Sponsored

A word of warning to those who may not fully understand what they are getting into

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They had Wranglers 80 years ago?
It's just an updated version of the original military MB Jeep. They changed the name from MB (Military second iteration) , to CJ (Civilian Jeep) to Wrangler. The CJ to Wrangler change was to distance the brand from the infamous '80's rollover hype. Just like the Bronco name carries a bit of the rollover scares from the original Bronco and Bronco II. Ford decided the positives of recycling the name outweighed the negatives.
Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, in fairness, unlike the CJ/Wrangler, which the world understands to be one ongoing concept of a fun off-road vehicle with the same general look forever (with the four-door expansion in recent decades), you may be surprised how confused the “world” at large is about what a “Bronco” is. There’s the Gen 1, the generations of the full-size Bronco, and the Bronco II. And now the damned Bronco Sport. Even a self-proclaimed Bronco diehard on this Bronco forum this week somehow declared that the new Bronco is much smaller than the “original” Bronco. The laymen are all over the place in their idea of what the new Bronco is.
Its a compact SUV with better than average off road capability, that's all that matters! How it compares to the Jeep or any other vehicle is always subjective.

Reactions: MPC

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They had Wranglers 80 years ago?
pretty much

WW2 was in full swing on the ground for the USA by 1943

2021 - 1943 = 78. Close enough.

the Jeep Wrangler is clearly the descendant of vehicles used in WW2 made by Ford, Willys, etc.

So yep, 80 years old.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, for anyone who doesn't want to get out and get after it, there are far more choices. Even a 4 Runner may be a better fit for those who just need endless space for junk when they're too lazy to properly pack and be efficient. So, there is no need to chastise us for wanting a rugged, rough edged off roader, so arguing this point is silly.

Bronco won't be uncomfortable, but this ain't no damn Cadillac neither!
You know, my parents have a Ford Explorer platinum edition with the electronic third row seating and the butt massagers in the front seats and they love it. My wife has a Cherokee Trailhawk and probably needs something a little bigger, but she's happy with it and keeping her happy is a large part of my job.

When I saw the Bronco was coming back, I was all over it. I want something I can take out in the stupid places I go in the desert and feel a lot more confident than I do in my full sized pickup. I'm glad there's that option for me. Were my desires different, I might choose something different as well!

I'm just glad there are lots of options for different things that will satisfy different desires. If all the SUVs were just a bunch of Tahoes, it would be a sad world. And frankly, a lot of the SUVs in the market, I look at and think, "Back in the 70's, we just called that a station wagon."

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco A word of warning to those who may not fully understand what they are getting into 8C4FE8CD-521C-4371-9B04-E3FF6CCC3B57

I know, people are surprised that I’m out, and have asked to cancel my order. That’s me in the back seat of a badlands this week.

while I am certainly a well-fed fellow nowadays, my bones haven’t grown since I was in my teens. I’m sitting behind myself, as I had asked people to do in various posts when access to the preproduction models was limited to very few people.

I am only 6-2, with a 32 inch inseam. I’m big, but not insanely so. (Yeah, I can lose some weight...)

as you can see, there’a barely room behind me for myself. And my head is well above the roll bars. My view is rollbars. I could see the ground but not the mountains

This would not be good for a 12 hour road trip. Not even for a one hour road trip This does not fit my family. Anybody large with sons growing up in their large footsteps - like mine - should take heed of that picture.

now, I even get an A-Z code discount. My badlands was going to cost less than any of yours- and I still have to back out of the deal.

this was not an easy decision but it was the right one - for me

Ford made a mistake by making the back seat this small, and doubled down with the stadium seating vs roll cage height.

Sponsored

TheColemans05

Badlands
First Name
Josh & Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silverado Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the takeaway the Wrangler is the only vehicle the Bronco can compete with? Both Wrangler and Bronco compete with other vehicles and the majority are used as family SUVs not climbing out of the devils bathtub. The compact SUV and crossover segment is huge, putting out a warning because its not the largest or most luxurious vehicle out there is nonsensical. Maybe the Bronco should come with a disclaimer "Government Warning! This vehicle is known to the state of California to not compete with any other vehicle except Jeep Wrangler".
I dunno if you get the lift kit and MT's on a Turbo Subaru Outback you have a third catagory competitor.

Ford Bronco A word of warning to those who may not fully understand what they are getting into 1619803768910

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I grew up riding in the back of a two-door Volkswagen Rabbit with my two brothers. Many 12-hour road trips each year. I think I'll be okay in my Bronco.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco A word of warning to those who may not fully understand what they are getting into 1619803768910

I know, people are surprised that I’m out, and have asked to cancel my order. That’s me in the back seat of a badlands this week.

while I am certainly a well-fed fellow nowadays, my bones haven’t grown since I was in my teens. I’m sitting behind myself, as I had asked people to do in various posts when access to the preproduction models was limited to very few people.

I am only 6-2, with a 32 inch inseam. I’m big, but not insanely so. (Yeah, I can lose some weight...)

as you can see, there’a barely room behind me for myself. And my head is well above the roll bars. My view is rollbars. I could see the ground but not the mountains

This would not be good for a 12 hour road trip. Not even for a one hour road trip This does not fit my family. Anybody large with sons growing up in their large footsteps - like mine - should take heed of that picture.

now, I even get an A-Z code discount. My badlands was going to cost less than any of yours- and I still have to back out of the deal.

Ford made a mistake by making the back seat this small, and doubled down with the stadium seating vs roll cage height.
I don’t think many people will back out over the back seat...I’ll never sit there, and at 6’1” and over 2 bills I was fine there. My kid might be big one day...but that is a long ways off and I’m not cancelling because he might outgrow me one day and be uncomfortable in the backseat of my off road toy. I couldn’t care less. I wouldn’t want it any bigger.

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You know, my parents have a Ford Explorer platinum edition with the electronic third row seating and the butt massagers in the front seats and they love it. My wife has a Cherokee Trailhawk and probably needs something a little bigger, but she's happy with it and keeping her happy is a large part of my job.

When I saw the Bronco was coming back, I was all over it. I want something I can take out in the stupid places I go in the desert and feel a lot more confident than I do in my full sized pickup. I'm glad there's that option for me. Were my desires different, I might choose something different as well!

I'm just glad there are lots of options for different things that will satisfy different desires. If all the SUVs were just a bunch of Tahoes, it would be a sad world. And frankly, a lot of the SUVs in the market, I look at and think, "Back in the 70's, we just called that a station wagon."
Amen brother!

Your stable of rides is impressive. Fact your wife drives a Trailhawk beast earns my respect for both of y'all.

Like me, you'll beat on your Bronco and have the smiles per mile to show for it, so cheers to you!

It's all about choices. I don't look down on luxury SUVs, my wife has one that is a mix of luxury and high performance; that's what she likes and you're so right that keeping the ladies happy is a husband's job.

However, for me, my Disco is long in the tooth, so I want a modern off roader for camping, etc; thus this Bronco 2 Dr. I wanted a short wheelbase for wheelin; nothing wrong with the 4 Dr at all, just my personal taste. There them choices go again.

I just wish guys will stop trying to morph this Bronco into a damn Expedition and just get one of those and stop bugging all of us who are happy with what the Bronco will be for us.

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will preface this by saying a few things so you can take this for what it is worth which may be nothing to most of you:

- These are only my opinions
- I sat in the bronco a few days ago
- I am not necessarily an off road enthusiast as most of you are, I will be using this to chase deer and elk in the West
- I have only been in a few Jeeps in my life and have never owned a Jeep product

I will start by saying the Bronco really is a beautiful vehicle. Pictures do not do them justice. However, anyone viewing this vehicle in any other way other than a Jeep Wrangler killer is going to be surprised. It is exactly that, a Jeep Wrangler killer. I agree with those that say it is 15-30% better than a Wrangler in almost every way, but again just an opinion and not a Jeep guy.

People that have not yet realized that this Bronco is more like a Jeep Wrangler than any other type of vehicle are in for shock. 99% of you here know what you are getting into, but I think some people should hear this before going to see it.
This thread is beyond silly. Is there anybody that will purchase
So many people ordering Broncos seem so clueless. I bet a lot of them are disappointed. Here on B6G we had:

—the FL guy who wanted the engine block heater, claiming it would increase the trade in value. He had no idea it would require you park near an electric outlet and then had a meltdown about why Ford would not include a several hundred foot extension cord with it.

— the AZ guy who went on and on about why no heated seats in a Base model. Guy was losing his temper online about the inhumanity of it. Said he lives in Phoenix, but might drive to Flagstaff where it snows. Said Ford was putting his wife and children in danger of freezing to death from no heated seats.

— the MO guy with a 7,000 pound boat. Said if he wrecked he would sue Ford for manufacturing a vehicle that can’t tow his boat.

All of these people made reservations for a Bronco, and all are buy the wrong vehicle. Ford does make the right vehicle for these people, but it’s not the Bronco.

edit to add: look at the threads about lockers. So many people are absolutely clueless about how a 4x4 system works.
You pick out a few quotes from
I dunno if you get the lift kit and MT's on a Turbo Subaru Outback you have a third catagory competitor.

1619803768910.png
I'll stay with Bronco thanks! I'm no fan of the Su

Seriously the front seat all the way back and its not touching your knees? I'm only 5'7" and in any of my vehicles if the front seat is all the way back it's crammed against my knees. I understand backing out if its not what you want, but bailing out because its in the rear with the front seat all the way back? The Bronco is not an Expedition.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will preface this by saying a few things so you can take this for what it is worth which may be nothing to most of you:

- These are only my opinions
- I sat in the bronco a few days ago
- I am not necessarily an off road enthusiast as most of you are, I will be using this to chase deer and elk in the West
- I have only been in a few Jeeps in my life and have never owned a Jeep product

I will start by saying the Bronco really is a beautiful vehicle. Pictures do not do them justice. However, anyone viewing this vehicle in any other way other than a Jeep Wrangler killer is going to be surprised. It is exactly that, a Jeep Wrangler killer. I agree with those that say it is 15-30% better than a Wrangler in almost every way, but again just an opinion and not a Jeep guy.

People that have not yet realized that this Bronco is more like a Jeep Wrangler than any other type of vehicle are in for shock. 99% of you here know what you are getting into, but I think some people should hear this before going to see it.
I'm suspicious of the motive of those that come on a fan site and say stuff like this? What's the point? If its not big enough or luxurious enough for you fine get something else, but coming on here to warn us its "just" a jeep is silly. Attention seeking.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let me clarify: People aren’t getting a wrangler clone, they are getting something much better in my opinion. I am using a Jeep Wrangler for modern contextual comparison as clearly does Ford. I am convinced the average layman is still a little unclear as to what this vehicle is going to be, maybe I am wrong but I've watched it play out multiple times so far.
I'm sure when Ford gets around to needing to actually market the Bronco, they will try to explain it with more videos like this one. :)

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm suspicious of the motive of those that come on a fan site and say stuff like this? What's the point? If its not big enough or luxurious enough for you fine get something else, but coming on here to warn us its "just" a jeep is silly. Attention seeking.
I think you misunderstood OP. He is warning people that the Bronco is more so like a Jeep (albeit, better in about every category) than a luxury and/or large SUV and to gauge their expectations accordingly. There have been a rash of posts on here lately where people have been shocked, shocked!, about the size of the Bronco after seeing it in person and another bunch of posts about the utilitarian nature of the interior. Reading your previous posts, it sounds like you and OP are actually in agreement.

Last edited:

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This thread is beyond silly. Is there anybody that will purchase

You pick out a few quotes from
I'll stay with Bronco thanks! I'm no fan of the Su

Seriously the front seat all the way back and its not touching your knees? I'm only 5'7" and in any of my vehicles if the front seat is all the way back it's crammed against my knees. I understand backing out if its not what you want, but bailing out because its in the rear with the front seat all the way back? The Bronco is not an Expedition.
5-7? We call that snack sized in my family. I’m the little guy on both sides of the family. I was that tall in about 6th grade. The guys in my family are 6-3, 6-4 and 6-7. We need space. Funny how that happens. And our offspring needs space too.

The seat is NOT all the way back. That’s the catch. As the driver I had space. But not the back seat. My boy is destined to be 6-2 at a minimum and there’s no room back here for him. He’s only 3-4 years away from being a 6-footer. It’s coming - the doctors charts are the same as mine were.

my wife is almost as tall as me. There’s no back here. we can have only one car unless you want to slide me about $40K to buy another parking spot. Therefore, this had to work.

Ford worked so hard to copy the wrangler that they made a wrangler with a horse on it. That would be awesome if I were 20 and only had to worry about a copilot. But this thing doesn’t work for a whole lot of folks. I now realize why the early publicity stunts were coy about back seat room - because there ain’t much.

you can search my post history. You’ll find numerous posts from me asking about the back seat room - and the issue got ignored.

and now I know why.
Sponsored