North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

These are all about a year old. If they are all wrong, I'm going to be disappointed. I guess we'll find out more when the actual tests reports start coming in. I just don't see how it's possible that the Bronco will not have adjustable suspension.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/07/f...-will-feature-adjustable-g-o-a-t-modes-video/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ion-system-may-feature-goat-modes-142763.html

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...-and-a-trippy-suspension-system-ar188246.html

Why are you looking at one year old videos instead of information forum members are trying to help you with?
Bronco Patent: Like the F-150 line, you have to step up to the Raptor to get FOX Live Valve shocks. Will Bronco ever really implement this patent, maybe in the $70K to $80K market segment.
Ford Patents “G.O.A.T.” Dynamic Suspension System (Including “Daredevil” Mode) for 2021 Bronco

Please study the market instead of just saying what you think the market should be, here is the battle of the off-road luxury trucks:
How the Ram TRX’s Off-Road Suspension Compares to the Ford F-150 Raptor

For the current market and your requirements I recommend one of these three:
  • Land Rover
  • Ford Raptor
  • RAM TRX
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adaptive suspension is not a bad idea, I would maybe select the option if it were a reasonable price on the Bronco as well, however, it is not a feature in this price point vehicle, say $40K to $60K. it's just not in this market segment. Please look for a single example truck from Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Ram, Toyota or Nissan that offers it in this price point?

What are the price points of vehicles that offer them?

Land Rover Dynamic Response and Adaptive Dynamics

Ford Raptor FOX Live Valve technology

Ram TRX Rebel to feature adaptive suspension

Bronco Patent: Like the F-150 line, you have to step up to the Raptor to get FOX Live Valve shocks. Will Bronco ever really implement this patent, maybe in the $70K to $80K market segment.
Ford Patents “G.O.A.T.” Dynamic Suspension System (Including “Daredevil” Mode) for 2021 Bronco

Please study the market instead of just saying what you think the market should be, here is the battle of the off-road luxury trucks:
How the Ram TRX’s Off-Road Suspension Compares to the Ford F-150 Raptor

For the current market and your requirements I recommend one of these three:
  • Land Rover
  • Ford Raptor
  • RAM TRX
You're totally right North7. Like I said, Stage 2 or higher.

What is likely is an adaptable suspension on the Worthog from factory, but that's a special vehicle like how BMW has M///

Of course, Denny can indeed upgrade his suspension to the equivalent or higher if he or anyone wants to spend the money.

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect a Warthog level upgrade would be another $12K above the Squatch for a full set up, not just changing some damn coilovers which alone don't mean much when crawling the rocks.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I generally like a stiffer spring than factory up front anyway and that significantly helps reduce body roll (at least in Taco, Ranger, 4Runner and FJ) and levels the front. I’ll likely do that in Bronco.
When you increase front roll stiffness, it makes the vehicle understeer more. You may not notice it in day to day driving. Understeer is much more benign than oversteer but that will definitely lower the limits.

I'm not saying what you plan is bad. Just that it has other consequences as far as cornering balance is concerned.

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's difficult to know for certain, but according to this article from several years back (see link further below), a majority of Wrangler owners do at least some off-roading in their vehicles.

Per the article, a Jeep dev manager stated they found 85% of Wrangler owners reported going off-road. And when only taking into account the 2-door Wrangler, that percentage jumped to 93%.

Personally, I have a hard time believing the percentages are that high. Although when living in Colorado, nearly everyone I knew with Wranglers or other such 4x4s, did at least some off-roading, even if mild. On the other hand, in my current Chicago location, no way. So it's a regional thing.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/business/cars/20130714_Jeep_Wrangler_is_an_off-road_classic.html
I am in Chicago area also.....no way around here. But I was just in Colorado for the weekend and I am sure there is higher off road use there.

And I don't care if people are buying the Bronco for the image.....free choice. Ford will need this to build a brand that has long term success.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am in Chicago area also.....no way around here. But I was just in Colorado for the weekend and I am sure there is higher off road use there.

And I don't care if people are buying the Bronco for the image.....free choice. Ford will need this to build a brand that has long term success.
Agreed and agreed. Although from a lifestyle point of view, pretend adventure is anathema. I'd strongly encourage folks to get out there and have real adventures. The new Bronco should be a nice tool for that. Put some dents in the skid plates. Have some passengers screaming to get out and walk, lol.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Pressure makes sense, width does not. Putting the surfaces of the tires farther apart is literally one of the techniques for making fast vehicles more stable.

Raptors aren't as wide as dump truck just because it looks neat.
May have been referring just to the width (or size) of the tires (not the Bronco) under low pressure gives the tires more side to side flex increasing the roll feel.
🤷‍♂️

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok. I want to say that’s good, but I’m still uncertain what body roll defines. Do I just feel “less” of the road?

Like, it’s softer but not meant for hugging a turn?
Try driving an RV on the highway on a windy day. You will experience body roll, white knuckles and severe pucker factor.

To be honest, I would think that most large SUVs experience body roll. They are not very aerodynamic and really catch the wind.

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
What comparable vehicles have this standard?
It's not wrong to want this feature. Comparable..no. But my Type R from comfort/sport/race mode adjust steering, throttle response and suspension.

If you want this feature you could get adjustable shocks (King's for instance) where you adjust 1-5?; but then again you have to get out and do this with a turn of a switch on all shocks.

However, it looks like if you get the "Lux" package it has "evasive steering assist"... So when you swerve/make hard turns the shocks stiffen to avoid a rollover situation. So i think it has what you are looking for with the upgrade. ??

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is about what I expected for a softly sprung offroader.

It also explains the super low tow rating and low to no roof weight rating complaints.

....and yet there are still those who think the Squatch will have a stiff ride "because of the stiff springs required to lift it". :rolleyes:
This is where many will have issues with the Bronco when they expect it to ride and drive like a Range Rover. It seems like the advent of its return has drawn people who wouldn't dare be caught in a Jeep, but will also have no frame of reference for these types of vehicles.

Thanks for the report @broncosor !
[/QUOTE]

Tried getting my wife to test drive a Wrangler so she has an understanding of what they basically feel like. No dice, she’s stuck with it once we buy it though so it’s her deal.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It's not wrong to want this feature. Comparable..no. But my Type R from comfort/sport/race mode adjust steering, throttle response and suspension.

If you want this feature you could get adjustable shocks (King's for instance) where you adjust 1-5?; but then again you have to get out and do this with a turn of a switch on all shocks.

However, it looks like if you get the "Lux" package it has "evasive steering assist"... So when you swerve/make hard turns the shocks stiffen to avoid a rollover situation. So i think it has what you are looking for with the upgrade. ??
All Bronco shocks are mechanical, the Lux does not change this.

Ford Bronco My Moab Bronco ride review and detailed 33" vs 35" tires ride comparison BILSTEIN End Stop Control Valve (ESCV) Dampers

Sponsored

Mudknight

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-750, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2014 Ram 350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have yet to have a vehicle with a Bang and Olufsen sound system I like. I wish Ford would try another route.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2D BaseSquatch, 1967 Bronco, 2016 Range Rover
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the write up! I just can’t comprehend how a vehicle like this would not offer magnetorheological shocks. Especially with all the goat modes. That makes zero sense to me. If the goat modes only adjust throttle response and automatic transmission shift points, they are pretty much worthless especially on a Bronco with a manual transmission. Cockpit adjustable shocks have been around for decades, and are standard on most vehicles in this price range. Boasting about all those goat modes when the suspension isn’t affected, just makes no sense.

Edit: Ok, maybe I’m wrong:
https://carbuzz.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-suspension-system-can-dance-to-music

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-active-suspension-modes-patent/

According to this, the suspension is adjustable (hard to believe it isn’t), but everything I’ve read prior to this said the goat modes did not affect suspension. And if it is adjustable, I don’t understand why body roll would be excessive on the road.
The current bronco options don't include any sort of adjustable suspension. It really is that simple. That said the Bilstein setup in the Sas and BL is incredibly well sorted out. Personally, I would rather have the simplisity of a well sorted nonadjustable suspention then a complex adjustable suspension. That is coming from a guy who has owned BMW M cars and Range Rovers.

IamtheBruce

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ta2punk

Raptor
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks for the write up. So, if you were only getting Lux for the B&O sounds system, would you recommend going Lux or staying with high and therefore the base sound system?
I'm wondering the same as I was getting lux partly for the upgraded sound system but this is the 2nd time I have heard that it is kind of underwhelming. Might be worth just getting high package and upgrading the sound system later.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Per the article, a Jeep dev manager stated they found 85% of Wrangler owners reported going off-road. And when only taking into account the 2-door Wrangler, that percentage jumped to 93%.
Pretty sure they made sure the definition of "off-road" was either extremely vague or intentionally wide. As in, "If you've ever pulled over onto a soft-shoulder, you've been off-road," or, "If you've ever driven on dirt or gravel, you've been off-road." That makeshift dirt parking lot at the pumpkin patch or Christmas tree lot next door to the grocery store doesn't count. 😄
Sponsored