ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why are fuel efficiency and off-road capabilities mutually exclusive? Why is everyone ok with crappy gas mileage??? It makes no sense. Do you like paying more at the pump? We should expect more....
Fuel efficiency and off road capability are separate and opposite goals. Off roaders vehicles are generally heavy due to all of the hardware, large tires, big axles, etc. Basically everything that makes it good off road makes the gas mileage worse. Perhaps you are really wanting a crossover? Something that looks sort of cool, but underneath is really just a car?
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same ones that were in St. Louis on Friday

Scottrj12

Big Bend
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nope! I pay the same as everyone else!
Ha, ok. I guess as long as “everyone” is accepting of the crappy MPG then Ford doesn’t need to progress and improve the technology.

I just don’t think it’s unreasonable in 2021 to want a vehicle with awesome off-road capabilities and good gas mileage.

So much complacency...

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha, ok. I guess as long as “everyone” is accepting of the crappy MPG then Ford doesn’t need to progress and improve the technology.

I just don’t think it’s unreasonable in 2021 to want a vehicle with awesome off-road capabilities and good gas mileage.

So much complacency...
You asked about paying more for gas. I pay the same as everyone else.
If you and I pull into the same gas station at the same time we’re paying the same price right?

Scottrj12

Big Bend
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Fuel efficiency and off road capability are separate and opposite goals. Off roaders vehicles are generally heavy due to all of the hardware, large tires, big axles, etc. Basically everything that makes it good off road makes the gas mileage worse. Perhaps you are really wanting a crossover? Something that looks sort of cool, but underneath is really just a car?
Ford’s brilliant engineers can do it! I have faith in Detroit’s capabilities to progress the technology. They just need a push from us, the customer. We need to ‘demand’ it.

Sponsored

Scottrj12

Big Bend
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You asked about paying more for gas. I pay the same as everyone else.
If you and I pull into the same gas station at the same time we’re paying the same price right?
Come on dude, don’t be that guy. He’s lame. Don’t be lame.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why are fuel efficiency and off-road capabilities mutually exclusive? Why is everyone ok with crappy gas mileage??? It makes no sense. Do you like paying more at the pump? We should expect more....
I pay 2.39 a gallon..the problem is you live in California..why is living in California and paying high gas taxes mutually exclusive. Why is everyone in California okay with astronomical gas taxes? We should expect less taxes..a lot less.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think a Bronco Sport sounds a treat in this situation given the needs the user has stated.

So much complacency...
I would like cold fusion to be viable. Heck, i'd like 1980's-2020's nuclear technology to be in use here in America today! Yet here we are, being "complacent" with our 1960's nuclear tech and the only fusion we have is well above room temperature.

The concept of accepting and the concept of possible engineering seem to have been confused in here somewhere so I certainly won't harp on the subject again as others have. You've set your flag down and this is the battle you're going to win come hell or high water! You won't be complacent in this. You're going to prove to the world what is newly possible!!!

Personally i'm fully supportive of your new engineering career, MIT has low acceptance rates and lower gratuation rates but I believe in you, your vision, and how you're going to change the world!

Just do us all a favor and don't go down the Elon Must trail of just slamming the taxpayer with all the risk, burden and financial responsibility. John DeLorean was a visionary with that and Musk brought it into the big leagues, the taxpayer can't handle too many more visionaries like them.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I pay 2.39 a gallon..the problem is you live in California..why is living in California and paying high gas taxes mutually exclusive. Why is everyone in California okay with astronomical gas taxes? We should expect less taxes..a lot less.
I could save $0.32 per gallon simply by moving to your state of Missouri! Sometimes the devil is in the details, and the details, in this case, is how your state taxing authority derives it's transportation infrastructure budget. Here in WA we tax the ever living hell out of gas (current legislation has us moving to $0.674 per gallon, recapturing the #1 national ranking we held for about 30 years until California got jealous).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could save $0.32 per gallon simply by moving to your state of Missouri! Sometimes the devil is in the details, and the details, in this case, is how your state taxing authority derives it's transportation infrastructure budget. Here in WA we tax the ever living hell out of gas (current legislation has us moving to $0.674 per gallon, recapturing the #1 national ranking we held for about 30 years until California got jealous).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States
yep..but hey your state has a great coastline. We have a balanced budget. And our infrastructure is middle of the pack. Roads are fine, “nothing a new Bronco can’t handle” 😆

it’s a low property tax state also, but we do have state income tax..you don’t have to move to my state ..you can simply demand your state lower their fuel taxes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Scottrj12

Big Bend
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think a Bronco Sport sounds a treat in this situation given the needs the user has stated.

I would like cold fusion to be viable. Heck, i'd like 1980's-2020's nuclear technology to be in use here in America today! Yet here we are, being "complacent" with our 1960's nuclear tech and the only fusion we have is well above room temperature.

The concept of accepting and the concept of possible engineering seem to have been confused in here somewhere so I certainly won't harp on the subject again as others have. You've set your flag down and this is the battle you're going to win come hell or high water! You won't be complacent in this. You're going to prove to the world what is newly possible!!!

Personally i'm fully supportive of your new engineering career, MIT has low acceptance rates and lower gratuation rates but I believe in you, your vision, and how you're going to change the world!

Just do us all a favor and don't go down the Elon Must trail of just slamming the taxpayer with all the risk, burden and financial responsibility. John DeLorean was a visionary with that and Musk brought it into the big leagues, the taxpayer can't handle too many more visionaries like them.

I’m just looking for better MPG than 16 for a cool off-reading vehicle in 2021. Doesn‘t seem unreasonable.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m just looking for better MPG than 16 for a cool off-reading vehicle in 2021. Doesn‘t seem unreasonable.
It's not an unreasonable request but engineering is about tradeoffs. To be a good off-road vehicle it needs things like high ground clearance and short overhangs. Off-road vehicles need good visibility which means more upright windshields. These things come with the tradeoff of poorer gas mileage. The Wrangler has crap gas mileage as does the 4Runner.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So much complacency...
Maybe you should wait for Ford to release the actual numbers, the rest of us will just be complacent.

Have you owned a truck or off road vehicle before? Prius, Civic and Corolla are not apples to apples comparisons.
Sponsored