Sponsored

Does the FordPass Unlock feature work if you don't have internet access?

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sadly, on more than one occasion, I have been out in the middle of nowhere and have either lost my keys or locked them in the vehicle. So we ordered our Bronco with the "Keyless Entry Keypad" to avoid this problem in the future. However, it got me thinking about the FordPass Unlock feature where you can unlock your Bronco (or other Ford vehicle) with your cell phone. Does anyone know how this works in regards to internet connectivity? When you use the FordPass app on your cell phone to unlock your vehicle, does your cell phone use the internet to connect to some Ford server that then sends a signal to the vehicle to unlock the doors? Or does your phone connect directly to the vehicle to unlock it?

In other words, if we are again out in the middle of nowhere and I don't have internet access on my phone, can I use my phone to unlock my vehicle?

Thanks for any info!
Sponsored

Toaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR, ‘19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately it doesn’t speak to your phone via WiFi/Bluetooth so you have to have cell service. It would be a nice feature though

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks guys! That answers it. Makes me not regret getting the keyless unlock pad. :)

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Last season I was hunting alone in the middle of nowhere. I had just gotten back to the truck after the morning hunt and it was warm so I started the truck to run the AC and left the fob in the console, as I loaded up the bed and got my gear put up outside the cab. My key fob had been having problems occasionally being recognized as I approached the truck, but it usually worked after a try or two so I hadn't bothered to get it fixed.

Well I guess the truck didn't sense that the fob was inside the truck. I heard a click, only to realize the truck had locked itself. My best guess is it didn't think the fob was inside and perhaps it's a safety feature to deter theft on a running vehicle by automatically locking.

I had my phone with me but wasn't getting service. I remembered the truck came with sirius guardian for the first year and like the OP hoped that the truck could possibly be unlocked even without service.

I walked about a mile to get cell service. I called sirius and they said they could unlock my truck but it would lock back in ten minutes as a safety feature. So I told them to unlock it and then ran a mile back to the truck only to find it completely locked despite me not exceeding the ten minute window. I walked back a mile to service. Called a tow company, gave them my VIN and my gps coordinates off a sketchy back road way in the mountains. I tried the sirius unlock one more time just for kicks and ran back another mile only to find the truck still locked and running. Tow truck finally showed up about 2 hours later. Only good thing is the tow company made me a spare key off my VIn that I now hide outside the cab. Took all of 2 seconds to unlock it with the new key and the tow truck driver walked away $400 richer and me $400 poorer.
Not to mention my half a day wasted and 2 miles of unwanted exercise!

Why every manufacturer doesn't have a key pad entry is beyond me in this day and age. Don't trust the electronics and all the crazy safety features. If something can go wrong it will go wrong in the backcountry.

Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last season I was hunting alone in the middle of nowhere..... If something can go wrong it will go wrong in the backcountry.

I feel 'ya. I'm a huge fan of the exterior keypad. Ford is the only one that has 'em, don't know why.

Before I'd always leave my keys hide somewhere on the vehicle. I may not be the one to make it back, and I'd hate for the others to be stuck due to my arrogance. And, even if I make it back the keys may not, could lose them, break or damage the FOB, lose the pack or where ever I put 'em.

I go where the Revenant was set, the movie may have been fake but the events a possibility. If you or your horse gets hurt, shit gets real, real quick.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If something can go wrong it will go wrong in the backcountry.
Good point about something will go wrong if it can in the backcountry. Also makes a strong statement for the Bronco to be the wrong kind of vehicle to first offer a digital manual only to be accessed on the Sync screen. Ford's big marketing message is to use the Bronco to get "off the grid" but then say it will only be offered with a digital manual. Will not be getting to far off the grid when you need that. sounds like they should keep that for the Mustang Mach E (or even regular Mustang for that matter)...

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

FordPass is awesome and works well, but relies on connectivity. Not only does your cell need internet connectivity via cell or wifi, but your Bronco needs connectivity via ATT cell network. If your phone is getting T-Mobile service but your Bronco can’t get ATT, then no unlock. I will be putting the crappy keyless pad in the fuel door or under the vehicle somewhere since it’s hideous.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.... Ford's big marketing message is to use the Bronco to get "off the grid" but then say it will only be offered with a digital manual. Will not be getting to far off the grid when you need that.....
I thought the manual would be stored in the memory of the display. No outside access required. Am I wrong?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the manual would be stored in the memory of the display. No outside access required. Am I wrong?
It is just stupid to have the manual in digital format only, especially if you're working on it. What you going to do, run back to the cab every time you need to turn the page or look up something? kind of awkward if you are under the hood or chassis. First thing I will be getting a hard copy, I like to get my shop manuals dirty.

Sponsored

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is just stupid to have the manual in digital format only.....
I agree, I think they were just trying to save trees. I assume there will be PDF version available online very soon. You can always print a copy, but really it is not uncommon to need your laptop to work on a modern vehicle. Not only for the OBDII and Forescan, you also need youtube videos.......:D

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Owned my f150 for 3yrs and still to this day haven't ever used the keypad and can’t remember the dang keypad code to use it. But I do know I had it reset at one point by the dealer, ashame I cant recall what we set it as lol.

never had a need to lock my fob in the truck. Never take the fob out and sit in the truck.

i also have never locked my jeep w/ soft top in the 8yrs Ive owned it. If I hit the water, I had a hiding place on the exterior for my key.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Owned my f150 for 3yrs and still to this day haven't ever used the keypad and can’t remember the dang keypad code to use it. But I do know I had it reset at one point by the dealer, ashame I cant recall what we set it as lol.

never had a need to lock my fob in the truck. Never take the fob out and sit in the truck.

i also have never locked my jeep w/ soft top in the 8yrs Ive owned it. If I hit the water, I had a hiding place on the exterior for my key.
And I have not taken the keys out of my super duty in probably 3 years. Use the keypad daily. It’s liberating never having keys in your pocket.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If something can go wrong it will go wrong in the backcountry.
I agree, I think they were just trying to save trees. I assume there will be PDF version available online very soon. You can always print a copy, but really it is not uncommon to need your laptop to work on a modern vehicle. Not only for the OBDII and Forescan, you also need youtube videos.......:D
True, there should be a pdf version but it just seems like extra work to prepare for in advance of when you need it. I mean are you going to print this off prior or just after driving it a few days? No, most will put this off until it's to late. Plus, good luck fitting a few hundred 8.5x11" pages in your dash. And no it is not to save trees, it is to save a nickel on a $50K car. Ford should at least give us the option for a printed manual. That way they can blame consumers for not wanting to save the trees.

I am also speaking from experience with a recent Jeep purchase and no printed manual to speak of. I have found it highly aggravating several times and told myself I wouldn't buy another car without one first... but here I am.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So true, I always have my iPad handy when working on my Bike or Car these days...
Sponsored