jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
UPDATE and edited - Looks like we gain another solid inch over the 51.8” benchmark. See photos below. The gap is ever so slightly bigger between the 4 door seat and b pillar. The B pillar on the 4 door must be a little bit bowed.

We have confirmed the 2 door b pillars are in fact 51.8” apart per the drawing and ford dimensions.

Nonetheless putting the exact inch aside, those bigger guys that have raised concerns with the 4 door have to do with the fact that your shoulders are sitting in between the pillars.
Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point 9C1848ED-5C85-4443-8A0A-CBF76A5A3E8A

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point 0B868728-B253-4C3C-A32F-CF8FD8D7BED2

So there has been some feedback that the 4 door feels snug. Some discussions around the protruding B pillars. I did some snooping and thought I’d share.

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point 0B6F647F-8A27-46D1-B66E-9CA07189D2DC

Granted this is a 2 door where the B pillars aren’t problematic since they’re further back. But what do you see here? There’s almost no space between the b pillar and seat is the obvious. What else do you see? The B pillar is align with the rear shoulder dimension. We have that number from Ford! It’s 51.8”. Fords 4 door shoulder room from door panel to door panel is 57.1” but B pillar to B pillar looks to be 51.8”.

And unfortunately the B pillars on the 4 door overlap your shoulders since the b pillars are pretty forward facing. Ie the side of you upper body rests against the b pillar if you’re say 6 ft tall and don’t have the seat forward.

Bere’s my outback

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point 90496050-B6E5-4E8B-B377-5F295587A04F

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point E2A7E179-4AD5-44E0-B2D5-B6D06448944B

Similar at 52”. But Unfortunately the bronco doesn’t have these cut outs, and the seats are much further back in relation to the b pillar. So I put my seat all the way back in the tracks so I was sitting against the b pillar like I would be in a bronco. Then put a book up against the cut out to mimic what it would feel like.

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point F367AF15-C46F-4583-9488-A15EED981C32

I’m 6’-0” 210 with a average shoulders. With my elbow on the arm rest holding the wheel, my tricep was within 0.5” of hitting that imaginary bronco b pillar. So that’s what some of the bigger guys are talking about with the b pillars.

hope this helps. If you’re concerned with width I would do the same thing in your current vehicle by putting your seat back to overlap the b pillar and see what 51.8” feels like.

for reference here are some photos of the 4 door. Note the b pillar curves up at the top which doesn’t help. It will clear your shoulders but something to consider.

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point E266DE9F-2E02-4519-80F7-46349E2E71B9

And here’s the seat all the way back in it’s track so you get a sense of the positioning of the bpillar

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point 6D7BA037-D73D-4137-8858-A539F820E04C
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great investigation.

These seats seem to be pushed allllll the way back. Otherwise the seatbelt sling would be sitting next to your head.

I'm relatively short for a man (5'8"), so I can't speak for you gigantor people, but I suspect it will be a minority of people pushing the seat that far back during normal driving.

We need to compare some stills from the ride-alongs to see where the driver's are falling in term of the B Pillar. Their shoulders may be forward of it while in a normal driving position.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@ZackDanger i was thinking the same. I already went ahead and added another photo above with the seat all the way back. After viewing a few photos it seems like anyone 6-0" will probably have some overlap with the B pillar on the 4 door...this is not really a problem with the 2 door.... It seems like for the 4 door bronco, the B pillars are at least a few inches forward in relation to the seat compared to most trucks. Honestly I think you would need to be under like 5-6” for your shoulders to not overlap a portion of the b pillar. Look at the distance from the steering wheel to the b pillar in the photos with the errr larger gentleman

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So is the 2 door different with the longer doors? I haven't studied this that closely.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So is the 2 door different with the longer doors? I haven't studied this that closely.
Yes, this isnt really a problem on the 2 door since the B pillars are further back and dont overlap with the seat. Unless you had your seat ALL the way back, then maybe it could somewhat come into play.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I noticed this too when sitting in the driver seat 4dr at my show-n-tell. I'm 6'0" and with seat all the way back it felt a little snug at the shoulders. Fortunately for me I needed to move the seat up to 'drive' safely/comfortably. My interest at the time was to get a sense of how much knee room existed behind the driver with the seat in its best location for me. I did notice a less snug feel at the shoulders as I moved the seat forward a few notches.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting.....I am going to measure my 2 door Jeep just to compare
you should also put your seat further back so you overlap the B Pillar to see how it feels.....although, if you're replacing your 2 door jeep with a 2 door bronco, this isnt really an issue on the 2 door broncos, only the 4 door.

Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

Hmm. I have very broad shoulders. This may be an issue since I’m 6’1”. This is going to make seeing the Bronco a must before I finalize everything. I don’t like feeling squished.

Thanks for the post and the pics!

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am 5' 11" and tend to move my seat so that my wrist is on top of the steering wheel. That is as far back as I go, well playing with the steering wheel height and depth so both the wife and I have clearance and the wheel is not in our lap or a old schoolbus/60's big rig.

I have noticed this keeps me out of b pillars and I then adjust my seat for best visibility and comfort.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m not sure this is as much a matter of how tall you are as it’s how wide you are being tall. A large framed person would probably make most mid-size options interesting. If you’re tall and lean, it might not be an issue at all.

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not sure this is as much a matter of how tall you are as it’s how wide you are being tall. A large frame would probably make most mid-size options interesting. If you’re tall and lean, it might not be an issue at all.
I think it's all going to depend on leg and arm length... which will impact how far away from the steering wheel you want to sit.

Looking at the ride-along videos, it looks like the typical placement for the driver puts the headrest right at the front edge of the B-pillar... putting shoulders in the same general area.

No idea how tall these people are, though.

Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.12.57
Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.13.41
Ford Bronco 4 door Bronco shoulder room, B pillar pinch point Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.14.54
Sponsored