other Molle bags containing bungee cords, heavy-duty zip ties and an extra winter hat and gloves. I also have Springtail's Molle basket installed over my wheel well containing a fire blanket, heavy-duty climbing rope, carabiners, stuff sacks, an emergency blanket and bungee cords. A lot of folks will say this is overkill, of course, and honestly I have never had to make a run for it or survive overnight yet. But I'd rather look back and say I had a fighting chance than not be able to look back because I didn't have these tools when something crazy happened.

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, already lots of great info already and the OP really got this thread going with a bang.

Something I noticed in other forums/threads when this subject comes up someone will rightfully and helpfully post pics of their awesome gear. Then, people new to the subject will see the pics showing $100s-$1000s worth of equipment and say something like "I can't get / afford all that stuff right now!".

You're probably right, you probably can't. But Rome wasn't built in a day, either.

Speaking for myself (but I'd wager I'm not alone), setting up Get Home Bags (GHBs) for my vehicles was a process that evolved and is still evolving. Not all of it has to be acquired today, but you can start today with the "little things" that won't be so little when you need them.

Got a 6-pack of bottled water handy? Write the date on it (rotate it out in 6 months) and put it in the trunk or wherever in the vehicle works for you.

That getting-old set of sturdy shoes? Get a new pair and put the old ones and fresh pair of socks in that gym bag that's been lying at the back of your closet doing nothing. Put the bag in the car.

You have spent next to nothing and have started on your kit.

The next time you are at the gas station, buy a few butane lighters and put them in your vehicle and/or bag. You can buy that $500 BurnzItAllUp 2000 later, a cheap Bic will work great for now.

Next time you are at the market, get a pack of granola bars that I always see on sale. They are a great get-you-by food. Rotate them out with the water.

Many of these items can be had on the cheap, but you will want to spend money when it needs to be spent, tools are the first thing that comes to mind for me. Get yourself a quality multi-tool and put it in the gymbag with the shoes, socks, and lighter.

Start that kit!

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I might not have seen it but maybe a hand crank emergency radio and a walkie-talkie?
I do have two ham radios in my rig (and will have them in the new Bronco as well) a handheld ham radio in my travel bag and a Spot satellite messenger on the bag as well. I didn’t show the small travel bag I carry in all my vehicles, but that’s where they are located.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do have two ham radios in my rig (and will have them in the new Bronco as well) a handheld ham radio in my travel bag and a Spot satellite messenger on the bag as well. I didn’t show the small travel bag I carry in all my vehicles, but that’s where they are located.
Sounds like your pretty much ready for anything! I know who to call if I'm ever stuck in Colorado!
Sponsored